Stepping up starter with stuck beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticus1019

Reaction score
So I got a bit of a stuck ferment (1.042) and am going to try and salvage with some white labs 099. Made a 1L starter and let it ferment out then added some of the actual stuck beer to step up the starter/acclimate the yeast. OG was 1.11 so the beer is already fairly alcoholic but the starter is going crazy since I added the stuck beer so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Am I on the right track here?

I have a similar issue but a bit worse than yours so I'm looking forward to see what people recommend. Mine's still pretty well stuck and I was thinking about making another beer and racking the stuck beer onto the yeast from the new beer when it finishes.

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me, and if the starter was fermenting the stuck beer you were adding to it then that's a good sign. I would try to pitch the starter at high krausen though so that the yeast are super active when they get into that harsh alcohol environment.

Usually when I see a stuck beer thread, about 90% of the time it's because people are using a refractometer to take their FG measurement. So I just want to check if that's what you or 73standard are doing? It doesn't sound like the OP is in that range though.

Also, what is your recipe and mash temp?

I have a similar issue but a bit worse than yours so I'm looking forward to see what people recommend. Mine's still pretty well stuck and I was thinking about making another beer and racking the stuck beer onto the yeast from the new beer when it finishes.

That is a good plan… try making a beer similar in style but with a lower gravity so that your yeast reproduce and are robust without being overly stressed and mutilated like they would be if you brewed a higher gravity beer. A whole fresh yeast cake is going to help you out a lot. I know mine is the result of slightly under pitching but I'm hoping just stepping up a starter will work.

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me, and if the starter was fermenting the stuck beer you were adding to it then that's a good sign. I would try to pitch the starter at high krausen though so that the yeast are super active when they get into that harsh alcohol environment.

Usually when I see a stuck beer thread, about 90% of the time it's because people are using a refractometer to take their FG measurement. So I just want to check if that's what you or 73standard are doing? It doesn't sound like the OP is in that range though.

Also, what is your recipe and mash temp?

Yeah… I don't even own a refractometer I am a hydrometer man all the way… my recipe was a pretty standard double IPA with very few adjuncts or unfermentables and I was pretty spot on with my mash temp so I think that I am guilty of underpitching. I'm gonna toss it in the tank tonight so we'll see what happens... Thanks for the reply, fingers crossed! :mug:

Good luck! If that doesn't work I'd probably try transferring it onto a yeast cake like you were saying. Hope it turns out for you!

In my experience WLP099 will work like a BEAST. Take your final gravity readings like you normally do, and then when you think it's done...give it another week or two. I had an RIS that was stuck in the 1.030's drop down to about 1.010 and then overcarb in bottles because I thought it was finished fermenting but wasn't.

Pitched it this evening and it's bubbling! Here's hoping they keep on keeping on!

Definitely post an update in a day or two.

I'm going to try a similar thing to mine first. I was thinking of making a 2L starter because that's what MrMalty calculates for my situation. Then I thought I would gradually add in wort from my fermenter to make it an even gallon. If that is still active and happy by the time it reaches a gallon I will pitch it into the remaining 4 gallons or so. Does that sound reasonable?

If that doesn't work well I'll try to make another beer and use its yeast cake. I'm trying things in progressing $$ hoping that one of the cheaper options will work.

Definitely post an update in a day or two.

I'm going to try a similar thing to mine first. I was thinking of making a 2L starter because that's what MrMalty calculates for my situation. Then I thought I would gradually add in wort from my fermenter to make it an even gallon. If that is still active and happy by the time it reaches a gallon I will pitch it into the remaining 4 gallons or so. Does that sound reasonable?

If that doesn't work well I'll try to make another beer and use its yeast cake. I'm trying things in progressing $$ hoping that one of the cheaper options will work.

I'll probably take a reading Saturday just to see what's up.. I would be careful adding a ton more yeast unless you plan to filter.. Bottle bombs and farts will abound.

I'll probably take a reading Saturday just to see what's up.. I would be careful adding a ton more yeast unless you plan to filter.. Bottle bombs and farts will abound.

More yeast shouldn't cause bottle bombs if they have attenuated fully. But they could cause the farts you mentioned!

Welp. Apparently the 099 was too powerful. Fermentation definitely restarted. The gasket on the spigot of my ale pail blew and 5 gallons of beer ended up all over my floor. Not the best day ever.

Welp. Apparently the 099 was too powerful. Fermentation definitely restarted. The gasket on the spigot of my ale pail blew and 5 gallons of beer ended up all over my floor. Not the best day ever.

Damn, brother... That sucks. I'm feeling sad for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back