Scrumpy with store bought ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmcp

Reaction score
I do not have access to gather my own "scrumpy" apples, so I was interested if anyone has some ideas how to make a scrumpy hard cider with store bought ingredients and ingredients I could buy at a home brew store? Thanks in advance. Go Bills!

Please describe your desired characteristics of “scrumpy”. It can have differing meanings across different regions.

When I make a scrumpy cider from store bought juice I boost the abv a little and add oak. Those two characteristics give me a boldness I associate with “scrumpy”.

Best example I found to describe "scrumpy cider" is a rough and tumble, hazy, maybe even a little chunky, "farm hand's drink." (From Drew Beechum's "Everything Hard Cider Book.") The recipe in that book calls for added raw chopped steak. Ew. Not happening. Thanks.

From what I've read about scrumpy, the "dynamic equivalent" would just be fermenting the cheapest apple juice available to you.

If you want to try to replicate historic scrumpy, I guess you could try fermenting it hot (maybe with a mixed culture blend?) and adding (heavy-handedly) some malic acid and wine tannins to get a "coarser" character.

Thoughts?

Wikipedia says it should probably packaged and served still rather than carbed, be quite tannic, and be hazy. You could buy the unfiltered juice / cider to try to get the haze to carry over, then degas as it's fermenting, and add wine tannins & acid blend for complexity.

Kinda want to try this myself now....

I don’t think scrumpy should imply unpalatable. Maybe just, unrefined. I agree with the wine tannin. Personally, I think oak accomplishes the same function with added character.

I believe acid enhances cider as a whole and this isn’t necessarily a scrumpy character.

I don’t think I’d ferment warm either. Again, unrefined is the goal, not a hot boozy mess. This is a s why I like to boost the abv but still maintain my standard fermentation temp.

Latest posts

Back