Put pint of washed yeast from fridge in fermentor..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigkelker

Reaction score
Last night I took part in a last minute brew night with the neighbors, so I didn't have time to start the yeast. I washed last batch's yeast and filled 3 pint mason jars. I took 1 of the 3 and poured the amber solution into the fermentor leaving the 1/4" trub in the jar.

22 hrs into fermentation, I don't have any activity. Since I pitched dormant yeast, should I be okay not having bubbles yet?

This was my first yeast washing, so I don't have any reference if my washing was successful. I followed the sticky and my coloring is similar to pictures posted, so I am hoping the yeast needs 24-48 hrs to wake up!

craigkelker said:
Last night I took part in a last minute brew night with the neighbors, so I didn't have time to start the yeast. I washed last batch's yeast and filled 3 pint mason jars. I took 1 of the 3 and poured the amber solution into the fermentor leaving the 1/4" trub in the jar.

22 hrs into fermentation, I don't have any activity. Since I pitched dormant yeast, should I be okay not having bubbles yet?

This was my first yeast washing, so I don't have any reference if my washing was successful. I followed the sticky and my coloring is similar to pictures posted, so I am hoping the yeast needs 24-48 hrs to wake up!

You did it backwards! You are supposed to pour the amber solution into the drain! Then pour the 1/4" solution into the fermentor! You left all the yeast in the jar and didn't get any in your fermentor

Not a disaster since you have more. Take another jar and pour off most of the amber liquid (beer) then swirl the rest to loosen the yeast (not trub) from the bottom of the jar then let it warm to the temperature of the wort and pitch it,

One third of the cake should be enough.

Good luck.

Like everyone else said, you want to pour the liquid out of the jars and pitch the layer on the bottom of the jars. It's very important to let the yeast get to the same temp as the wort first or the difference in temp will shock them and kill most of them off. If the other jars only have a 1/4 inch in them as well you might want to pitch them both. Especially if you've had those jars for a while..

Damn noobie! <<mud on face>>

So, when I added water to the bottom of my primary and swirled the cake to loosen - I let it settle for 20 mins in a growler, and poured the milky (2/3 of the growler) syrup into 4 jars. Those 4 jars sat in the frig for 24 hours. I then took those jars which were 2/3 amber water & 1/3 gray matter, and kept the amber syrup. That syrup is now the 3 jars which only contain about a tablespoon of gray matter each.

Given I have 2 tablespoons of what I now know is yeast, should I put both jars' yeast straight in from the refrig?

Sadly, I'm learning!

Damn noobie! <<mud on face>>

So, when I added water to the bottom of my primary and swirled the cake to loosen - I let it settle for 20 mins in a growler, and poured the milky (2/3 of the growler) syrup into 4 jars. Those 4 jars sat in the frig for 24 hours. I then took those jars which were 2/3 amber water & 1/3 gray matter, and kept the amber syrup. That syrup is now the 3 jars which only contain about a tablespoon of gray matter each.

Given I have 2 tablespoons of what I now know is yeast, should I put both jars' yeast straight in from the refrig?

Sadly, I'm learning!

I don't think you have enough yeast. If you have a LHBS you need to go buy yeast tomorrow. Otherwise look up making a yeast starter. If you have any DME or LME then make a starter. And NEVER pitch yeast right out of the fridge! You need to leave it out of the fridge till it warms up. If your wort is 65F then the yeast needs to be within 10*F of that (or less would be even better)..

Why wouldn't the 5.5 gallons of wort serve as a starter? Within a starter, is it the concentration of the yeast within the 1000mls that provides the benefit compared to the 5.5gal?

Could I pull some wort from the fermentor and fill both jars with it? How long would it take for the starter to be ready before going back to the fermentor?

the biggest problem is that you have five gallons of bacteria/bug food sitting there just waiting to be infected
as suggested, at this point you gotta buy some yeast

Why wouldn't the 5.5 gallons of wort serve as a starter? Within a starter, is it the concentration of the yeast within the 1000mls that provides the benefit compared to the 5.5gal?

Could I pull some wort from the fermentor and fill both jars with it? How long would it take for the starter to be ready before going back to the fermentor?

As I understand it, you want the yeast to grow fast and strong in a well oxygenated and fed environment. The extra stuff in wort like acids and complex starches will make the yeast produce bad things. Also, the wort won't be agitated or well oxygenated, so the yeast will grow much slower. They'll also sorely lose if they come into competition with bacteria when they're at low number.

Back