What BJCP style is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to enter my Pumpkin Buffalo Sweat into a competition coming up, and wanted to make sure I put it in the right category. I believe it should be 21B, but wanted to make sure it shouldn't be in 23A. Here is the recipe, thanks for any advice!

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 7.75-lbs.-Briess-Pale-Ale-
-- 1-lbs.-English-Roasted-Barley-
-- 1-lbs.-German-Vienna-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Flaked-Oats-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Briess-Victory-
-- 0.375-lbs.-English-Black-Malt

Boil
-- 0.5-lbs.-Lactose-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-Glacier-(60-min)-
-- 0.25-oz.-Willamette-(5-min)

Secondary additions:
1/2-Tablespoon of ground Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2-teaspoon of ground Allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-cinnamon stick
2.5-cloves
1/2 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract

I would push toward 21A s/h/v instead of the 21B, which is designated for Christmas beers. Based on the spices you're listing, I would think it would taste more like pumpkin pie than ginger bread or other Christmas flavors.

The description is key to these styles since that is what the judges go off when scoring the beer. Something like "Milk stout with pumpkin pie spices" would be what I'd use. If you get more descriptive, it gives the judges more to hone in on and rip apart in my experience. If you'd do something like "Milk stout with pumpkin pie spice, Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla" and the judges don't taste the cinnamon like they're expecting, you risk getting docked points.

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I was thinking 21b was because of this:

"Ingredients: Generally ales, although some dark strong lagers
exist. Spices are required, and often include those evocative of the
Christmas season (e.g., allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves,
ginger) but any combination is possible and creativity is
encouraged."

Although it would be more of a Thanksgiving beer, I figure this fits pretty well with what I made. I will continue to read the style guidelines for 21a though. Thanks for the advice!

I would push toward 21A s/h/v instead of the 21B, which is designated for Christmas beers. Based on the spices you're listing, I would think it would taste more like pumpkin pie than ginger bread or other Christmas flavors.

The description is key to these styles since that is what the judges go off when scoring the beer. Something like "Milk stout with pumpkin pie spices" would be what I'd use. If you get more descriptive, it gives the judges more to hone in on and rip apart in my experience. If you'd do something like "Milk stout with pumpkin pie spice, Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla" and the judges don't taste the cinnamon like they're expecting, you risk getting docked points.

Absolutely agree on this one. Just be sure you highlight those key things in your description (base beer, spices/additions, any other highlights) and you should be good to go. Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes!

Absolutely agree on this one. Just be sure you highlight those key things in your description (base beer, spices/additions, any other highlights) and you should be good to go. Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes!

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Looks like its going in 21A. The comp isnt till next month, but I will let you know how I do!

Back