BEER + BBQ = HEALTHY!!!!(marinade negates carcinogens)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying smoking a pipe is directly healthy, but alleviating stress is DEFINITELY a health benefit. Studies point to stress in a person's life leading to or at least contributing to numerous health issues.

THIS^

Alcohol is unquestionably a little toxic, ie; UNHEALTHY. Granted dark unfiltered beer and red wine have antioxidants, but all in all, the grudgingly accepted "2 drinks a day" thing is stress relief.

Stress ALONE can cause heart disease.

I cannot make a new thread about it, the sub-forum for debate is for Supporting Members only.

Also, your assumptions fail you. I do not remain blind to the studies about alcohol consumption. On the contrary, I am very cognizant of what alcohol does to the human. I drink maybe one or two beers per week on average. (Search my history, see that I am most active in the 1 Gallon Brewers thread) And yet despite knowing, I make my own educated decision to drink or not to drink. There are people who have replied to me who do not make an educated decision. They eat based on how their culture has raised them.

This thread's title says that it's HEALTHY to marinate meat in beer. Categorically false, and I chose to refute it. If you came to the forum and saw a thread about how healthy it is to put your hand in a garbage disposal, would you not feel compelled to make at least one post? At least in the hopes that there aren't people who actually believe it.

And I blabber about vegetables at every opportunity because I CHOOSE to, in reply to those who are in complete disbelief and outright outrage that I'd actually say something which contradicts. I didn't invade, I made a statement to ensure that truth does not get trampled underfoot

By the way, long live cauliflower. That stuff replaces chicken in so many recipes... :)

Fixed that for ya! You don't "HAVE" to. You "CHOOSE" to. Just like I "CHOOSE" to eat this nice tasty marinated and griledl piece of pork loin in front of me. I didn't "HAVE" to.... I "CHOOSE" to. Because it's pork and pork is proof that life is good!

.....then what is ballpark mustard? The ones I have been to had big jugs of the yellow stuff. good stuff actually, but not grey poupon...

Then you need to find different ballparks. I see someone posted a pic of Bertman's in this thread. It's *similar* to Gulden's Spicy Brown, but not the same.

Then you need to find different ballparks. I see someone posted a pic of Bertman's in this thread. It's *similar* to Gulden's Spicy Brown, but not the same.

Haven't been to the ones in question in years.....Riverbat Stadium here has been on the food network, and probably has good mustard.

For some reason "ballpark mustard" evoked memories from 25 years ago, both of crappy redbird stadium (louisville) and little league. No pro around, so no pro parks when I was young. MY BAD!

:mug:

I'm not saying smoking a pipe is directly healthy, but alleviating stress is DEFINITELY a health benefit. Studies point to stress in a person's life leading to or at least contributing to numerous health issues.
Well, actually....

https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend

(TED talk about how simply telling yourself that your natural stress reaction is GOOD, actually significantly lowers the chances of stress-related heart issues)

Jeez.... sounds like the power of suggestion to me. And if you believe hard enough Santa Claus will become real.
The fact they were able to document an actual physiological response to the change in thinking is quite impressive. I can tell you from personal experience (even before having seen that video), that when things get hot here at work, I perform (and handle the situation overall) a lot better when I look at the pile of work, feel that stress building, and say "Okay, let's do this" than I do when I look at the pile of work and say "Oh crap, how am I going to do this?"

The fact they were able to document an actual physiological response to the change in thinking is quite impressive. I can tell you from personal experience (even before having seen that video), that when things get hot here at work, I perform (and handle the situation overall) a lot better when I look at the pile of work, feel that stress building, and say "Okay, let's do this" than I do when I look at the pile of work and say "Oh crap, how am I going to do this?"

I hear ya and agree 100%, but that doesn't mean stress isn't detrimental to your health. Finding a way to compartmentalize your stresses and deal with them is a great way to alleviate that stress though.

Once again it is all subjective. Stress affects each person differently. Some people thrive on stress. True stress generally has negative affects but it affects everyone in different ways.

Positive results from work, based on "pressure" ie; "get this done by 3:00!" is not results based on stress.

If you thrive on that "pressure" it is not stress.

Stress is:

Your mom has cancer
Your boss is a complete jerk
You can NOT pay all of your bills

Yes, you can turn even those events into a positive, but it is not the "stress" causing good to happen.

Once again it is all subjective. Stress affects each person differently. Some people thrive on stress. True stress generally has negative affects but it affects everyone in different ways.

Absolutely subjective Jon, you nailed it!

There's good stress and bad, to me it's got a lot to do with my level of control over the situation.. Stress over a heavy workload motivates me to get **** done, stress over something I can't change or control (illness/death of a loved one for example) makes me feel like **** and attempts to take all motivation away.

That said, any amount of carcinogens that may or may not be present in my BBQ has never, and never will, factor into my stress equation because I am simply not worried about it.

Once again it is all subjective.

What is? There's nothing subjective about the effects stress has on the body. If you strictly mean the effects limited to how stress makes people feel, then I agree, much of that can be said to be subjective, but certainly not all.

Stress affects each person differently.

Of course it does.

Some people thrive on stress. True stress generally has negative affects but it affects everyone in different ways.

It has effects, of course. Some effects will be positive, some negative, some just different. It's pretty complex stuff, and depends quite a bit on the individual and the situation. I'm sure there are trends and patterns to be noticed, but they're far from universal, and need to be understood in context.

It has effects, of course. Some effects will be positive, some negative, some just different. It's pretty complex stuff, and depends quite a bit on the individual and the situation. I'm sure there are trends and patterns to be noticed, but they're far from universal, and need to be understood in context.

That's true as well, many things are lumped into and under "stress" nowadays and it's really a term that is thrown around too much, for too many reasons IMO. PTSD is a good example of this I think.

What is? There's nothing subjective about the effects stress has on the body. If you strictly mean the effects limited to how stress makes people feel, then I agree, much of that can be said to be subjective, but certainly not all.

The effects of stress are subjective. Whether (some/most) stresses are positive or negative depends on the person. I will say now that I am in no way an expert in the field of psychology or 'stressology'? so anything I say is obviously my opinion and is not authoritative at all. Additionally, I think I have established that I do not think they we understand the human animal enough yet so I will not repeat myself.

Exactly.

Incidentally, if the latter were true from my comment above, this would not have been the first time I've disagreed with someone about whether certain facts were objective or subjective in nature.

There's nothing simple about the definition of either.

That's true as well, many things are lumped into and under "stress" nowadays and it's really a term that is thrown around too much, for too many reasons IMO. PTSD is a good example of this I think.

Are you saying PTSD is basically people whining about how hard life is?

Are you saying PTSD is basically people whining about how hard life is?

No, not at all, I believe it is a very real and de-habilitating medical condition. I'm only saying that it is sometimes referred to simply as a form of stress when maybe it shouldn't be, I believe it's much more than that.

No, not at all, I believe it is a very real and de-habilitating medical condition. I'm only saying that it is sometimes referred to simply as a form of stress when maybe it shouldn't be, I believe it's much more than that.

I actually like "stress" as that catch all for any adversity, and more names and deliniations for specific manifestations.

If stress was expressed as a percentage, it might look like this..

Promotion at work 15%

Death of parent 78%

Asked out by your perfect mate 8%

Sex with said mate (-13%)

Card game with friends where you WIN bigtime 6%

2 beers (-30%)

Smoking your homegrown tobacco in a pipe ;) (-98.756534%)

Any situation, good or bad can, and usually does cause stress.

Back