"What's 'On Tap'"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not kegging. I just bottle. It's just an expression, ya know? What's on Tap?

I'm going out to buy a dry erase board, or maybe a magnetic chalk board. On it, I will keep a list of the beers in the fridge. So long as folks abide by the rule (add one of the same kind you took to the back for each one you take), I should be able to maintain a nice rotating stock.

The dry-erase will list the name, style, ABV, IBU, and a one sentence description.

I'm thinking I'll have a dry-erase sign and a little laminated message underneath. It'll say... I think...

Damn Squirrels Ales
My beers are homemade using traditional methods, ingredients, and processes. These beers are bottle-conditioned, using live yeast to carbonate the beer. So...
1. Pour Once. Do not tip, tip, tip, the beer and expect the beer to pour clear. For hefeweizens, or if you like yeast in your beer, go ahead and agitate. But for other styles, pour it slowly, pour it gently, pour it once.
2. Leave a couple tablespoons of beer in the bottle. This has a dramatic effect on clarity.
3. Let it warm up. Don't be afraid. The best flavors start to come out around 45-55 degrees.
4. Replace the bottle you took so my next one can be cold too.
5. Enjoy!!!!

Let's see...a keg each of Hefe Weizen and Edwort's Pale Ale in the kegerator...:ban:

and 2 kegs of Hefe Weizen, a keg of Gingered Ale, a keg of Serrano Chile, 2 kegs of Czech Budvar, a keg of Mild Basstard, and a keg of Oktoberfest Amber in the keezer...:D ;) :drunk:

I currently have on tap, a keg of Oak Aged Imperial IPA and a keg of Cincinnati Red.

oaimperialipa.jpegcinred.jpeg

Attachments

• oaimperialipa.png
    oaimperialipa.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 279
  • cinred.png
    cinred.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 279
Interesting idea...

At present, I'm using a piece of notebook paper to post a list of what homebrews are in the fridge. The only label on my bottles is a small dot with the batch number.

A dry erase board hung on the door would function in an awesome fashion!

Thanks, DS

Well, until I grab the dry erase board, here's what I've got...

Just printed on a piece of paper using Scribus, easily updated...

6513-BeerList-page1.jpeg

I have a dry erase board. It only lists the name if the beer has one or style and the number that coincides with the number on the bottle cap, and the number by the recipe in the brew log.

Yeah...this would be a huge burden for anyone who decides to drink from my fridge. I have stacks and stacks of cases, and finding where any particular batch is hidden is only my domain. So I just made up a key for my bottle cap codes and stuck it to the fridge with a magnet. Nothing as fancy as Damn Squirrel's, but it gets the job done no doubt.

Heh. I currently have W and H bottled and drinking.

6 bottles of W (Witbier) left, and about 40 bottles of a ranther hotly fermented and banana tasting Hefeweizen.

Bottling another Witbier this weekend.

-D

I was thinking rfid chips that measured temperature and pressure of my kegs would also have a image code.

The rfid reader in my fridge would sense which kegs were being served and thier location as well as the weight (subtracting the tare of course). The on-board fridge computer could then read and display an image of the beer label with the temp, pressure and %full. It would also hit my brewing server to display OG, FG and ABV.

The information would be rendered on 3"x4" OLED screens on each tap handle.

A combination of keypresses on the OLED tap handle screen would promt a multi-media display on the freezer mounted LCD which may include video, recipies and branding.

A thumbprint reader might be used for security or user preferences. Something along the lines of the Amazon, "95% of the people that liked the Mesquite Pale Ale also tapped the Ironwood Imperial IPA."

Of couse from there, it's just a short leap to have the webserver auto-update my HBT signature.

Unfortuately this board restricts HTML code and images in the signature, so I scrapped the whole project. ;)

Back