Going to brew mead ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsianMead

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm planing to make 10 Litre batch of Mead Ale.
The ingredient will have these.
- Honey (will choose later)
- Water
- Lime juice (from 1-2 limes)
- Hops (Saaz)
- Yeast (SAFBREW S-33 Beer Dry Yeast)
- Expect OG = 1.045

The honey, water, hops will be boiled together.
I don't want it too bitter so how many hops I should boil and how long to boil for the 10 Litre batch?

Sounds really good, but if you are going to boil your honey then I say make it in the style of a Bochet & choose really cheap honey from Sam's Club/CostCo type store. Boiling honey seems to be very very very looked down upon because any aromatics or unique flavors of honey are destroyed when you boil it. That basically makes the honey a simple sugar that adds more body than invert sugar or table sugar. However you can caramelize the honey which gives it its own unique characteristics. My Braggot follows this basic boiling routine.

Take 5lb of honey and boil on a low heat for 60 minutes. (Understand that honey volume expands anywhere for 4 – 5 times in volume when boiled. So go oversized on your pot.)
Next add in your first addition of hops to be boiled for 60 minutes along with about the same volume of water as you have honey. Make sure to add the water very slowly, It makes the honey pop and explode if you add it too quickly and it will burn the ever loving Sh** out of you. (Since you want less bitter in a 10 liter batch; which I think is about 2.6 Gallon US, You probably want 1oz I think. First addition would be .25oz)
For the last 15 min of boil add in half of the last of your hops
For the last 2min of boil add in the last of your hops.

I left my hops in the primary but I like the bittering/aroma of my hops. In my 5 gallon Braggot I used 4oz of hops. It turned out crisp, bitter & refreshing like a Guinness.

You could use a nylon bag to add the hops into the boil and just remove the bag(s) when you pour into the primary or may leave the hops in for like a day or two only & just pull out when you want.

Taken as dry as your yeast will go you should end up with an ABV around 8.5 - 9.5% by using 5lb of honey in a 10 liter batch. Starting gravity at around 1.068.

Also doing it this way I might suggest an orange instead of a Lime but that’s just me. Good luck and keep us informed. We need more Braggot brewers out there that are willing to make it from the start like this rather than blending mead and beer.

I did it on last Saturday.
I started boil only half of honey bottle (750 ML) with a 2 litre of water. When it's got hot I added 1 oz hop saaz by put them in the muslin bag.
It was boiled 1 hour. After the boiling I leave for while then add more cool water and once it cold enough I added more of the rest of honey then orange juice from 2 orrange.
Added more water until it reach 2 Gallon (Ferment in 2 gallon bucket)
Let it cool until 70 F I added yeast (Brewferm ale yeast from belgium). Yesterday the airlock was started bubbly slowly at 65 F. Today it's much faster.
The OG was 1.045 as I expected.
The aromas from hops and honey blended is really good also hidden by orrange smell.
How long should I leave in the primary?
I think 3 weeks then bottling it with primming sugar.

Mead is not like beer at all. My meads stay in primary minimum 1 month & then rack the clearer liquided to a new bucket/carboy. Then stays there 2 - 3 months more. That will allow it to further clear. Meads should be briliantly clear, I don't think the hops will prevent it from clearing too much at all. After 3 - 4 months of primary/seconary then I bottle.

I was added Irish moss at the last 10 min boiling time.
Only 1/4 teaspoon I don't know will it help or not.

I don't think you will need to have it in the process as long as Arpolis is describing with an OG of 1.045...I would leave it in primary until it has stopped and cleared, just as you would with a beer of the same OG.

You may want to backsweeten though...my experience with hop metheglins is they are best with a little residual sweetness...since you plan on bottle conditioning you can't stabilize and backsweeten in the regular way. You might consider trying lactose or maltodextrin, or a combination of both

There was another recent thread on a low gravity hop mead; some of what's discussed is already out of the bag, since you've already brewed, but you may want to check it out anyway...

All this talk of these hopped "session meads" has me thinking about it...I may have to go ahead and make one of these myself....

Do you think the Irish moss can help it clear faster?

I'm not sure it will have any effect...the Irish moss is generally added during the boil to help create a better cold break (coagulation of proteins in the boil during cooling). If anyone has heated honey before, you know there is a fair bit of protein material in it, and a lot of it comes up to the surface during heating, and can be easily skimmed off. I'm not sure how much "cold break" there is when cooling a heated honey solution, but I think the bottom line is that the Irish moss won't hurt anything, and it's cheap so why not give it a try.

However, if you're concerned about speed of clearing, what I would do is hit the mead with some other finings (I really like SuperKleer KC) after you're sure fermentation is done.

It was done in the primary and was bottled last Saturday with Muntons carbonation drops.
It has really good smell of saaz hop and mellow honey with little bitter and mildly dry.
2 days past the carb tablet was disolved but I noticed the sediment in every bottles I don't know what is it.
Should I wait until a couple weeks? I'm not sure those sediment will desolve or not.

Back