Stupid Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Well Saturday I wanted to brew my Austin Homebrew Dusseldorf Altbier session series recipe, and I made my Kolsch starter and was ready to rock. I can only brew outside and I believe I am running out of time to where it won't be 30F outside. Got my steeping grains in, got the extract in, got the burner going and wort was boiling. Meanwhile I decided I would bottle my Franziskaner clone that was ready. Boiling beer outside, in the open (I have no other option), no lid on my keggle, in the fall in southern PA....it can get WINDY.

Yeah I said no lid, I was following advice I have heard on here LOL, I always boil without a lid, and the Bayou Classic kicks some ass and it will boil over with a 5 gal batch with the lid on my keggle.

I came up to put my 15 mins hop addition and irish moss in, and man it looked like I had already put the irish moss in. But it wasn't irish moss. It was...

LEAVES

Yes, a huge wind kicked up brown leaves and they blew into my keggle. I put the hops in and the irish moss in anyway and could not see any whole leaves in the wort, but I assumed they broke into little pieces in the kettle. I could see where the boil came up to the sides of the keggle and it sure as hell wasn't hop pieces stuck on the side. So I finished the boil like a good little brewer and chilled the wort.

The wort tasted like someone put dirt in it. GOD it tasted so bad, I spit it out. I drank 2 Diet Cokes and ate a brownie (Yeah I know a dumb combo but that was what was closest to the sink) and I STILL had the flavor in my mouth.

I sure as hell wasn't going to dump it right then and there I paid 8 bucks for a yeast packet and made a nice starter, not to mention the price of the kit and 5 gal of distilled water. So 12 hrs later it was bubbling right along fermentation took right off.

Did I make leaf beer? I hope it ferments out. This was my LUCKY NUMBER 10 batch I have made since I started, I guess a **** up every 10 batches isn't that bad for a noob!

No matter how it tastes I am not dumping it! :mug:

It's probably going to be the best beer you've ever made. Better start trying to figure out the type and amount of leaves that blew in there!

Just leaf it alone. No reason to blow your top. If all else falls, it makes great fertilizer. I don't see the point in getting all treed up.

We're all rooting for you.

Just out of curiosity, if your doing extract why do you have to brew outdoors?

I brew at my parent's house, I live in an apartment, never brewed inside, the rents forbid it on their stupid smoothtop stove and I do full boils in the keggle outside.

I am going to try to go backwards once the real winter sets in and do it at my apartment, just didn't want to worry about boilovers and the mess in the house, but I can't stop making beer over winter!

Never walk away from the boil is the lesson I have learned over the years. Spooky things can happy when you walk away.

Just out of curiosity, if your doing extract why do you have to brew outdoors?

Why not? Full boils are better for ANY beer; extract, partial mash, full-on AG, if you can boil all your water, do it! And most people, (myself included), cant get more than about 3 gallons boiling on an indoor stove.

In the fall I use one of those SS mesh splatter shields for frying pans. They let all the boil off pass but nothing can get in.I really don't see how a couple of leaves can really effect the beer.

Well Saturday I wanted to brew my Austin Homebrew Dusseldorf Altbier session series recipe, and I made my Kolsch starter and was ready to rock. I can only brew outside and I believe I am running out of time to where it won't be 30F outside. Got my steeping grains in, got the extract in, got the burner going and wort was boiling. Meanwhile I decided I would bottle my Franziskaner clone that was ready. Boiling beer outside, in the open (I have no other option), no lid on my keggle, in the fall in southern PA....it can get WINDY.

Yeah I said no lid, I was following advice I have heard on here LOL, I always boil without a lid, and the Bayou Classic kicks some ass and it will boil over with a 5 gal batch with the lid on my keggle.

I came up to put my 15 mins hop addition and irish moss in, and man it looked like I had already put the irish moss in. But it wasn't irish moss. It was...

LEAVES

Yes, a huge wind kicked up brown leaves and they blew into my keggle. I put the hops in and the irish moss in anyway and could not see any whole leaves in the wort, but I assumed they broke into little pieces in the kettle. I could see where the boil came up to the sides of the keggle and it sure as hell wasn't hop pieces stuck on the side. So I finished the boil like a good little brewer and chilled the wort.

The wort tasted like someone put dirt in it. GOD it tasted so bad, I spit it out. I drank 2 Diet Cokes and ate a brownie (Yeah I know a dumb combo but that was what was closest to the sink) and I STILL had the flavor in my mouth.

I sure as hell wasn't going to dump it right then and there I paid 8 bucks for a yeast packet and made a nice starter, not to mention the price of the kit and 5 gal of distilled water. So 12 hrs later it was bubbling right along fermentation took right off.

Did I make leaf beer? I hope it ferments out. This was my LUCKY NUMBER 10 batch I have made since I started, I guess a **** up every 10 batches isn't that bad for a noob!

No matter how it tastes I am not dumping it! :mug:

I know everyone hates when someone bumps an old thread but...

I drank this beer after it sat in the primary for 5 weeks, the last 2 weeks were in the garage around 50F. Then I bottled it and it still tasted like ****. Fast forward about 6 months since brew day...I had one and drank 3 more. Not too bad. Never had a Dusseldorf Altbier but it is pretty damn good. I dumped about 15 bottles maybe 4 months ago thinking it was screwed up for good, and then I just needed bottles so I left the rest of the batch alone.
It is as clear as a bell and just some harsh bitterness at the finish which I attributed to hard water soon after that brew.

But it goes to show what everyone says on here, DO NOT GIVE UP on a brew. It might taste like skunk piss after 3 months but it will work out eventually. I almost puked when I tasted this beer for the first time, and now 6 months later it is pretty decent. Lesson learned.:mug:

Latest posts

Back