My S-05 starter smells like rubber...I guess I've got to throw it out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Yep, hasn't happened to me before, but after letting my 1L starter go at it on the stir plate for a couple of days, I opened it has a strong rubber smell. Guess it's time to throw that washed yeast away and spend the $3.50 on a new pack.

i find that the rubber stoppers that i use in my half gallon growlers that i use for starters make everything smell like rubber. this has alarmed me a few times now but i've always been fine. make a starter wort with light DME and ferment it out. if it tastes like crap, scrap the yeast. if it tastes like bland beer, you're good.

i find that the rubber stoppers that i use in my half gallon growlers that i use for starters make everything smell like rubber. this has alarmed me a few times now but i've always been fine. make a starter wort with light DME and ferment it out. if it tastes like crap, scrap the yeast. if it tastes like bland beer, you're good.

I usually just throw a piece of foil over the top of mine, then sit it on the stir plate for 2 days. I've never had this smell before, but after investigating a bit further, I've noticed my jar of washed yeast also has this off smell.

I usually just throw a piece of foil over the top of mine, then sit it on the stir plate for 2 days. I've never had this smell before, but after investigating a bit further, I've noticed my jar of washed yeast also has this off smell.

Your washing technique isn't getting all the dead yeast out, I bet... sounds like there is some autolysis.

This is why I quit washing yeast and started slanting. ;)

Back