Single Tier Rebuild - Lots of fun stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danz

Reaction score
Well when my brewing partner and I meet we quickly clicked and we started making killer beers. We both improved quickly and we decided to pull our resources together and build a nice 3 vessel single tier system. As the quality of our beers increased we decided it was time to rebuild and add some new toys.

We started the rebuild and here is what's planned:

• New burners and propane manifold system as well move to natural gas. We will be using BG-14 burners which are rated at 210,000 BTUs.

• Camlocks, we used plastic quick disconnects but time for more something easier that would not restrict the flow.
  • Hard Plumbed with 1/2 copper and all valve controlled. No more jumper hoses!
  • RIMs temp control, a 1500w 120v inline electric element will monitor and maintain the mash temp. Initially controlled by a pid but will be arduino controlled.
  • custom hop back to pack in that aroma
  • prechiller in a 5g igloo with 25ft of copper tube will help with our stubborn ground temp
  • inline sight glass so we can monitor the wort color
  • hot liquor tank sight glass to better calculate how much water we have and added.
  • 2 inline pumps so there is never a problem with flow or priming.
  • recirculation bypass so we never put excess pressure on the grain bed and maintain our desired flow
  • Strangebrew Elsinore Brewery Controller on Raspberry PI
  • Redesign of Brewpi and integration with URL="https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/new-strangebrew-elsinore-thread-475456/"]Strangebrew Elsinore [/URL]

Original Setup
Single tier, 2 pumps with plastic quick disconnects. It works but we want more!

N67AbmT.jpg

Here we go
Let's get this part started!

3RZSyV8.jpg

Hacking up the old stand
Made from an old Ikea bunk bed, bed frames and any metal we can get out hands on. We are nerds not welders but its amazing what a grinding wheel and paint can hide.

nUG2Xbt.jpg

Inverted Mash Tun base
We use an inverted mash tun and this is the base support for the tippy mechanism

skYWHsm.jpg

Inverted Mash Tun
Well look at that.

LBquXay.jpg

BG-14
No more issues coming to temp on full batchs

8NH8z6C.jpg

Admiring our work
So far so good.

YpHEaXJ.jpg

Action Shot
Welded 2 hinges to the back

BeSmA2X.jpg

Full dump ready for cleaning
Full extended, bottom drain will be removed and a spray ball inserted for clean out

yAT0vO5.jpg

Dimple Tool
We dont need no stinkin weldless fittings

pZltnyi.jpg

Dimpled
This had an 1/2 nipple welded in but was rusted and not sanitary. We bit the bullet, grinded it off and dimpled.

DrVcJmn.jpg

Silver Solder Diptube
Just a test fit but pretty happy with it, is it brew day yet?

j9CNZXg.jpg

HLT
Not bad.

yrV0xYA.jpg

HLT - Tee
Surface soldered tee with a dimple inwards and boy is this strong, we took a hammer to the test didnt budge. Thermowell and sight glass.

QfH2mNA.jpg

Test fit
Can we brew yet?

iyOyJsW.jpg

The lineup
Just need to finish soldering up the BK and sparge port on the mash tun.

KmW8GtY.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUiFmiF4A7Y[/ame]

Bootstrap - Desktop
First go at converting BrewPi to bootstrap, will have custom color scheme selector and user login for administration.

XmsEBcw.png

Bootstrap - Mobile
Brewpi on the phone, not perfect but its a start.

xnhTEAv.png

The keg is attached with a bracket with a bolt through the bottom of the keg, after I am done wrapping will take better shot of it.

Here is this weekends progress, Strange Brew is up and running along with modified brewpi system soon they will be integrated :)

Plumbing, Vessel output
Combined output on the way to be recycled

IEBV0Am.jpg

RIMS
a 1500 watt 110v element will be in here to help maintain temp

GAqk75h.jpg

Test Fit
A big thank you to @benbradford for the tips on his setup

YdMXmen.jpg

Gluing attempt 1
I didn't add enough glue and it came out in about 10 chunks.

Z1Q6nqw.jpg

Gluing attempt 2
Sanded some (left side) and added a ton of glue on the next try.

BFNnKaP.jpg

Top view
Not perfect but it works. Will be sealed with black silicone caulk.

1vhgKIT.jpg

Plumbing
Combined input into the RIMS, though a sight glass, pumps then off to either the mash tun or whirlpool. The bottom of the bottom of the 4 way recirculates the excesses from the mash tun to not collapse the grain bed.

Pp48fDy.jpg

You are welcome. Didn't read the whole thread, but you are being cautious with the burner not being too close to mash tun?

Good Luck!

You are welcome. Didn't read the whole thread, but you are being cautious with the burner not being too close to mash tun?

Good Luck!

I think it should be ok, there is a decent distance from the burner an the mash tun is not direct fire. If its an issue I can wrap the mash tun platform with sheet metal to shield it from the heat.

If you are still assembling, I have thought of wrapping keg in metallic insulation before wood to help keep temp.

Test Run
Time to test the system and see how well it works, after a couple of tweaks we will be ready for the final version.

nlAZaKh.jpg

Bypass in action
This is so awesome, we disabled the bypass (hose under the pumps) and starting pulling hard on the grain bed and you could see it instantly go cloudy. Opening the bypass the clarity returned after 10 seconds. We also discovered the bypass allowed us to kill the output to any vessel and recirculate with no change to the pumps. Awesome.

2rBkFTe.jpg

Tippy Tun
Simple & easy clean outs. I think the picture speaks for itself.
cY7IQ83.jpg

First Batch an IPL
A 5.5g hop monster and was a simple brew day.

Ss7IhoU.jpg

Sorry if I missed this, but why do you have the pumps plumbed in series like that?

This seems to be the biggest question about the setup, the first brewing setup was a merge 2 homebrew systems so we had 2 pumps. We only ran the second for whirlpool but found that it helped breaking though any flow issues we had and speed things up. When we rebuilt the setup we continue with both but the system can operate perfectly on a single pump.

We ran a small test transferring 5 gallons from the HLT to the boil kettle and with 1 pump it took 2:00 both 1:20. So its not a 100% increase in output BUT still an improvement and no additional cost for us. Now if we didn't have the bypass I would not run 2 pumps inline for a re-circulation system but we have flexibility and if we need to disconnect the pump we can easily remote it with camlocks. I will have a video of the bypass in action and you can see the effect it has on wort clarity.

Here is a quick video of the whirlpool of our most recent beer (IPL with massive amounts of hops) though the system with both pumps going:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYIYjBZa9g[/ame]

For reference here is a video of someone else experience with 2 pumps
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ndaTvJoVO0[/ame]

Its been a little since I have posted updates but we have been busy learning the setup and dialing it in. We have made some changes to the setup swapping out the mashtun, installing the RIMS, dialing in the recirculation and brewday process. We have just setup Elsinore Strangebrew so we will be data logging and focusing on repeatability.

RfrgBAu.jpg

Bypass in action, crystal clear wort in minutes.
umJhURn.jpg

Newmashtun
fJuxGxF.jpg

Cool, nice work. I'd be interested to see a flow diagram of your plumbing if you have one. Also, do you have a shopping link to that sight glass at the pumps?

Also, can you elaborate on the pump bypass concept? That's a new one on me.

Cool, nice work. I'd be interested to see a flow diagram of your plumbing if you have one. Also, do you have a shopping link to that sight glass at the pumps?

qUZ3FG3.jpg

Sight glass was just compression fitting from home depot and some poly tube from bargin fittings

Also, can you elaborate on the pump bypass concept? That's a new one on me.

Here is a quick diagram showing how it work
msvoYYB.png

So what's the advantage of the bypass plumbing over just having the standard pump output valve? Also, looking at the diagram are the 2 valves in the "middle row" of plumbing necessary?

So what's the advantage of the bypass plumbing over just having the standard pump output valve? Also, looking at the diagram are the 2 valves in the "middle row" of plumbing necessary?

The 2 big reasons for bypass plumbing:
  1. You can control the rate of flow during recirculation and sparging from a dribble to a torrent without putting stress on your pumps shortening its life.
  2. Depending on the grain bill/crush you can control the pressure on the grain bed preventing a stuck mash. Most large scale systems use a grant to accomplish the same thing but you have to worry about level sensors.

The 2 valves are not necessary BUT they do allow for flow segregation. I can boil 1 beer and be mashing another keeping controllable buffer and clean the lines out easier. Did a pilsner and negro modelo clone at the same time without crossing flavors.

Back