Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to be pissy about it....there are nearly 1000 pages of posts in this thread and your particular questions have been asked and answered repeatedly. If you had read more than "SEVERAL" pages of posts or searched the thread, you would have easily found several answers to your questions.

That said, backsweetening should be done at (or near) the end of fermentation, hence the name (after a wine has fermented out completely dry, vintners will use additives or heat to kill the yeast and then add new sugars "back in" to sweeten it....this allows for variations in how dry a particular fermentation may be and allows for adjusting to taste).

I've read every single post in this thread and while there were a couple discussions about back sweetening, there is not one that discusses adding non-fermentable sweeteners when assembling the recipe. I also asked about it and never received a response.

That was not my intention, just indicating the facts. I also found some discussion of back sweetening, but failed to find a definitive answer to add so much lactose, or so much Splenda at a certain time to achieve a level(s) of sweetness. I assume it could even be done by the bottle like bottle carbing rather than batch carbing. It may well be in here, but the sheer number of posts (even when using search) makes it a daunting task. This thread almost needs a locked sticky on procedures alone, in addition to Ed's excellent original post. IMHO. :mug:

I made my first batch without deviating from the original recipe. I put into primary on 1/16/12, and sampled on 2/28/12 and mine was still at 1.010 six weeks in. My basement is around 65 degrees most days, so maybe that is contributing to the slow finish. I do enjoy the level of sweetness at 1.010, but look forward to a dry finish when all is said and done.

I'm just amazed at how simple the process really is--I'm looking forward to sampling again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks EdWort!

That was not my intention, just indicating the facts. I also found some discussion of back sweetening, but failed to find a definitive answer to add so much lactose, or so much Splenda at a certain time to achieve a level(s) of sweetness. I assume it could even be done by the bottle like bottle carbing rather than batch carbing. It may well be in here, but the sheer number of posts (even when using search) makes it a daunting task. This thread almost needs a locked sticky on procedures alone, in addition to Ed's excellent original post. IMHO. :mug:

I think the reason people don't pre-backsweeten is the variability of yeast behavior. I believe even the same yeast used on two batches of the same recipe may finish a little higher or lower depending the batch of yeast, fermenting conditions, etc. Tastes vary, so too sweet for you might be the sweet spot for me (pun intended). When I back-sweetened, I drew off a 12 oz bottle, put a quarter packet of splenda in it, and tasted. I then did half a packet, and so on. Then I backsweetened per bottle, not in bulk. I went with 1/4 packet per 12 oz bottle, and 1/2 packet per 750 ml wine bottle. It had a funny aftertaste with any more than that, and maybe just a little taste with that much. I hope this helps.

. Then I backsweetened per bottle, not in bulk. I went with 1/4 packet per 12 oz bottle, and 1/2 packet per 750 ml wine bottle. It had a funny aftertaste with any more than that, and maybe just a little taste with that much. I hope this helps.

It did indeed. Hard to imagine a quarter packet in 12 ounces would even be able to be tasted. Thus your comment on to each his own. I guess the best approach will be to just try varying amounts by the bottle until one which suits the individual will be found.Think I may go with lactose for my first experimental batch. I would think six ounces for a five gallon batch might work. Think I will pour off a one gallon jug and add an ounce to it and let it age a bit and taste, etc. Good luck to all, it is fun isn't it! :cool:

The sweetness was fine with half a packet, but the artificial taste on the finish was too annoying. At a quarter packet it was barely perceptible (to my palate) but still took the edge of the dryness off.

Alcoholic koolaid wooo hoooo! I just started 3 one-gallon batches as an experiment. 1) With corn sugar and Nottingham ale yeast. 2) With corn sugar and Montrachet yeast (Ed Wort's original recipe). And 3) With organic cane sugar and Montrachet yeast. Also using Martinelli's 100% pure apple juice... no additives whatsoever. I'll post in about a month the results. Have a feeling the Montrachet yeast will taste the best but it will be interesting to compare the different sugars.

Here are the early results after only 16 days (couldn't wait) which I observed right after the visual signs that the primary fermentation had ended (airlocks stopped bubbling for a few days).

1) Notty... not so good... I didn't get a F.G. reading, but the hazy, rubber-tire tasting overtones stood out as the most notorious characteristics for this one. Cloudy, pretty hot, and not so good drinking. If it were to be placed on a serious wine tasting scale it would probably be ranked fairly low, about a 4.9 I'd guess. I'd give it about a 7 on a hobo wine scale though.:cross: I have used Nottingham yeast for a Welch's Grape Juice wine that turned out great due to the fact that it has more body such as most beers that brew well with Notty. Apfelwein has no body but is pretty tasty apparently.

2) Montrachet yeast w/ corn sugar (Ed Wort's original recipe): Better flavor, but there is still an essence of rubber at this young age. F.G. at 1.002. Pretty dry with not-so-tasty-off-flavors. Hobo: 7.5

3) Montrachet with organic cane sugar (C&H): Surprisingly the best tasting of the 3 early trials:ban:Tart up front like the others but with a slight bit of body and a smoother/sweeter finishand with noticeably less off-flavors. It also had the same F.G. at 1.002. This was the only one tasted that seemed (almost) ready-to-drink and it was also less cloudy than the other two. Hobo score: 8.5

TroutSwimmers said:
Here's the early results after only 16 days (couldn't wait) which was right after the visual signs that the primary fermentation had ended (airlocks stopped bubbling for a few days).

1) Notty... not so good... Rubber-tire tasting overtones on this one. Cloudy, pretty hot, and not so good drinking. If it were placed on a serious wine tasting scale it would be pretty poor, about a 4.9 probably. I'd give it about a 7 on a hobo wine scale though.:cross:

2) Montrachet yeast w/ corn sugar (Ed Wort's original recipe): Better flavor, but still there's an essence of rubber at this young age. F.G. at 1.002. Pretty dry with not-so-tasty-off-flavors. Hobo: 7.5

3) Montrachet with organic cane sugar (C&H): Surprisingly the best tasting of the 3 early trials:ban: Tart up front like the others but with a slight bit of body and a smoother/sweeter finish. Noticeably less off-flavors and the same F.G. 1.002. This was the only one I tasted that seemed (almost) ready-to-drink and it was noticeably less cloudy that the other two. Hobo score: 8.5

Cool preliminary! : mug: But I want to see 4 month taste testing!

I'm sipping on my first batch of apfelwein right now. It's clear and dry, with a touch of tartness, and damn good at only 40 days old. Looking forward to it getting even better. It tastes like a rather dry white wine, which is just fine.

An old fart with a low, fixed income, this wine is all I hoped it would be; it tastes good - much better than the sickly sweet boxed wines I had been trying - and is cheap to produce. The initial outlay for the 6-gal Better Bottle will pay for itself many times over, and may have already done so with just the one batch since my yield was five-and-a-half gallons (I could have poured more juice in, and will next batch).

I have a badly bulged disc in lower back and degeneration of discs in my neck. I use alcohol for pain control when it gets bad - which means I drink some alcohol three to four days a week - usually one or two glasses. A bit of snake-bite medicine helps alleviate that and other age-related pains - and helps me sleep like a baby. Not rationalization, just facts. Have been looking for an affordable drink that I can enjoy - this fills the bill better than I'd hoped.

The taste reminds me of a decent chablis. I let it ferment out and clear, and have a very tasty still, dry wine. Plus it's easy to make and not counting the BB cost only $4.90 per gallon. Starting my next batch this week. Thanks Mr. Ed.

I started my first batch 1-14-12 and bottled 3 weeks ago. As for my first tasting, it is a simi-tart dry wine. If you follow EDWort's recommendation to not judge till after 3 drinks you'll be drunk. I had 1 bottle, and I liked it. After 2 bottles, I was buzzed and liked it. After 3 bottles I was drunk and liked it, :drunk:. I don't think I'll try a 4th.

I only left mine in primary for 5.5 weeks and bottled carbonated for 3 weeks. I used EdWort's recipe except I used cane sugar instead of corn sugar. The final product is clear and crisp. It might be better after a few months, but it is very drinkable after 8.5 weeks. Enjoy!

Bottled up 51 bottles today. Now to wait for them to carb up.

Apfelwein.jpg

Man, I don't know if I'll have enough left to bottle, as I keep stealing glasses as it goes. I think the fermentation is over, and all 3 gallons taste different. Still tasty though.

Have to give credit to Edwort for this recipe. It took 1st place in Category 28 at Kona Homebrew Festival, good stuff.

I just bottled my first batch last night and man it was tart! I'm really hoping it mellows out. I only aged it for 5 weeks since I was getting impatient.

The starting reading was 1.056 and finished at .096 so it's pretty darn dry as well as potent.

I've been drinking on my first batch for a few months. Just a month in primary, then I bottled two bombers and kegged the rest. I'm gonna put one bottle in the fridge to see how it compares to what is in the keg. The other bottle will be for the six month mark. SWMBO and I really like this stuff. I need to get another batch going...

Ingredients

2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

I have a couple of questions:

1.) can I use regular white sugar?
2.) would there be any difference if I used Champagne yeast instead of Montrachet (we have both, just askin)

Thanks for the recipe!

MT2sum said:
I have a couple of questions:

1.) can I use regular white sugar?
2.) would there be any difference if I used Champagne yeast instead of Montrachet (we have both, just askin)

Thanks for the recipe!

1) yes, just make sure you use a priming calculator as you'll need more cane sugar than corn sugar.

2) I just made my first batch with champagne yeast a bit over a month ago (5th batch total). After just the first month it tastes way less harsh than the normal Montrachet does at that time. I'm a much bigger champagne fan than wine though, so maybe that has something to do it. I'd say go for it.

General consensus in this thread seems to be you should try and forget about it for 6-9 months if possible. You should be able to bulk age it in a carboy for up to a year, but I'd personally be inclined to rack it to secondary before doing so.

I would not let it go over 3 months before racking to a carboy or keg. After 3 months, get it off the yeast.

I've been searching online and in this thread for a good amount of time and have yet to find my answer. I would like to carb my apfelwein. I followed EdWort's directions 100% so far. However, my wife drinks Strongbow/Woodchuck and likes the amount of carbonation in those. I'm thinking the 3/4 cup dextrose/5 gal batch might be substantially more carbonated than the ciders she's used to. Also, I'm assuming she'll be spiking her apfelwein with sprite/7up. So my question is...

How much dextrose should I add to my 5 gal batch of apfelwein to yield similar carbonation levels to Strongbow/Woodchuck? TIA

Most folks treat it as they would bottling beer--1/2-3/4 cup of dextrose would be the norm. But if she'd prefer it to be just slightly effervescent, and she plans to add sprite/7up, then maybe leave it still and let the soda add the fizz, or bottle with 1/3 cup of dextrose.

I would recommend weighing your sugar. I have just carbed a few batches without my scale (a friend had it) and trying to convert table sugar from weight to volume resulted in some way undercarbed beverages. Maybe that's less of a problem with larger batches and dextrose, but I won't risk it again.

Is carbing just proportional with a gallon batch? If its more complicated with less wine then I'll just hit it with some 7up and call it a day.

CreamyGoodness said:
Is carbing just proportional with a gallon batch? If its more complicated with less wine then I'll just hit it with some 7up and call it a day.

Carbing/priming should be proportional, but this stuff IS awesome with some lemon-lime soda

I didn't see it amongst the million posts but has anyone tried oaking this? Any thoughts on that idea? Think it would turn out well?
Thinking along the lines of slightly oaky.... nothing crazy at all. Just a slight touch.
Any thoughts?

I just had a taste test of some apfelwein made with the following recipe:

OG: 1.070
1 lb cane sugar
3 rolls concentrate
~4 gallons Juice
3056 yeast
3+ months in primary (I am about to get it off the yeast).

I just took a gravity sample: 0.996
taste: pretty bad. Bland, very dry, the wife said yeasty, and not really much character. A similar recipe with half cran-apple juice blend and montrachet finished at 1.008 and has more wine character. I won't use the 3056 again (though it smelled wonderful coming out of the airlock), and am curious if the juice blends (not pure apple) have more unfermentable sugars somehow, or if the last batch was just a fluke.

I've been searching online and in this thread for a good amount of time and have yet to find my answer. I would like to carb my apfelwein. I followed EdWort's directions 100% so far. However, my wife drinks Strongbow/Woodchuck and likes the amount of carbonation in those. I'm thinking the 3/4 cup dextrose/5 gal batch might be substantially more carbonated than the ciders she's used to. Also, I'm assuming she'll be spiking her apfelwein with sprite/7up. So my question is...

How much dextrose should I add to my 5 gal batch of apfelwein to yield similar carbonation levels to Strongbow/Woodchuck? TIA

I added 1/3 cup of corn sugar for priming and it came out like champagne. Very fizzy.

Since I weigh out my corn sugar, how does 2oz for 2.5 gallons sound? Should equate to about 2.3 volumes of CO2

I see that champagne has about 5.5 volumes of CO2. Not sure I want to go that far. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm going to bottle tonight!

I brewed my first batch of apfelwein on 2/4/2012. I basically brewed it exactly according to instructions, with 2# of corn sugar and the montrachet wine yeast. I still have intermittent airlock activity (~1/min). Is this normal? I plan on letting it sit for a while anyway, but I was just wondering b/c its so much different than I am used to.

Most of my batches have had fairly slow airlock activity for well after fermentation should wrap up. I have one that's going on 6 months in primary now and it's still bubbling once every week or two.

I have the original recipe from Page 1 of this post in a fermenter. Coming up on 1 month. I cannot wait for this to be done because I had some a neighbor made.

Instead of tying up a glass carboy for so long, I'm thinking of a Lowes food grade (white) bucket. When the time comes to bottle the cider I'll throw the next batch right over it. Has anyone else re-use the yeast?

I brewed my first batch of apfelwein on 2/4/2012. I basically brewed it exactly according to instructions, with 2# of corn sugar and the montrachet wine yeast. I still have intermittent airlock activity (~1/min). Is this normal? I plan on letting it sit for a while anyway, but I was just wondering b/c its so much different than I am used to.

The only way that it should still be bubbling is if you have a cool spot for it to sit, low 60's or lower. The lower temps slow it down a lot, but leave it with more flavor when the ferment is done.

I want to carbonate some of my bottles and leave some still. I am going to experiment with this batch and sweeten some, carb some, sweeten and carb, etc. If I used thawed apple juice concentrate to carb, what might be a good guess for the amount to put in a 750ml bottle? Half a teaspoon maybe?

Back