Honey Laundering, the new international scandal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm listening to an interview with a Pullitzer Prize winning journalist who broke the story in America...I did a bit of digging...and it's true.

So just WHAT is going into our meads??????

honeybanner.gif

The honey business is plagued with international intrigue, where foreign hucksters and shady importers sometimes rip off conscientious packers with Chinese honey diluted with cheap sugar syrup or tainted with illegal antibiotics.

The Seattle PI seems to have the most comprehensive coverage on it...(That's where the guy interviewed is from ) There's a lot of info here.

Honey Laundering -- a special report | Seattle P-I

I also found this article online in bee culture magazine...Honey Laundering reported from China through Australia into the U.S.

This is crazy a$$ stuff....

Honey Laundering reported from China through Australia into the U.S.

by Alan Harman

China Death threats and a mystery car brake failure followed after a senior figure in the Australian honey industry attempted to expose a racket involving Chinese honey being relabeled and shipped to the United States. "My wife and chldren were in the car when the brakes mysteriously failed within days of the death threats," the man said. The threats came after he warned that the relabeling "had the potential to destroy our industry, not just give it a dent." The man now is so concerned he refused to allow his name to be published. "My wife is terrified," he said. Told of the threats, another big player said he was not surprised. "There's a lot of dollars inviolved in this."

The drama came to light during a Bee Culture investigation into the scale of the Australian honey relabeling operations. This found that up to 2,228 tonnes (nearly 4.5 million pounds) of Chinese honey was shipped to Australia and then re-exported to the United States in the 2001-02 financial year at a time when the U.S. had banned Chinese honey. The figures were published in a survey of the Australian honeybee industry released by the Australian Rural research and Development Corp. The report said: "Australia normally imports a relatively small quantity of honey. However, in 2001-02 Australian honey production dropped markedly due to widespread drought, particularly in the eastern states. Australian honey imports increased with most of these imports subsequently being re-exported by processors to fill export contracts. "Honey imported from Singapore in 2001-02, was most likely sourced from China and, along with other direct imports from China, was mostly re-exported to the United States." This was at a time when the U.S. - along with Canada and the European Union - had banned Chinese honey because of health safety concerns over the levels of the antibiotic chloramphenicol which has been linked to aplastic anaemia, a serious disease with symptoms similar to some cancers....(more at the above link)

I know some people have posted about finding cheap sources of honey...BEE CAREFUL!!!(sorry I couldn't resist.)

Remember because of Beehive Wasting Disorder, the last two summers there is actually a SHORTAGE of domestic honey in most places...So if you're finding a cheap source honey to make your meads...you may be making something else instead..

When was the last time high demand meant lower prices.

The reporter said that even local domestic honey farms are not above dilluting their batches with corn syrup to have more of it for their customers...

Mods...maybe this needs to be stickied (sorry can't stop the puns, but seriously it may be worth having this information easily seen.)

good timing on that post. I know some local bee keepers who, just this morning at the gym were telling me about this Chinese honey racket.

When it comes to honey, buy local, not that cheap blended stuff.

But the journalist said that even the local bee keepers may be blending or cutting...so you gotta get to know them really well.

oh I do. These folks are an institution around here.

Any big mead makers in the midwest, you oughta check out my link above. Some of the nicest folks on the planet, and have been in business forever.

Here's another link.

Interestingly enough, this ended up on the DHS (Dept Homeland Security) website where my dad found it and emailed it to me a week or two ago..

Interestingly enough, this ended up on the DHS (Dept Homeland Security) website where my dad found it and emailed it to me a week or two ago..

No way?!? Wow....Forget cocaine running...honeys the new backbone of international terrorism.

But seriously it's got me thinking about the whole melamine/tainted milk/pet food deal that happened. What is the lactose, corn sugar and maltodextrine that I have in my brewery cut with, it's all white powder, is melamine in there as well?

if you start to overthink it - god knows what will happen to your brain.
what kind of pesticides are used in the grain we brew with?
what could DME be cut with? baby formula? :)

what REALLY goes on at Wendy's/McD's in the back to your food?
what's in a hotdog?

Once you start to know the answers, the less you'll really WANT to know about it.

Humans like to live life blind to some of the realities - this is one of them. :)

look on the bright side... we are creating alcohol here... Alcohol sterilizes things right? :D

we really can't go too paranoid here.
I mean everything is bad for you even living.... you end up dead

Chinese honey has been a problem for at least a couple of years. I was under the impression that it was illegal to import Chinese honey, though I don't suppose it would stop suppliers in, say, Argentina, where we get a lot of our honey here in the US.

Good thing crocket honey distribution center is a few miles from my house. they have a little store front where you can get the freshest honey around for cheap too.

$112 for 60# for all types

I heard about this a couple years ago at a local Bee Keepers Meeting. It seems some of the old timers didn't like the idea of all the doctored honey comeing in from China. Seems it didn't actually come straight from China but got shipped a few places, repacked, shipped a few more places until it got to someplace where it could be shipped to the US. I guess it really caused the price of honey to bottom out for a while.

There was also some concern about the Bollen patties some of the Bee Keeping supply places were selling since the bee pollon came straight from china. The pollen from china came at feed rates and all the US produced pollen was sold to helth food stores for top rates. Do the math. if you were producing bee pollen who would you sell to? Farmers at low prices or health food stores for higher prices. ya camp blam them for buying the cheap stuff. I just don't know if I'd wanna buy any of it.

+1 on buying locally. Just bought 24lbs of clover honey from a local supplier, ran me a pretty penny but when my 6 gallons of mead is done it will be well worth it.

Lucky enough to be able to get my honey directly from a local beekeeper less than 20 miles from my house... usually get a 5 gal bucket every year... It costs a little more than some honey, but I know exactly where it came from, and it has all the local pollens in it...

Back