My Nottingham dry yeast smells like rubber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
Is it normal for Nottinghams dry ale yeast to smell like rubber?

When i originally rehydrated the yeast to pitch I could definitely detect a rubbery smell in the (clean and sanitized) pyrex container. I pitched it, got a vigerous fermentation and everything looked fine.

3.5 weeks later I racked off the primary and into the keg for conditioning/carbonation. I didn't notice the smell on the beer, but as soon as I emptied the better bottle, I could definitely detect a rubbery smell.

Could this be yeast autolysis? I've never used this strain before.

A number of people are reporting strange behavior for that lot #. I and many others have used it with no issues, but there might be something going on. Where did you get your yeast sachels from?

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes I've found a thread in question with people having issues with this lot #. I bought the yeast (a bunch of them in fact) from a local BOP wine dealer. It concerns me how he stores the yeast - basically in a little bin in direct sunlight out in the open instead of refridgerated.

I'll let the beer finish as it seems to be fermenting normally plus its already racked to keg but the smell of this yeast gives me serious concerns. Is there a recall on this lot # does anyone know?

Is there some kind of conspiracy afoot on this forum to slander Nottingham???? I've used Nottingham for years with success, as have a lot of my home brewing superiors. Either something bad is going on @ Nottingham, or else a bunch of Danstar stock-holders have infiltrated this forum.

Is there some kind of conspiracy afoot on this forum to slander Nottingham???? I've used Nottingham for years with success, as have a lot of my home brewing superiors. Either something bad is going on @ Nottingham, or else a bunch of Danstar stock-holders have infiltrated this forum.

Yes there is a conspiracy. Also un-smart brewers who have the audacity to question the viability of a known good yeast (and who don't have a very good sense of smell and perhaps hallucinate rather regularly) are stupidly posting that some Nottingham batches are "bad." Fools. They should be using liquid yeast anyway. It is reasonably clear that if it don't ferment, the pitcher is at fault. Apparently.

no, nottingham has recently changed something in their process that is affecting quality, i noticed it also. maybe new lines, or something else new. maybe something new to cut costs.

but its def effecting end results

Yes there is a conspiracy. Also un-smart brewers who have the audacity to question the viability of a known good yeast (and who don't have a very good sense of smell and perhaps hallucinate rather regularly) are stupidly posting that some Nottingham batches are "bad." Fools. They should be using liquid yeast anyway. It is reasonably clear that if it don't ferment, the pitcher is at fault. Apparently.

I'm under the impression that if people just peruse the thread titles w/o researching that it would be pretty easy to conclude that SOMETHING bad must be going on @ Nottingham. I just used some a few weeks ago for an IPA after my White Labs was exposed to high temps and was sluggish, and a pack of Nottingham saved the day. Perhaps something is going on, but so far from what I've read it would seem that user-error/mis-interpretation is the issue, and not the manufacturer....no disrespect meant to the thread starters; but that's just my guess.

Yes, that is why Danstar has issued recalls of this yeast previously. It is no conspiracy if the company itself knows things are wrong.

People have reported perforations in the packets where the lot# and date were stamped. There are a number of photographs here if you search for them.

Yes, I am a new brewer, and no I do not use this yeast. Precisely because of the large amount of documentation on this website (photographic and otherwise) that show it to be unreliable. See below for a previous recall of Notty:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nottingham-yeast-recall-135065/

Latest posts

Back