Beer, meat, veggies and nutrition in general

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
Continuing the unrelated discussion from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/be...s-carcinogens-470094/index10.html#post6078493

Of course if you drink more water, you can consume more salt

Don't be so sure it's as simple as that. Water can dilute sodium, but sodium is just one of a few electrolytes that must be precisely balanced in the body.

That said, the body is very good at balancing said electrolytes. So (from what I've read, and I'm not a biologist) it is not necessary to watch one's consumption of various electrolytes (salt included) in a miserly fashion, as long as one keeps a diet that isn't extreme. Any normal diet (be it meat or plant) contains adequate amounts of all electrolytes.

Excess salt can temporarily increase blood pressure, but as long as you don't have higher-than-acceptable blood pressure to begin with, it's no cause for concern. (Again, I am not a physician or biologist)

Over from the BBQ+BEER=HEALTHY thread.

The most compelling thing I had heard lately, was to eat limited meat, only whole grain pasta and bread, only brown rice.

More recently, I was told that ANY grains and legumes were bad.....

Trust noone and eat everyone err thing...

In earnest though don't base your diet choices on one article or one "documentary". I have been a vegetarian with sausage lust (phrasing?) for just about 5 years now. My wife and I came to that diet lifestyle choice based on many books and articles written by legitimate doctors (not just tree hugging types). Now that some aspects of the meat markets are changing in regards to antibiotics etc... we may go back. In all things moderation and enjoyment.

Continuing the unrelated discussion from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/be...s-carcinogens-470094/index10.html#post6078493

Don't be so sure it's as simple as that. Water can dilute sodium, but sodium is just one of a few electrolytes that must be precisely balanced in the body.

That said, the body is very good at balancing said electrolytes. So (from what I've read, and I'm not a biologist) it is not necessary to watch one's consumption of various electrolytes (salt included) in a miserly fashion, as long as one keeps a diet that isn't extreme. Any normal diet (be it meat or plant) contains adequate amounts of all electrolytes.

Excess salt can temporarily increase blood pressure, but as long as you don't have higher-than-acceptable blood pressure to begin with, it's no cause for concern. (Again, I am not a physician or biologist)

True. There are upper bounds. I was just alluding to the fact that certainty in the overall required daily "diet" intake of any nutrients is always in flux. I think the only thing they have truly established for a fact is that you really should not consume copious quantities of Cyanide, etc or severe health issues probably (note the uncertanty here) result. :cross:

Smiley face for effect though I never use the things.

True. There are upper bounds. I was just alluding to the fact that certainty in the overall required daily "diet" intake of any nutrients is always in flux. I think the only thing they have truly established for a fact is that you really should not consume copious quantities of Cyanide, etc or severe health issues probably (note the uncertanty here) result. :cross:

Smiley face for effect though I never use the things.

I think your avatar is a smiley ;)

OK, so.......seriously. Do I need to "OVER THE TOP TITLE" redo this thread too? It seems to be languishing.

NO softdrinks. I have been doing that for 3 years now. They used to sound good, but now they sound sickeningly sweet.

Yes, our neighbor grows pairs and they are very good. Since he moved away I just walk across the street pick as many as I want! Nothing better than homegrown, natural pairs. They tend to have a lot of bugs, so I eat a few goods ones and then squeeze the rest into cider. It makes the cider sweeter, and nobody notices the worms after they have been strained through the cloth.

Pairs are one of the only fruits that I actually enjoy eating!

Thankfully, I've never known my pair to be infected with bugs. Frightening thought.

So does your neighbor's pairs grow from a bush, or something a bit larger? Just curious, you know.

I thougt we were talking about pairs of cows?

I squeezed and strained my pair of cows, they were none too happy about it.

Latest posts

Back