explosion in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofootbreak

Reaction score
So i woke up, and wanted to make some breakfast. Opened the fridge and everything that was on the shelf above the veggie drawers is now inside the veggie drawers. I put two six packs into the fridge last night, one in the door and one in the veggie drawer... Ive never heard of a bottle bomb in the fridge, and find it strange that the bottle would wait until I decided to cool it to blow, especially since theyve been carbing for 4 weeks now.

So its either a bottle bomb in the fridge, or the glass shelf gave out and the large glass bowl that was over the six pack fell on top and broke a bottle. Leaning towards the former, but what do you think? has anybody had a bottle blow inside the fridge?

Picture doesnt say much except "my fridge is now a mess"
DSCF0113.jpg

bottle bomb is my guess. really, I don't see that as the culprit either. Tempered glass is very resistant to shock. But the weight of a bowl of anything isn't going to cause that break. And, the fact that you have exactly one broken bottle is suspect.

Open one of the others ones... gusher?

Ive drank about half of this batch, and they are all undercarbed. Definitely mixed the priming sugar poorly, and I know this because I tasted the last bottle that didnt get filled completely and it tasted crazy sweet, and because of the undercarbed beers.
I figure if one was overcarbed there must be a few more in this batch, but I havent had a single beer from this batch that even had satisfactory carbination. Plus I would think after a little more than 4 weeks at 68deg I would have had this happen before I decided to chill it... But at least it didnt blow while I was carrying the sixer.

I suspect the bottle was at it's limit and the cold caused the metal and glass cap to compress just enough that a weak spot gave way. What's the broken bottle look like?

so sorry that happened to you .. if that happens in my fridge the swmbo is going to kill me .. i pray it doesnt ...

maybe it was just a bottle that got an infection somehow?

Back