Hello from Texas (or Michigan)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkory

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm an engineering student who goes to school in Michigan, and interns in San Antonio 6 months out of the year. This past Christmas I was supposed to get some brewing equipment. Since I had a tiny car, the equipment went to my dad instead. I have been helping him brew since then, coming up with recipes, and really getting into homebrewing. I think I may have read every page on the internet related to brewing.

I have since gotten a truck and one of the first things I had to do was get my own equipment. I found some used stuff on craigslist for cheap (hey, I'm a poor college kid) and am pumped about MY OWN first beer. I want to try it before I give it a name and call it a success, but in it was:

7 lbs light LME
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs 300L malt (dont remember the name)
.5 lbs crystal 40L
1 oz of crystal hops (3.0 acid) beginning
1 oz of other hops (3.3 acid) end
1056 yeast
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.010

Anyhow, I hope it turns out well. I didn't give much consideration to the fermentation temperature (I've never thought much about it) and have been successful in the past. The ambient temp is around 78 degrees like everyone seems to keep their houses down here in Texas. It's been going for 10 days now and fermentation has nearly stopped plastic lid on the fermenter domes up about every 12 hours, I'll push it down, and 12 hours later it'll be domed up again. I assume it's just off gassing since the gravity hasn't budged from 1.010 for 5 days, and it tastes slightly carbonated. Besides that, the beer tastes good and I'll probably cut back a little on the priming sugar (to make up for the dissolved CO2) and bottle tomorrow.

Later!
-Mike

Back