sumac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Looks like it was good enough for you to want to keep experimenting with it. You may be the only one in the world that has made a good Sumac beer.

I just made a couple of 1 gallon sumac "beers" based on the infamous and famous Graff. I actually kept it very close to the Graff recipe only used sumacade as the base rather than apple juice. It is actually my favorite Graff so far and I have made many, many batches of Graff in the past.

That second link looks like what grows wild around here,particularly around train tracks/bridges. I always thought they looked like a jungle tree. I wondered why the local birds,& migrating ones are always fighting over the best clumps of berries. The guy behind me has them covering the ridge of the ravine out back. Might see if I can get some...

Bluemoose, I will find my notes and send the exact recipe. But basically I used the grains, DME and hops per the Graff recipe and used the Sumacade as the base rather than apple juice. It really is my favorite "Graff" by far. Actually it is a Sumac beer. Try it and let me know. I really think we may be onto something. ALthough, I am not really sure how many people would actually be interested in a Sumac beer.

I've been pondering using the sumacade as part of the top off liquid in a wheat ale. Would the flavor of the sumacade be ok at,say,2G out of 6G?

You might want to go a little lower on the ade. I have found in my itchy ale that the concentration of 8 oz of concentrate with 1 gallon is quite enough. I know we are not talking the same thing as you would be using sumacade, but it is powerful stuff.
I would be a bit concerned about the possibility of infection with straight sumac ade as there in no really good way to wash the sumac. That is why I went with a concentrate. I am interested to find out if it comes out ok.

This thread is very old I realize. Any further forays into brewing with sumac? I am considering splitting my saison (10 gallon brew this weekend) into 3 variants, one with sumac .

I use one campden tablet per gallon of wine must. You're not really going to have wine must, just crushed fruit. But it would be similar, I'd say. Dissolve the campden tablets (crush first) in the water, stir well, and pour over the fruit (already in the mesh bag, to make life easier) and cover. That will work just fine.

Linked to this thread from another about sanitising fresh fruit pre adding to the secondary….

One thing I get confused about with campden tablets is they are used to stop fermentation in some cases right? (Wine)

I use one every brew day in the liquor for beer but if I wash 4-5kg of strawberries in a campden tablet solution before freezing etc and eventually adding to my secondary, will it interfere with the ability of the fruit to be fermented out?

I have made fruit beers before to good effect but using large fruit like watermelon where I have star sanned the outside before cutting up the flesh and freezing / re freezing etc. Or with smaller fruit soaking in vodka. With this many strawberries that would mean adding a lot of vodka!

Linked to this thread from another about sanitising fresh fruit pre adding to the secondary….

One thing I get confused about with campden tablets is they are used to stop fermentation in some cases right? (Wine)

I use one every brew day in the liquor for beer but if I wash 4-5kg of strawberries in a campden tablet solution before freezing etc and eventually adding to my secondary, will it interfere with the ability of the fruit to be fermented out?

I have made fruit beers before to good effect but using large fruit like watermelon where I have star sanned the outside before cutting up the flesh and freezing / re freezing etc. Or with smaller fruit soaking in vodka. With this many strawberries that would mean adding a lot of vodka!

No- first of all, the amount needed for sanitation (death to microbes!) is more than what you’d typically use in a beer. To stop fermentation in wine, you’d need to use so much the wine would be undrinkable.

When you add it to wine must, at 1 campden tablet per gallon, you generally let the must sit for 24 hours and then add your yeast. That allows much of the sulfur dioxide to disparate. However, wine yeast is amazingly tolerant of sulfites.

Sanitize your crushed fruit with 1 campden tablet per gallon of crushed fruit, allow that to sit about 24 hours and then freeze if you’d like.

No- first of all, the amount needed for sanitation (death to microbes!) is more than what you’d typically use in a beer. To stop fermentation in wine, you’d need to use so much the wine would be undrinkable.

When you add it to wine must, at 1 campden tablet per gallon, you generally let the must sit for 24 hours and then add your yeast. That allows much of the sulfur dioxide to disparate. However, wine yeast is amazingly tolerant of sulfites.

Sanitize your crushed fruit with 1 campden tablet per gallon of crushed fruit, allow that to sit about 24 hours and then freeze if you’d like.
Cheers for the reply Yooper. I needed to crack on so I just made a campden tablet solution and washed the fruit in batches. But I only soaked it for an hour or something. Is that likely to be a problem? That I didn’t leave it for 24 hours. The fruit is in the freezer so worst case scenario I could bin and get more fruit rather than ruin a whole beer

Ps I just crushed a couple of campden tablets, diluted in a really big mixing bowl with water. I did the same thing for each batch to get rid of the scuff

Back