Saved by SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
A long story, so I'll bullet it

- Brewing a beer
- Needed to get to home depot before it closed
- Asked wife to add the 20 minute hop addition since I knew I probably would miss that.
- Stupidly, I didn't give her any other instructions
- on my way back home, I get a flat tire.
- oh, I forgot to mention that she just lost her phone the other day, so I had no way to get a hold of her.
- being amazing as she is, she found my recipe/instructions on my laptop screen and knew what to do for the flameout addition
- also, because she's had to listen to all my beer talk and watched me in the past, she knew to use the wort chiller properly to cool the wort down within 20 minutes (actually 19 in this case)
- She then continued to rehydrate the dry yeast in preparation for the pitch
- I finally got home in time to finish everything else myself
- I'm just blown away that she actually paid attention to my beer gibberish and actually retained it well enough to properly handle the situation without me telling her a thing.

Very very very lucky

dang my girl would have no idea what to do

That's good wifin...glad you bullet pointed that or no one would read the long version. I think that needs to be made a new forum rule, bullet point long posts.

I suspect that most of our SWMBO are capable of this provided "we" have earned the respect. (Don't most of our SWMBO hang onto every word especially if in argument).

Question is, are you attentive enough that you could reciprocate (somehow) if needs be?

bja said:
How long did it take you to change that tire?

About 40 minutes. I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid spare tire disattached. It should've only taken 5 - 10 minutes.

The Toyota 4runner has a weird way of doing it. Glad I was actually able to figure it out.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I suspect that most of our SWMBO are capable of this provided "we" have earned the respect. (Don't most of our SWMBO hang onto every word especially if in argument).

Question is, are you attentive enough that you could reciprocate (somehow) if needs be?

Good point. Unfortunately, I am known for not being anywhere near as attentive. That's why I usually get my a$$ handed to me if we fight/argue.

Very impressive. Not that my wife couldn't do it, she wouldn't be confident and would be scared of screwing it up for me. I'd probably send her to Home Depot and keep brewing the beer myself!

Then of course I'd have to find a way to get to changing a tire for her while I'm cooling wort...

Slowfro said:
Very impressive. Not that my wife couldn't do it, she wouldn't be confident and would be scared of screwing it up for me. I'd probably send her to Home Depot and keep brewing the beer myself!

Then of course I'd have to find a way to get to changing a tire for her while I'm cooling wort...

And you'd have to have the confidence that she would be able to shop for you at Home Depot.

Clap......clap......clap.....clap....clap...clap..clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

(dramatic slow building clap erupting in applause)

Your wife rocks!

Mine leaves everytime I have a brew day (might be on to something here :p) so she would have NO clue what to do.

Seriously though, love my wife, she just doesn't like the smell of brew day, so she gets out of the house. I'm just trying to convince her to let me buy more equipment for outside brewing, no such luck yet.

I do the brewing in my house and my husband would have been clueless. He drinks my beer and brags about what great beer "we" make. Today he was home as I was adding hops and every time the egg timer went off he would say, "Do you really need that thing to keep going off"
Your wife is wonderful!!!!!

I do the brewing in my house and my husband would have been clueless. He drinks my beer and brags about what great beer "we" make. Today he was home as I was adding hops and every time the egg timer went off he would say, "Do you really need that thing to keep going off"
Your wife is wonderful!!!!!

My wife doesn't even like beer - she helps me bottle or assists in a mash stir occasionally but would never retain enough to help like that. CNt blame them when they don't even like the finished product! (Still working on that!)

My wife doesn't even like beer - she helps me bottle or assists in a mash stir occasionally but would never retain enough to help like that. CNt blame them when they don't even like the finished product! (Still working on that!)

I'm in the same boat as you mako. My wife hates beer and just about all liquor and she do help out some times, but most of the time I'm winging solo.

You're a lucky man! My wife loves to drink my beer and is happy to put up with my equipment and beer bottles stashed everywhere. But as soon as I start talking about beer, she just rolls her eyes and ignores me. Kind of like what I do if she's talking about makeup or clothes.

Keeper.....

My wife bought me the brew equipment to get me started.

One time when I forgot something I asked her to do the hop additions ( I explained which ones to put in at certain times) while I ran to the LHBS to get the stuff I forgot.

She rarely drinks beer, but loves good beer and supports my brewing a lot. Even give me good critiques of me recipes.

Seriously, once a year I run my wife through a tire changing drill on her truck. Too many creeps on the road now days. If my wife gets a flat she is confident through repetition that she can change the tire herself and not have to wait on the side of the road for "help".

That's impressive.

My wife would have thrown in the hops and then had no idea what to do. She might have turned off the burner when I didn't get home, but no way she'd hook up the CFC and drain the kettle.

neko said:
That's impressive.

My wife would have thrown in the hops and then had no idea what to do. She might have turned off the burner when I didn't get home, but no way she'd hook up the CFC and drain the kettle.

Good for you. My wife would have taken a nap.

Back