Transporting fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahshaw

Reaction score
I just brewed a barelywine and I have it in my primary now. However, sometime in the next few months, well before bottling, I will be moving about 2 hours away. Any recommendations on moving 5gal of fermenting beer? Should I just pack it nicely in the back of my SUV and try not to make sharp turns? It will be in a better bottle, so I will need to take the airlock off and put on a solid stopper while handling the bottle to prevent sucking in the vodka from the airlock. I was thinking I should probably flush CO2 back into the top prior to putting the airlock back on for transport.

I would just pack it and go, don't even worry about the airlock...you shouldn't have so much liquid in it that it can suck it back into the BB. As long as it is on securely you wont have to worry about oxygenating your beer. Just keep friends from moving it who don't understand such things.

Hi,
I wanted to know how moving a barleywine went for you.
I also have a barleywine that's been in primary (bucket) for a month and I'm moving sometime soon. Fortunately I can rack it to a glass carboy and carry it in a milkcrate, if that's even advantageous. I'd prefer to store it in secondary in a cellar over the summer, as bottling would be a hassle and supposedly take longer to mature. (not to mention, I'm pretty sure it hasn't reached FG yet)

It started at 1.12 and was down to 1.07 after about 2 weeks (slow start for some reason).

If I bottle now and cellar while those last few points are dropping, it could help carbonate or help it explode. Not taking that chance.

And for what it's worth, I have some sanitized wort that I drained from the trub to help top it off in the carboy, but that'll add some possibly oxidized wort of unknown gravity.

<<<yeast used was 2112 california lager. I don't mind pitching some M&F dry yeast or some Ringwood that I'm about to rinse to kickstart whatever's left to go.>>>

Latest posts

Back