Major Help Needed - CO2 Regulator Splitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollner

Reaction score
Hi

I'm really (REALLY!) struggling. I have the WYE (Y) splitter to attach to my regulator so I can carbonate to cornys with the 1 CO2 tank.

*I CANNOT figure out how to install the WHY splitter.
Where does it go? There is the fitting where the gas hose attaches too which is where I though I should install the WHY splitter, however, I cannot seem to budge that and I'm not even sure I'm really supposed to. It seems to be welded on and enforced w/ some kind of white tape.

Please help, if you can.
I'd be very very grateful.

Thx!
Andy

It attaches to your CO2 lines using clamps. 1 Line from the regulator, 2 lines to the kegs. The 'Y' connector ties it all together. It splits your CO2 line into 2 lines.

yeah, you are trying to back out a pipe thread it sounds like.. What does your y look like?

Like this one?
Wye Splitter Assembly w/ 1/4" Barb

I have gotten those out, but you will been to put it in a vice with a big wrench, you won't be able to hold it in one hand and then break it free.

Yea, like that.... It sucks too because I think I stripped it so now the CO2 line dosn't screw in all of the way.

The guys at the beer supply store made it sound easy as 1 2 3.
Suggestions?
I really really appreciate it!!!

Thx!
Andy

Oh boy. That’s not sounding good… Do you mean to stripped off the flats on the fitting that you push the hose on to, or did you strip the threads? The later is more of an issue, the former, you can just put a pipe wrench on it.

A photo would help…

flips

Sounds like it's too late, but when gas fittings refuse to budge with reasonable pressure, add heat.

At this point, perhaps the best outcome would be assured by taking the reg and fittings to said LHBS?

Cheers!

It may be worth mentioning that some gas regulators have left hand threads. Try turning the fitting the other way

You never know. Good luck to you

I was going to say, it may be left-hand threaded. Turn it the other way if you still can. On another point, and I don't mean this to be at all insulting, since you're saying it's 'reinforced with some kind of white tape', I'm assuming you're fairly unfamiliar with plumbing and fittings. That white tape is teflon tape and is required to seal the fitting to the body of the regulator. Without it you'll chase leaks until you're out of gas. In general, all pipe threads (NPT, they look tapered from the side) need tape or pipe dope. Flare fittings (have a cone-like apparatus on the end) do not get tape or dope. These are found on keg QD's with MFL connections (MFL, incidentally, means Male Flare). Kyle

Back