Is Scrumpy the same thing as apple cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have all these friends from the UK, especially Cornwall, that go on and on about Scrumpy and how I should get some. Is this the same thing as apple cider? I know it is made from apple juice. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

In North America, "cider" is usually unfiltered apple juice. In the UK, it would mean what NA would call "hard cider." Blame Prohibition.

Scrumpy is a style of cider (the hard kind) that has not been filtered at the end, so it is a bit cloudy. Not really sure how they manage it. When ever I add pectic enzyme, it clears up, so they may not be doing that either.

Scrumpy is the same thing as hard apple cider. It's a term that people use in the UK, especially areas where you'll find cider made, like Somerset. Just take some fresh pressed apple juice and put your choice of yeast in.

That sounds way better than "Hard Cider" I always feel 19 years old when I say that.

Scrumpy does not have any yeast added, it's a spontaneous ferment from the crushed apples. delicious stuff, best cider you'll ever drink. It's normally up to about 8% alcohol and they'll only allow tourists to drink two pints of the stuff. Nice stuff.

Would it be the same thing here as "Wood Chuck" Hard Cider? I thought that was nasty.

No. Wood Chuck is cheap cider, and it is not hard to make a better cider at home. While nobody would beat you up over mixing up cider terms because it is very easy to do, I think the Somerset people that Teromous mentioned would be highly offended because that is one of the best cider making regions in the world.

There are four or five different types of woodchuck. I have never had a good one. There are a lot of better ones in the states. Magners, Woodpecker, Original Sin, Strongbow, my favorite right now is Crispin honey. Ive had J.K.'s and its pretty tasty as well.

Back