The second coming of Krausen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So my 11/28 batch is 2+ weeks old and yesterday I noticed a new formation of bubbles on the surface. I take a gravity reading and it was 1.020 (after 2 weeks), I also took a reading on my 12/06 batch and it was 1.012 (FG). I intend to keep them for 3 weeks and 11/28 batch I swirled yesterday and now I have heavy foam forming up on the surface. Obviously its not as big as the first krausen but still its getting close to an inch. This is with the infamous Muntons yeast which people often blame for the stuck fermentation. The morale of the story is dont give up on the yeasties no matter what race, brand or color they might be.

Its evil brew, pure evil.

When I was brewing it 2+ weeks ago I was watching Omen on blu ray. The temperature at which the beer was mostly fermented was ~66.6 (no joke). Friday night I was watching Omen 3 on blu ray (from Netflix and it took 2 weeks for me to watch Omen1, 2 and 3 and some other movies in between). The third movie of this series is about the 2nd coming of anti christ and after this movie, on Saturday the beer has resurrected from ~66.6 and went up to ~70. I am keeping it at room temperature to stimulate yeasties to finish up after themselves and to lower from Saturdays 1.020.

Depending on the status of the foam by the end of this week I should bottle this evil brew. If I still have it then I will wait a few more days over 3 weeks and possible bottle it same time as my other brew which will be 2+ weeks old but has already hit FG.

Just checked it and my krausen has almost disappeared, today in the morning I still had the same amount as before. It had a good run of ~48 hours of 2nd krausen.

I just did a search b/c the same thing has happened with my second batch, a slightly modified Seattle bitter. It has been in the primary for 2 weeks now, I stirred up some trub the other night from moving it from the counter to the floor. I mixed up a batch of apfelwein and came to check on it the next day to check out the airlock bubbling away, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw the airlock on my bitter bubble. Sure enough, a layer of bubbles slowly formed across the surface, and now I have a 1/2" layer of foam across the top--looks like I poured a giant glass of beer.

I'm curious Pivzavod, how did yours turn out?

I overcarbed the portion that I put into a Party Pig so it was foamy. The bottled part was ok but I feel due to use of dry yeast I didnt get it close to what I expected. I plan to rebrew the style but with liquid yeast.

I'm glad I found this thread. I brewed almost two weeks ago, my first 10 gal all-grain.(fairly non-descript blonde ale, for a wedding with BMC drinkers)
I pitched in 2 5 gallon containers, My typical primary bucket, and a glass carboy.
I did this with the intention that I can then rack to secondary in my 2 glass carboys. (Full carboy to clean carboy, clean out the carboy, bucket to freshly clean carboy, freeing up my bottling bucket)
Since It had been over a week and all action had seemed to stop around tuesday I was planning to transfer everything to secondaries last night(thur). I open the door and the glass carboy has a fresh krausen and is bubbling like I had pitched the night before.
The only thing I can think of is that SWMBO turned the AC off and opened some windows, but she can't stand the heat so I don't think I got more than a maybe 5 or 10 degree swing. (I told her not to do it again while I'm fermenting, but I was at work and damage? had already been done)
Funny thing is the plastic bucket did not kick back off but the glass carboy did, I'm going to give it a few days to "finish up" again and go ahead and rack to secondary unless someone tells me a reason not to.
If Something truly strange is happening please enlighten me.

-T

I brewed a honey baltic porter. Seen some bubbles on top again after a month followed by a second krausen... problem was aparently it was infected with lactobacillus. at least thats what the guy at LHBS says because he says there was some off flavor. I def noticed it to.

Take a sip when its ready and see what it tastes like.

Back