DC Area Group Buy #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: Frits and I are kicking around some changes, but for now here is the deal:

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every 6-7 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...otherwise you don't get it!
* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC
* TBD but we are doing this either every month or every other month (based on demand) and based on the weekends that Mike works...
* The pickup will occur the Sat. after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the following Sat. AM at 3 Stars.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let either IslandLizard or I know who is picking up your grain
* All payment is via paypal and must be in by midnight Friday the week BEFORE the pickup
* Splits are a PITA, but as long as someone is willing to manage them we will allow them (IslandLizard is managing them now)
* If you suggest a split, you become the primary buyer and must pay me; everyone who gets a split from you will pay you and you arrange payment from the splitters
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though this is a new supplier so hopefully it won't
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay the week before the buy by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain!

Thanks for starting the new buy thread. Tony and I are looking into some changes in the way we do things, for the benefit of all. Stay tuned for updates.

Ill get the ball rolling,

20# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb
20# CRI1051 Crisp Brown 25 kg (55 lb)
20# BRI1038 Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L 50 lb

Hi stone
Can I get a copy of your pricing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The instructions for getting the price list are highlighted in blue on the first post. You have to PM your email address to Tony.

Welcome to the forum :D

I've ordered in the past but was wondering if there was any flexibility in pickup? I work shift work and have a rotating schedule.

Thanks!
Carlos

I've ordered in the past but was wondering if there was any flexibility in pickup? I work shift work and have a rotating schedule.

Thanks!
Carlos

We can't leave grain at 3 Stars, they'll brew with it as soon as we leave. ;)

Pickup is on a Saturday morning usually between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm. If you can't make it, send someone else to pick them up or ask someone you know, who also gets grains, to take them for you.

Once the date is set, you got to let us know who is going to pick yours up if you can't do it yourself. It's that simple.

Ill get the ball rolling,

20# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb
20# CRI1051 Crisp Brown 25 kg (55 lb)
20# BRI1038 Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L 50 lb

OK, I've started the new spreadsheet and added your order.

To keep the administration as simple as can be, I've decided there's going to be only ONE (primary) buyer for all splits. For now, that's me.
At closing, every split participant will pay their share to me and I'll pay Tony for the full sacks.

i'll take 5 lbs of C-40.

edit: if we're changing the rules and up'ing the minimum share of a split to 10 lbs, then i'll take 10 lbs.

Added your 5# of C40.

We're not sure if a minimum higher than 5 pounds is needed. For some grains it makes little sense to stock up on more than 5 pounds, like the dark roasts.

Tony and I are still discussing which additions and changes would be welcome to make the experience even better.

I wonder if we can get StarSan through the bulk buy.

With CMG we could add a box of 4 1-gallon jugs to the pallet. I'd take one jug or split one in half.

Speaking of liquids... I'm getting desperate for that Phosphoric Acid. We can order quarts and gallons directly from Duda Diesel, for a couple bucks of shipping more we can add more bottles or jugs.

Anyone?

I'm up for some star san. What's the price?

BSG lists this as their largest packaging size:

Five Star Star San 32 oz, Case of 10
NO. 7081C

Maybe we can get a price on that or inquire about the availability of the 4x 1-gallon pack. They do sell Iodophor and Sani-clean in 4x 1-gallon boxes. And BSG's site is not that up to date.

==> Tony could you reach out to our supplier for this, perhaps?

If anyone knows where else to score the 4-pack gallon jugs that would be great too (that's 16 quarts!).

I just added to the splits list:
WEY1055 Weyermann® Chocolate Wheat. I'm taking 10# for now to get it started, although 5 may be enough

• 2 buys ago we had splits of Crisp Pale Chocolate malt. Would anyone be interested in more?
  • How about another CaraAroma (Arrogant Bastard brewers)?

I just added to the splits list:
WEY1055 Weyermann® Chocolate Wheat. I'm taking 10# for now to get it started, although 5 may be enough

• 2 buys ago we had splits of Crisp Pale Chocolate malt. Would anyone be interested in more?
  • How about another CaraAroma (Arrogant Bastard brewers)?

I want some Choc Wheat. I can take 5#.

starting a new split:

CAS1002 Château Pilsen 2-Row 25 Kg (55 Lb.) (from Castle Malting)

i will take 25 lbs. so 30 pounds of belgian pils for the rest of you to gobble up.

thanks!

Added.

I'll take a bag of RAH1005 Rahr Premium Pilsner 50lb
WEY1063 Weyermann® CaraAroma 15 lb with the rest up for splits :D

Added.
I'm taking 10#.

I want some Choc Wheat. I can take 5#.

Added.
We're rolling again.

I'm in for:

1x BRI1003 Briess Pale Ale 50 lb

and splits:

5# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L
5# WEY1063 Weyermann® CaraAroma

So I think I asked before about Star San and was told no, but can't access my email right now to check. Will post back tonight if I find the email, or ask and post if I am misremembering.

Mike: how much CaraAroma did you use in that AB clone? Have you tasted it yet?

I'm in for:

1x BRI1003 Briess Pale Ale 50 lb

and splits:

5# BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L
5# WEY1063 Weyermann® CaraAroma

Added.

So I think I asked before about Star San and was told no, but can't access my email right now to check. Will post back tonight if I find the email, or ask and post if I am misremembering.

It won't hurt to ask again. Maybe it's yes this time.

Again on the phosphoric acid.

Novahokie had generously offered to share some of his gallon, but couldn't make it to the last pick-up, so we missed out on that. Maybe he'll be still up for it this this buy, maybe not.

If anyone is interested I'm willing to coordinate a share/split of a gallon or 2 from Duda Diesel. A pint of 85% goes a long, long way. You can also use it to locally passivate stainless steel in a pinch, although nitric acid (or citric acid) is preferred, both after a thorough degreasing and washing/rinsing step.

From Duda Diesel it runs about $11 a quart, including shipping, if purchased by the gallon. A bit less when ordering multiple gallons.

The bigger challenge is to find suitable bottles in pint or quart sizes. You don't want this stuff to leak over your brewing equipment, garage floor, or way worse.

So I checked and indeed my memory was correct (odd, right?). They sell 8 and 32 oz bottles of StarSan in the shop and "can't get StarSan in bulk like that" so I think we need to find another source if you need bulk StarSan. I bought a gallon and think it will last me until I stop brewing...that stuff goes a long way and I have a PH meter that I use to test its efficacy.

Morebeer has a 32 oz bottle for $24, which should last you between 4 and 32 years depending on how wasteful you are with it...

Lucky you! You probably got it from Country Malt when it was still $30 a gallon. :D

I can get 32oz of StarSan from Annapolis Homebrew for $20, which is surprisingly better priced than anywhere else I've checked lately. That will last a few years, yes. I make 5 gallons every 2 to 3 months, when needed, or when the buckets gets too scummy to my standards.

If anyone has a lead to a better or bulk source it is worth checking out.

Hey all - hope you are enjoying the warm weather! Here's the beginning of my order:

1 bag BRI1002 Briess 2 row
20 lbs of the Chateau Pilsen 2 row split
and I'd like to start a split on a bag of Chateau Munich Light and take 10 lbs of it.
Cheers, Ed

Hey all - hope you are enjoying the warm weather! Here's the beginning of my order:

1 bag BRI1002 Briess 2 row
20 lbs of the Chateau Pilsen 2 row split
and I'd like to start a split on a bag of Chateau Munich Light and take 10 lbs of it.
Cheers, Ed

So noted.
That's CAS1016 for the Light Munich, right?

Keep 'em coming...

So I checked and indeed my memory was correct (odd, right?). They sell 8 and 32 oz bottles of StarSan in the shop and "can't get StarSan in bulk like that" so I think we need to find another source if you need bulk StarSan. I bought a gallon and think it will last me until I stop brewing...that stuff goes a long way and I have a PH meter that I use to test its efficacy.

Morebeer has a 32 oz bottle for $24, which should last you between 4 and 32 years depending on how wasteful you are with it...

i just pitched my gallon, i think with heavy brewing you should be good for about 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back