Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a problem with fermenting this stuff along side beer and wine? I started this batch sometime in January(?) and it developed some little white bumps on it. I didn't think anything of it until I had a pale ale get a full blown pellicle and a saison have what looked to be the start of one; both of which were along side the rice wine.

Probably overblowing it but does anyone have any insight?

rice wine top may 2015.jpg

rice wine side may 2015.jpg

I've yielded 3 gallons of clear wine with 1.5 gallons of hazy somewhat sludge like wine. Is there any way to filter the thick hazy portion. I've tried bentonite and coffee filters plugged immediately. I might try jacking it to see if the ice will filter the solids. Any suggestions or is it just an acceptable loss?

I've yielded 3 gallons of clear wine with 1.5 gallons of hazy somewhat sludge like wine. Is there any way to filter the thick hazy portion. I've tried bentonite and coffee filters plugged immediately. I might try jacking it to see if the ice will filter the solids. Any suggestions or is it just an acceptable loss?

A week in the fridge will settle and compact the solids to a point that you can pour off the clear (rack it if you feel like it). Loss is negligible .

A week in the fridge will settle and compact the solids to a point that you can pour off the clear (rack it if you feel like it). Loss is negligible .

After waiting a week or two for settling, sometimes using refrigerator to help crash, I usually end up with about 10% of volume hazy/nigori per batch. Still drinkable, just different than the clear portion.

Re: " ...Is there any way to filter the thick hazy portion..."

Many don't worry about it and just give it a shake before pouring a drink.

You could just let it settle in the bottles and carefully pour off the clear wine, leaving the lees in the bottom of the bottle if you don't like the appearance.
If you do this, save the lees for marinating and cooking sauces. The lees can be used in place of rice wine in recipes.

So a group of friends and I finally made our big batch. This is 60 of the 600# of rice we cooked.
View attachment 281806
What are you guys fermenting in?
Anyone have a problem with fermenting this stuff along side beer and wine? I started this batch sometime in January(?) and it developed some little white bumps on it. I didn't think anything of it until I had a pale ale get a full blown pellicle and a saison have what looked to be the start of one; both of which were along side the rice wine.

Probably overblowing it but does anyone have any insight?

Never had an issue, beer isn't fermented in the same room but is handled around it, meads side by side.
Better clean your act up Cheesey:D

Started my batch yesterday 1KG thai glutinous rice (5 Cups) and x4 Chinese Yeast Balls.

Steamed the rice and mixed in 4 crushed yeast balls. Wrapped up in a towel in a dark warm place. Will check tonight it I have any action.

This thread has been extremely interesting. Looking forward to my final result. Will add some photos when I get a chance.

Re: " ...Is there any way to filter the thick hazy portion..."
Many don't worry about it and just give it a shake before pouring a drink.

As a coincidence, I had some people over and brought out my rice wine.
One person whom I had just met that night shook it up before pouring.

I asked him how he knew to do that? He said his grandparents on one side of his family are Chinese and they always did that before pouring their rice wine.

OK it's been over 24 hours now and as yet no liquid that I can see. I soaked my rice for 2 hours and then steamed till done.

Could the rice I added be too dry to start the fermentation? There is some condensation in my 3.5L Jar so I am hoping it will start soon.

Cheeto, I get the same brand of yeast balls everywhere down here in Portland. Your batch should turn out great. You should trial some cheap jasmine rice next batch to compare.

I am making an 8 cup batch.. I sprinkled the yeast in layers as I filled that container with rice..

I think I am gonna try a red and a black rice next

Cheeto, I get the same brand of yeast balls everywhere down here in Portland. Your batch should turn out great. You should trial some cheap jasmine rice next batch to compare.

That is what I am going to do next! My batch that is currently brewing has been over a week now with no liquid!! Everything smells great but no wine! Not sure what I did wrong! Seems the rice might have been a bit dry.

I'm also using the same brand of yeast balls.

That is what I am going to do next! My batch that is currently brewing has been over a week now with no liquid!! Everything smells great but no wine! Not sure what I did wrong! Seems the rice might have been a bit dry.

I'm also using the same brand of yeast balls.

Relax, it can take a while before you see much liquid. Wait another couple of weeks. If it is smelling of alcohol/nail polish remover rather than just rice it is fermenting.
I typically see liquid after a couple of days between grains of rice, but it isn't enough to be very noticeable or make the rice mash start to float for a couple of weeks.
Was the rice cool when you added the broken up yeast balls (if not, maybe the mold/yeast was killed)?

Relax, it can take a while before you see much liquid. Wait another couple of weeks. If it is smelling of alcohol/nail polish remover rather than just rice it is fermenting.
I typically see liquid after a couple of days between grains of rice, but it isn't enough to be very noticeable or make the rice mash start to float for a couple of weeks.
Was the rice cool when you added the broken up yeast balls (if not, maybe the mold/yeast was killed)?

I am amazed just how sweet it smells. It really does smell great! The rice was "cool enough" in my opinion but you could be right.

Next time I will wait until the rice is completely cool, it was still warm-ish but I thought not too warm to harm the yeast.

Thanks for your reply :mug:

Just started a big batch
22 cups rinsed Thai Jasmine
2 cups Red Rice (for color)
8 crushed up Yeast balls

I cooked the rice in 12 cup batches with 12 cups of water each in giant disposable turkey pans in the oven at 350, sealed well with aluminum foil...cooked 90-120 minutes (both pans in oven at same time)
I let them cool overnight and moved them, by the spatula full into a 5 gallon primary bucket, shaking yeast dust every few minutes...covered the whole thing with Cheesecloth.
Should have around 6 full 750ml bottles in time for July 4th celebrations.
Between now and then every few days I'll give it a shake and sniff.

Just started a big batch
22 cups rinsed Thai Jasmine
2 cups Red Rice (for color)
8 crushed up Yeast balls

I cooked the rice in 12 cup batches with 12 cups of water each in giant disposable turkey pans in the oven at 350, sealed well with aluminum foil...cooked 90-120 minutes (both pans in oven at same time)
I let them cool overnight and moved them, by the spatula full into a 5 gallon primary bucket, shaking yeast dust every few minutes...covered the whole thing with Cheesecloth.
Should have around 6 full 750ml bottles in time for July 4th celebrations.
Between now and then every few days I'll give it a shake and sniff.

I usually do 16 cup batches and get around 10 full 750s, so I think you'll get more than 6

I have not read all 500 pages of comments so this may have been discussed. I've made batches with the "rice balls" but wanted to start a constant batching process whereby each week as I started a new batch I'd hold a quart of "mash" to start the next weeks batch.

As I'm sure the wiser heads know....... this doesn't work. The product is exuding liquid, but the smell is reminding me of sourdough starter rather than rice wine. There is also no sign of the material forming a "cap" of rice let alone exposed koji mold.

thumb1_img_20150613_22200511-65714.jpg

thumb1_img_20150613_22204011-65715.jpg

I'll give it a bit more time, but it looks like I'd be better of baking with the material.

thumb1_img_20150613_22212111-65716.jpg

My next experiments outside the standard procedure will likely involve sprouted rice. Quick research suggests there was an older "sake" tradition using sprouted rice rather than koji.

Last edited:
Well, I need to drive and go get more yeast balls- I've convinced myself mine are broken. My wine always turns out lower abv than everyone on here and I really don't like the flavor- tart, sour... just not pleasant. It's never been "fizzy" when i sample it like some report... etc.

To that point- I wanted to see what my ABV was with my most recent attempt, here at the 14 day mark. The rice liquefied very quickly and my airlock was going just fine for a while- so I wanted to see what abv I was at early (since the taste gets worse and worse IMO the longer it's fermenting) and also since I know from experience the ABV of my wine turns out around 10% after 3-4 weeks.

I give to you: measuring ABV without knowing starting gravity. I made it myself ;-)
Step 1- Measure the SG of a known volume of wine.. I did 1/2cup
Step 2- Heat the wine on your stove until almost boiling - you're going to boil off some water but also all of the alcohol- keep the heat under boiling so we don't lose anything other than water or etoh.
step 3- cool the etoh-less wine. make it back up to the original volume with water.
step 4- get the SG
using these 2 SG you can get your ABV. Here's an excel.

To use the excel, put in your SG readings. Make sure your solver add-in is active and use it to set the p1 objective to the p1 check value, then solve. If it solves correctly, your ABV should be there.
If excel solver isn't working, you can put "solve x*(y/(x-1)-.79*(y/(x-1)=z" into wolfram alpha. x is the second SG reading minus 1 and z is the first minus .789. Once alpha gives you that value, you can just type that in for p1 and your ABV should be correct.

Anyway, I'm off to go get new yeasty balls, but I thought I'd share my ABV method because it's cool. It's very sensitive to errors in SG reading so please be accurate ;-)

tl;dr- my wine always turns out bad and to prove it to myself i measure my ABV. I presented the method here as FYI

I just realized how easy that method can be: Just take the difference in the 2 sg readings and divide it by .211. /simplify
Made that so complicated....

I've been wondering if there were any other Canadians that's into the rice wine, good to see there are. Any of you guys in Ontario?

I picked up 2 packs on the Onto Yeast last week and I look forward to trying it.

The pic is a bottle of my last batch, made with a mix of glutinous rice, jasmine rice, and the supermarket Shanghai yeast balls. I fermented it out for 45 days and its pretty tart and dry, alcohol was around 10%. This bottle was taken from the top of the fermenter and its really clear without any filtering. I'm hoping to make my next batch sweeter and less tart. Should I try pasteurisation to halt fermentation mid-way through?

I just picked up 2 pounds of Onto Yeast for my next batch. How did your onto yeast batch go?

Yup, bought 2 bags, they work good, not a bad batch yet.

Awesome, that's great news. Have you used the regular chinese yeast balls before? If so, did you notice any difference? Also, did you follow the instructions on their site or stick to your own yeast to rice ratio?

Awesome, that's great news. Have you used the regular chinese yeast balls before? If so, did you notice any difference? Also, did you follow the instructions on their site or stick to your own yeast to rice ratio?

I have not used the regular Chinese balls, these were the only ones I couod find in Canada. But figuring they were made in North America, quality control may be better production batch to production batch. I have been using one ball to one cup of uncooked rice. Overkill probably, but I have lots.

I have not used the regular Chinese balls, these were the only ones I couod find in Canada. But figuring they were made in North America, quality control may be better production batch to production batch. I have been using one ball to one cup of uncooked rice. Overkill probably, but I have lots.

I think so too, the quality should be better. I met with the Onto Yeast people in person, they seem like good people. They said the flavour is different compared to the Chinese ones. I've noticed right away the texture, size, and smell is different. They seem softer and have a floral fragrance. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Does the amount of water that you use depend on the kind of jasmine rice that you buy?

I am about to start my 4th batch. My first batch I rinsed then soaked for 2 hrs. then boiled. Then I thought it looked too dry so I added some more water. The wine was a little harsh but mellowed after a few weeks.

Then I read more of this thread (whew) and I learned that using less water can make a smoother/sweeter wine.

On my second batch and third batch I rinsed the rice but did not soak, and added just the amount of water called for on the rice bag. These two batches came out much more too my liking - sweet and smooth.

So now I am becoming more aware of the amount of water to use. So today I shopped for jasmine rice and read the bags in the market. Some of the bags say to add 1 1/4 cups of water to one cup of rice. Some say 1 1/2, and some say 2 cups of water per cup of rice.

Is there really a difference in the different types of jasmine rice that make some require more water than others? Any rice experts out there?

Does the amount of water that you use depend on the kind of jasmine rice that you buy?

I am about to start my 4th batch. My first batch I rinsed then soaked for 2 hrs. then boiled. Then I thought it looked too dry so I added some more water. The wine was a little harsh but mellowed after a few weeks.

Then I read more of this thread (whew) and I learned that using less water can make a smoother/sweeter wine.

On my second batch and third batch I rinsed the rice but did not soak, and added just the amount of water called for on the rice bag. These two batches came out much more too my liking - sweet and smooth.

So now I am becoming more aware of the amount of water to use. So today I shopped for jasmine rice and read the bags in the market. Some of the bags say to add 1 1/4 cups of water to one cup of rice. Some say 1 1/2, and some say 2 cups of water per cup of rice.

Is there really a difference in the different types of jasmine rice that make some require more water than others? Any rice experts out there?

Did the extra water you added boil off? Extra water during fermentation will make the wine drier and more sour. I haven't tried boiling the rice, only steaming. I think the popular method is 1:2 ratio rice:water for boiling

Back