removing tower shanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn-Brewtality

Four Beasts Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just got a new kegerator (downgraded to a 3 corny dorm fridge from a 20 c.f chest freezer... apartment living). the tower came with the shanks and 5ft of hose installed. I need to replace the 5 ft lines with 10 ft lines, but for the life of me cant get the nut inside the tower loose at all. i figure if i can loosen it i could unscrew it the rest with my fingers, but its like these damn things were JB Weld'ed in! any tricks?

I use a flat blade screw driver and a hammer. Just tap the nut using the screwdriver.

I was able to do it with a wrench. A small wrench, mind you. It took a lot of patience. Patience, cursing, sweating, and I think I threw a broom somewhere. I got it though.

Once I got my beer line attached, I used the force to rethread that thing and it was done lickety split. It was a true zen-like moment.

I still haven't found that broom.

I'm guessing the same guys that make the tower nuts also make the tower nut wrench...

"Let's make these nuts so ridiculously hard to get off, then we can charge people $41.50 for the wrench...they'll buy it to avoid the hassle!"

Latest posts

Back