can i keg it right now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Ok I just got my new kegging equipment, including a reconditioned corny. Im still waiting on my CO2 tank to get filled, and was wondering...

can I rack my beer into the keg right now before I have the ability to pressurize it and carbonate it? the beer has been sitting in my primary for like 5 weeks so its obviously done and i need my primary right now, but am afraid to move it to the keg right now if I dont have my CO2 ready, especially because it will still be up to a week before I get the tank filled.

I realize this could be a stupid question, but Im just worried!

if you don't have c02, you could always just drop in some corn sugar to prime it, rack to the keg, and let it carbonate naturally.

Either keg and carb naturally or, u can transfer it's really just like a secondary until u carb it so u run the same risk of oxidation as using a secondary. although make sure u use some keg lube and get a good seal.

I thought you had to put some pressure into the keg to make sure the o ring seals, is that not correct. Or will it pressure up fast if you put in priming sugar?

I say go for it. Put it in a keg and prime it with corn sugar. It will take a couple weeks to carbonate, and yes, usually it's best to seat the lid and vent the oxygen with co2, but if you need your fermenter it won't kill you to stick it in a keg now and get things rolling. It just depends on the keg how well it seals without some pressure. Some keg lube will definitely help. Yes you might have a bit of o2 in the keg but it probably won't hurt the beer. You could even vent it after a few days of naturally carbing and probably clear the headspace.

Keg it and prime it. Worst case, the lid doesn't seal and you'll have to force carbonate when your gear arrives. Best case, it will hold and you'll be able to enjoy a few pints early.

Latest posts

Back