Cheeto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are you celiac?

I am not but my x-wife, my girlfriend and her son are. I've been cooking GF for years and my very first homebrew was GF.

Yes there are lots of sugars in most GF recipes because the goal is to convert starches into fermentable sugars in regular brewing and there isn't a lot to work with in GF brewing. Therefore I have embarked on a journey (along with several others here) of malting GF grains. I need something to convert the corn starch into fermentable sugar like a barley malt will for regular. Amylase alone has not done it for me yet but I'm no chemistry major either.

The key to great GF beer from all that sugar is to wait it out. My last batch of GF was racked 3 times and needed gelatin to clear it. Then it was kegged for two months before it smoothed out. I think if I had conditioned it longer it would have been even better. I really am starting to believe that like a mead the best GF's will take a year to condition.

But like I mentioned in the other thread over the next year I'm going to try and malt my own grains and come up with a recipe or two that will taste good regardless of how long it conditions.

I'm not celiac either, my girlfriend is.

I haven't really given any thought to the amount of sugar in the brew but you do bring up a good point. My most recent brews (two pumpkin ales and an american brown ale) have turned out great, IMO, and are very drinkable about 3 weeks after bottling and they have only gotten better.

Once I get around to malting some more grains, I'll be working on a decoction schedule and the process, too- unless someone gets around to it first! I've got 2 lbs of sorghum malted but I don't have all the equipment to do a decoction yet.

Keep me posted!

I'm not celiac either, my girlfriend is.

I haven't really given any thought to the amount of sugar in the brew but you do bring up a good point. My most recent brews (two pumpkin ales and an american brown ale) have turned out great, IMO, and are very drinkable about 3 weeks after bottling and they have only gotten better.

Once I get around to malting some more grains, I'll be working on a decoction schedule and the process, too- unless someone gets around to it first! I've got 2 lbs of sorghum malted but I don't have all the equipment to do a decoction yet.

Keep me posted!

Have you posted your recipes for either of those anywhere? I would love to make either or both for my GF GF and if I start right away I could have one ready for Christmas.

I ask because I have a close friend that is, I do feel a bit of pain for him because he cannot enjoy some of the many pleasures that gluten laden food has to offer....

I ask because I have a close friend that is, I do feel a bit of pain for him because he cannot enjoy some of the many pleasures that gluten laden food has to offer....

Cheeto, You should definitely follow this thread and brew up some GF for your friend. You can sample GF off the shelf in local stores. Redbridge, Greens, Bards Gold to name a few. You have definitely found the right forum. Read it over and post all your questions here. We are all learning and sharing.

Do they still make Bards Gold? All we can find is plain Bards and my SWMBO does not like it as much as she did the Gold ....

Do they still make Bards Gold? All we can find is plain Bards and my SWMBO does not like it as much as she did the Gold ....

Well, I can not say for sure. It has been a while since I purchased any Bards Gold but I can check the next time I go into Whole Foods and see if it is on the shelf. Have you checked their website. There is a strong possibility that your local store quit carrying it. They all come and go in stores around here. Hard to keep up. That is why brewing something she will like is imperative.

Well, I can not say for sure. It has been a while since I purchased any Bards Gold but I can check the next time I go into Whole Foods and see if it is on the shelf. Have you checked their website. There is a strong possibility that your local store quit carrying it. They all come and go in stores around here. Hard to keep up. That is why brewing something she will like is imperative.

Hopefully you have better luck in your locality, the Whole Foods near me do not carry anything of Bards that I've seen and my recent trip out to Binny's (a large liquor store) was disappointing as well. The guys knew exactly what I was looking for but could not find it, upon asking another employee, I found out that their distributor stopped carrying it because the bottles were exploding! :(

Hopefully I can find this somewhere, I'm really only able to get Redbridge and New Grist

Lol, sorry, I was like "WTF has this got to do with cheetos??? mmmmmmmmmmmm, cheetos............";)

I get it now.

Good luck on that problem!

:mug:

Might not hurt to email them but I was under the impression it replaced the old product and seemed just like a redesign to try to make their product more appealing. I didn't really notice a taste change but I've not had old/new back to back either.

Hopefully you have better luck in your locality, the Whole Foods near me do not carry anything of Bards that I've seen and my recent trip out to Binny's (a large liquor store) was disappointing as well. The guys knew exactly what I was looking for but could not find it, upon asking another employee, I found out that their distributor stopped carrying it because the bottles were exploding! :(

Hopefully I can find this somewhere, I'm really only able to get Redbridge and New Grist

Yeah, i haven't really seen Bard's in a while. I don't think Binney's carries it anymore.

Back