Cheapest easiest temp control device.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I am attempting to make a fermentation chamber out of a mini fridge I have. I am NOT handy especially when it comes to wiring and and do not want to fool with any of that. I just want the simpliest, cheapest on/off temp control device you know of, and by that I mean plug and play, no wiring required.

I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321211828137?lpid=82 but this is $45 and i've heard you can get them for about $20 but I can't seem to find them. Also, I would be willing to pay a bit more if I could find one locally but I have no idea who would carry them. Lowe's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321211828137?lpid=82 but this is $45 and i've heard you can get them for about $20 but I can't seem to find them. Also, I would be willing to pay a bit more if I could find one locally but I have no idea who would carry them. Lowe's?
you're not going to get a Ranco or a Johnson for $20. what you will get is a STC-1000 (ex: http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000-Whit-sensor-/320628773067) but that will require some wiring. once you get all the parts together, you'll be within striking distance of that $45 Ranco so if you're not handy with wiring and you don't have the simple tools required to pull off a STC-1000, bring a $45 prefab might be the best thing for you.

I am attempting to make a fermentation chamber out of a mini fridge I have. I am NOT handy especially when it comes to wiring and and do not want to fool with any of that. I just want the simpliest, cheapest on/off temp control device you know of, and by that I mean plug and play, no wiring required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I love my $20 STC-1000 controllers (all three of em), but since you very clearly don't want to do any sort of wiring, you ought to get the $45 plug-n-play Ranco.

You won't find these sorts of things at Lowes or HD.

If you absolutely do not want to wire, get a built controller. Spend the extra $20 for your peace of mind. Otherwise, the STC-1000 and a Decora duplex outlet will fit into a 2-gang PVC electrical box. Salvage a 6 ft cord from a computer or extension cord with ground prong, and you are in business.

Sooo...I'm pretty sure that even that $45 one is unwired. Compare to This one, and notice the outlets on the bottom. Also, I think that the one you linked to only cools and can't heat. For a fermentation chamber you'd prefer to be able to do both to really dial in your temperatures.

Go to www.risendeadbrewing.com
They sell the STC-1000 that measures in F for $17.50. For an additional $22 they will build it into an enclosure for you.

Wow I didn't know that was available! That's really cool, and a good price. OP, I think this is gonna be your best bet. And if I ultimately fail in being able to dial in the coarse-adjust screw on my new Keezer, I may go this route for that unit as well...

Geeze, that RisenDead controller is an excellent build. Strain relief, fuse, well worth the extra change.

Geeze, that RisenDead controller is an excellent build. Strain relief, fuse, well worth the extra change.

For $43 + shipping, that's an excellent option for those who don't wish to attempt any wiring, but want to enjoy having a true dual-temp controller box.

Thumbs up on that find.

For $43 + shipping, that's an excellent option for those who don't wish to attempt any wiring, but want to enjoy having a true dual-temp controller box.

Thumbs up on that find.

Interesting.

The picture of the bare controller is clearly not an STC-1000 as it only has one set of relay terminals.
So whatever that is in that picture (most likely a WillHi) it's only a single stage controller.
And the STC-1000 only reads in Celsius.

The other two pictures of the encased controller obviously show an STC-1000 - reading in Celsius, of course.

All of the specification verbiage looks like a cut-and-paste from a WillHi page.
I'd make sure what they're actually selling before ordering...

Cheers!

Interesting.

The picture of the bare controller is clearly not an STC-1000 as it only has one set of relay terminals.
So whatever that is in that picture (most likely a WillHi) it's only a single stage controller.

The other two pictures of the encased controller obviously show an STC-1000 - reading in Celsius, of course.

All of the specification verbiage looks like a cut-and-paste from a WillHi page.

Cheers!

Wow, good eye!

Interesting.

Cheers!

Ok so I am seriously confused. Is this http://www.risendeadbrewing.com/product-p/temcon.htm going to work or not? All I care about it that there is no wiring involved. If it is only a single stage that is fine. I can hook it up to the fridge for cooling in the summer months and put a light bulb in there for heat in the winter (although I live in the south and I doubt seriously that keeping my beer warm enough will ever be an issue)

Please help. This seems like a great deal but I don't want to get hoodwinked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either of the two controllers pictured at risendead would do the trick if you're not worried about dual control. I've seen threads here where people had purchased the pre wired controllers from them and were satisfied. Id say same or less risk than buying one off ebay.....

(Edit) Shoot em an email if you want to know for sure what controller they are offering. It may tell you something about there customer service as well depending on how quickly they respond. [email protected]

Either of the two controllers pictured at risendead would do the trick if you're not worried about dual control. I've seen threads here where people had purchased the pre wired controllers from them and were satisfied. Id say same or less risk than buying one off ebay.....

(Edit) Shoot em an email if you want to know for sure what controller they are offering. It may tell you something about there customer service as well depending on how quickly they respond. [email protected]

Any person with a Tom T. Hall quote as their signature I have to trust!

Didn't notice this "mouse type" on the risendead site earlier, but this appears to confirm that their controllers are single stage only - regardless of what they show in the assembled version...

"Both assembled and unassembled versions shown in pictures. This controller will only do heating or cooling, not in a two-stage manner. The wiring is all the same, it is based on the settings."

If that's correct, they're not selling the STC-1000 after all...

Cheers!

Back