Pin lock versus ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ball locks are shorter by a small amount. Personally, I like the pin locks, but my supplier started only carrying ball locks, so that is what I have. Either are fine. I just like the twist action to secure the pin locks. The ball locks are ocassionally a bit harder to put on. (Like when you put them on the wrong side...)

I have pin locks and like them since it's impossible to mix up the gas/bev lines (3 pins vs 2 pins). Pin lock parts are a little more scarce, but any of the major keg suppliers carry everything you need. Keep in mind you'll need a special ratchet to take off the pin lock posts (I think I bought mine for about $15 online).

Ball locks are shorter by a small amount. Personally, I like the pin locks, but my supplier started only carrying ball locks, so that is what I have. Either are fine. I just like the twist action to secure the pin locks. The ball locks are ocassionally a bit harder to put on. (Like when you put them on the wrong side...)

I think you have that backwards. Ball locks are taller and skinnier than pin locks; 8.5"x25" for ball lock vs 9"x23" for pin lock.

I use ball locks because I can fit four of them in my keezer, where I'd only be able to fit 3 pin locks. My friend on the other hand has a mini-fridge kegerator that will only fit pin locks because of the short interior. Some people prefer the pin lock disconnects because you can't accidentally put them on the wrong post. The posts are interchangeable if you want one size but the other fittings.

I have both, 5 pin lock, and 1 ball lock.
Only because its the "odd-ball", the ball lock is my least used keg-even though I have QDs for both.

I think you have that backwards. Ball locks are taller and skinnier than pin locks; 8.5"x25" for ball lock vs 9"x23" for pin lock.

I use ball locks because I can fit four of them in my keezer, where I'd only be able to fit 3 pin locks. My friend on the other hand has a mini-fridge kegerator that will only fit pin locks because of the short interior. Some people prefer the pin lock disconnects because you can't accidentally put them on the wrong post. The posts are interchangeable if you want one size but the other fittings.

Yup. He had it backwards.

The main advantage of ball locks is their availability. If you buy pin locks, buy 12 when you can find em. If you buy ball locks, buy as many as you can afford (I.E. 4 at a time). You'll always be wanting more kegs if you're like most of us.

I hate pin-locks because the poppet opens before the lock is seated. Got hosed many times working concessions by the dammed things.

But the 2- vs 3- is a valid point. I've attached to the wrong post twice in 11 years. PITA.

Back