Bottled water jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicycle bill

Reaction score
Have another question .

Do you think it will be ok to use bottled water gallon jugs to make my wine in?

After all there would be no pressure on them. Just wondering if a plastic odor would affect the flavor of the wine. Thanks

bicycle bill said:
Have another question .

Do you think it will be ok to use bottled water gallon jugs to make my wine in?

After all there would be no pressure on them. Just wondering if a plastic odor would affect the flavor of the wine. Thanks

I wouldn't, you will compromise your wine in a big way.

Thank you. I won't use them. You are i assume suggesting that a funky smell from the plastic would permeate the wine.

Wonder why this fool was allowed to post his way to make wine at home cheap?

Making cheap wine

Well, there are plenty of prison hooch websites, too, but that doesn't mean it'll be good wine! ;)

The problem with plastic water bottles is not necessarily the "plastic taste" it might impart (although that is bad, too)- the problem is oxygen permeability. You want 0% oxygen contacting your wine after fermentation and you'll leave it in secondary maybe 6 months or more at times. That would be a huge problem- you want to protect your wine from light and oxygen. I use glass carboys with an airlock to protect them from oxygen and cover them with towels or dark t-shirts to keep out the light.

If you are going to use Welches grape juice...you could use any beverage container, I suppose. That kind of wine is not aged and stored for long periods of time. So for that go for it! no problem

If you want to make real wine and age it properly I would not use water bottles.

NYeric said:
If you are going to use Welches grape juice...you could use any beverage container, I suppose. That kind of wine is not aged and stored for long periods of time. So for that go for it! no problem

If you want to make real wine and age it properly I would not use water bottles.
Thanks

Well that is precisely what i am planning to do"use Welch's frozen concentrate" and the wine won't be around long after it is finished either.

BTW i am not getting the notification of new mail arrival. Wonder why. I asked for that .

Latest posts

Back