Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harvested another batch, two+ quarts, Kinda a funky pink as I used a cup of forbidden rice with 5 cups of jasmine. No major flavor change.
I have an empty container, must be time to start another batch! I love this stuff!

I love how much this stuff catches on. Feels like a few months ago you were asking what this was and how it is...and now, batches in succession!

Day 3 and lots of breakdown, an almost solvent smell, fuzz on the top, I only stirred it because there are some larger chunks of the yeast ball I was trying to distribute throughout the rice. It's going!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Day 3 and lots of breakdown, an almost solvent smell, fuzz on the top, I only stirred it because there are some larger chunks of the yeast ball I was trying to distribute throughout the rice. It's going!

You got the stirring out of your system, now leave it alone!:D

Hmmm, yea that's just about as I suspected. So do you think a raft in the swimming pool and a small replica statue sitting on the diving board will work? Don't think I'll be able to make it to NY by st Patricks day....

We have liquid!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394737899.138784.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394737916.310217.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394744439.710736.jpg I opened my wine with some pineapple juice and I opened it and it exploded when I popped it. It all got wasted :(

Brewed Not Bought!

Ummm a week or so... I didn't pasteurize which I should have.

Brewed Not Bought!

I'm using screw on lids and leave them loose and double check them regularly, if they are on a little tight i hear pressure being released.
I plan on pasteurizing some so I can do a short age on some.

Im gonna do another batch this time im gonna use this to cook it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Home Brew mobile app

You got the stirring out of your system, now leave it alone!:D

I've discovered that because the batches I make are so large, if I don't stir them daily for a couple weeks, I get a dried out hard crust on top, or it all glues itself to gether in a big plug and won't let the CO2 escape from underneath. I just kind of push the top layer down into the liquid a bit with a a sterilized spoon.

Jak, I use an airlock all the time and usually have activity on the 2nd day, but sometimes not until day 3. After that, it's going like gangbusters for weeks, and many times it's still going at the one month mark and I have to give it a bit longer. I see these guys harvesting at 21 days, and maybe it's just because of the size of the batches I do, but no way is mine even close to done at that point.

<----- Mr. I'm not going to waste time pasteurizing

... has started pasteurizing. I have bee making bigger batches. I bring a pot of water to boiling and put the bottle in it closed for five minutes. Seems to be enough. Its really easy so you might as well.

<----- Mr. I'm not going to waste time pasteurizing

... has started pasteurizing. I have bee making bigger batches. I bring a pot of water to boiling and put the bottle in it closed for five minutes. Seems to be enough. Its really easy so you might as well.

You mean you finally got more than you can drink in a week?! LOL!! :tank:

I was sure I'd pasteurize some of my first batch because it made a LOT for just two of us - but, ummm, nope - it's almost gone now. Of course I gave some of it to others to taste too. That's my excuse!

I'm sure I'll do some though - got lots of it coming "ripe" in the next 3 weeks and I'm sure as heck not gonna give all THAT away.

Gotta find a local source for yeast balls and ryr. My man is goin outta business.

Gotta find a local source for yeast balls and ryr. My man is goin outta business.

yeast balls are easy.. RYR I haven't been able to find locally in the two stores I've tried. Gonna try another two more today, at the very least maybe I end up with a couple more different brands of yeast balls.

yeast balls are easy.. RYR I haven't been able to find locally in the two stores I've tried. Gonna try another two more today, at the very least maybe I end up with a couple more different brands of yeast balls.

My store ran sold out of RYR a while back. I've been selling it by the bag of 100 grams. I'm down to my last one and will have to go scouting for other locations.

Hey jak just send me one im crustykrabby. I will send you something from AL.

Just harvested my first batch of wine made with jasmine rice - it's a 4 weeks because I made a mistake and packed it too tightly into the jar, so at 3 weeks, I put it in a different jar much more loosely packed.

It's REALLY good - different taste than the sweet rice, which we like too - but interestingly, 4 cups of jasmine rice = about 750ml of wine, where 4 cups of sweet rice made two 750ml bottles plus about half a 16 oz. bottle. What to do, what to do - more jasmine, or not!

Well, I still have a lot of jasmine rice left, so I guess that answers THAT question....

Just harvested my first batch of wine made with jasmine rice - it's a 4 weeks because I made a mistake and packed it too tightly into the jar, so at 3 weeks, I put it in a different jar much more loosely packed.

It's REALLY good - different taste than the sweet rice, which we like too - but interestingly, 4 cups of jasmine rice = about 750ml of wine, where 4 cups of sweet rice made two 750ml bottles plus about half a 16 oz. bottle. What to do, what to do - more jasmine, or not!

Well, I still have a lot of jasmine rice left, so I guess that answers THAT question....

I've been getting 2+ quarts out of 5 cup batches of jasmine.

Yeah. You were the one that said brew more. I got some buddies that wanna brew some too. I been sharing my stuff now im out. Lesson learned dont be too nice. But if you somethinf from down here ill make a trade.

Some where earlier in this thread it was mentioned that they were going to try to form into balls and dry the remains of their rice wine lees into yeast balls. Can anyone comment as to weather this works and is worth the effort?

Still no airlock activity. I have had ciders do this in the past, so hope is not yet lost. Maybe this Mason jar does not seal well, and it is escaping there. The one gal does not have a screw top, rather a slide on kinda lid. Time will tell.

I tried to reuse the lees. Mine just turned green . I was air drying them though.

To save a poor fellow brewer from search fatigue - what is your rice/water ratio? This one was a 1:1. Thanks!

Soaked overnight, one cup rice to 1.25 water, bring to a boil, reduce to lowest setting for 25 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
I have let it cool all day while I am at work or until it is in low 70's everywhere, I have an inferred thermometer there it a lot of variations, with the same results.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back