Putting together a beer sampler for a non-craft beer drinker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the stout, why not something from an American craft brewery? Rogue Shakespeare Stout is imminently approachable, tasty, and with a slightly lighter body than many stouts, which makes it quaffable and easy to enjoy.

I just brewed the Brewing Network CYBI version of it earlier today, although I didn't pitch Pacman yeast. I used Denny's Favorite 50. I'm hoping it comes out tasting as good as the Rogue Shakespeare Stout. I drank my post-boil hydrometer jar sample, and it sure was tasty.

There's way too much attitude in this thread.
IMO you've left out the beer that's changed so many people to aopreciate bigger beers. I know you said no 22oz but arrogant bastard is amazing and like a gateway drug lol. You think its bitter at first but love the malty flavor. Next thing you know after a few your paletes leveled up and it taaste as non bitter as a lager. =]

here's my list I would possibly do if my goal was to convert a bmc to real beer.
Victory pilsner -light
Sierra Nevada pale ale
Sierra Nevada torpedo ipa but more like a hoppy pale ale to me lol
Lagunitas ipa as a gateway- I'd think a real ipa like green flash west coast would be too much
Arrogant bastard-red strong ale
Bitches creek ESB

IMO that's a perfect gateway beer selection.

This thread went awry early on. You don't have to read very far to see where that occurred.

Perhaps the OP could just start over with a new thread. To his credit, he remained calm in the face of criticism and he didn't fan the flames in any of his responses.

Honestly, can any of you remember your first IPA or pale ale? I can... I couldn't finish it because it was too bitter. I can't imagine many people can appreciate something of that nature after drinking BMC products. Most people need to be carefully and delicately brought into beer with more flavor or they will turn their back on it in a hurry.

Honestly, can any of you remember your first IPA or pale ale? I can... I couldn't finish it because it was too bitter. I can't imagine many people can appreciate something of that nature after drinking BMC products. Most people need to be carefully and delicately brought into beer with more flavor or they will turn their back on it in a hurry.

The OPs selection for an IPA was Bell's Two Hearted. That is not an over-the-top IPA like DFH 90 or 120 or Stone's Ruination. I would never give one of the latter to anyone who had not already developed a liking for hop bitterness.

I think the OPs idea was to represent a few of the major styles from points along the brewing spectrum with good quality well-regarded examples as an introduction to craft beers for his friend. It's not as if anyone could pick six beers that would all be winners for every palate, but it seems like a good way to introduce someone to the possibilities. Many people who are new to craft beers would find at least one or more of the styles represented by the six picks to be to their liking.

But yeah, I remember when I first started drinking craft beers, most of the American IPAs I tried were too hoppy for me. Heck, it took me a while to get used to the hop level of SNPA.

Loved IPA at the first taste, but then my friends and I were drinking a lot of Brigeport's Blue Heron (pale ale) in high school back in the early 90's. Best friend's older brother (the beer provider) didn't want us drinking **** beer. Hooray for beer snobs.

If you're looking for a good oatmeal stout The Poet from New Holland is very good.

Good call!

For the stout, why not something from an American craft brewery? Rogue Shakespeare Stout...

Another good suggestion. I'm not sure if it comes in 12 oz, though.
There's way too much attitude in this thread.
IMO you've left out the beer that's changed so many people to aopreciate bigger beers. I know you said no 22oz but arrogant bastard is amazing and like a gateway drug lol.

We can get the bastard in 12's here and that's not a bad idea at all. I prefer AB with some age on it (call me crazy) to mellow it out a bit. After that, it's exactly like what you describe.

Honestly, can any of you remember your first IPA or pale ale?

Yep, SNPA. I couldn't believe how great it was, even when it warmed up a little (unlike BMC).

The OPs selection for an IPA was Bell's Two Hearted. That is not an over-the-top IPA like DFH 90 or 120 or Stone's Ruination...

Thanks!

IffyG said:

I do remember my first.ipa. damn it was.good. perhaps still my favorite. However mu first pale ale was too bitter to finish. Ironic? Yes. Hops= amazing. I was an idiot.

Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock (still brewed as an ale since 1569)

Sorry, your information is not correct.
The Salvator double bock is a bottom-fermented beer= Lager
IffyG said:
I remember my first IPA:D
Recently I tasted a few, still not my style.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I remember my first IPA... Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I absolutely hated it. I drank the rest by mixing it with Michelob Ultra.. *dodges rocks being thrown*

Now I love a good IPA. And actually, to my palette, DFH 90 is less bitter than 60, in perceived bitterness anyway. Definitely more hoppy (not to be confused with bitter), but has a hell of a malty backbone to back it up.

I've never tried two-hearted as I can't get it where I am, as far as I know. I'd love to though. I think, and this is merely my opinion 100%, a good IPA to bring a BMC drinker would be a hoppy one, but not an overly bitter one. In other words, good strong hoppy flavor and aroma, to get the person used to the hops and see if he even LIKES them, before pounding them with over the top bitterness. Again, that's probably what I would do... no idea if it's the best approach or not though.

Sorry, your information is not correct.
The Salvator double bock is a bottom-fermented beer= Lager

I remember my first IPA:D
Recently I tasted a few, still not my style.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Sorry,you're def wrong. Read the label,it says "ale". Seems to me I read about that on the germenbeerinstitute.com as well. I've drunk a lot of it. Most doppel bocks are lagers now,except for the original,the Salvator.
**PS-well,this weird. I know I've seen the word "ale" on the label. But the story at germanbeerinstitute.com refers to it being "lagered" in their cellars after a commercial guy bought it outright after Napolean shut the monks down. Darn it,now I have to go out & buy some. I never saved any of the labels from all those bottles of Salvator we drank. Idk,maybe they just made it ahead of time & put it in cold storage so it wouldn't degrade as fast till Lent???

Sorry,you're def wrong. Read the label,it says "ale".

Many lager beers have the word ALE on the label.
Based on your reply I can tell you are not familiar with the labeling laws.
Many states required any beer style above a certain alcohol level to be marked ALE or Malt Liquor.
The position of the word ALE is on most labels close to the edge or next to the volume and alcohol info.

Example #1
Two lagers with the word ALE

100_1962.jpg

I've drunk a lot of it.
Salvator is a lager, now I know why you forgot:D

Example #2
100_1963.jpg

Idk,maybe they just made it ahead of time & put it in cold storage so it wouldn't degrade as fast till Lent???
The brewers in dose days did not know the difference between ale and lager yeast.
The knew fermenting during the cold days created a different flavor profile than during warmer days.
They used open fermenters and only cold temp tolerant wild yeast did the job.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Chances are he may not like it at first anyways. Im a firm believer that your palate has to be trained.It happend to me. I remember not likeing SN pale ale along time ago, i even didnt like Bells two hearted much at first but after another try after trying some it was my favorite.I dont like everybodys interpetation of a particular style either.Try like 5 different stouts, id probably only favor 1 or 2 out of those and may never get that style from those i didnt like again,maybe.
Where is this thread goiing anyway? Are you still looking for suggestions,or are you exhausted from frustration?

I know whenever I go back to Michigan I pick up a 6-pack of Ghettoblaster from Motor City. Any interest there?

Also, maybe Nut Brown from Michigan Brewing or Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue?

Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes?

Just a few that are coming to mind...

This is an excellent plan. Here is a site you might find helpful if you need tips on how to store your Michigan Beer. Finding The Right Temperature For Your Michigan Beer It might help keep the beer tasting as fresh as possible before sampling it all to your friend.

I'd like to put together a 12'er of beer with 2 of each beer of the following styles for my buddy at work. And I need one more style. The idea is to give him a wide range of beer that I like, not necessarily the next step after BMC. That's why wheats, ambers, blonds, Belgiums, etc. are out.

Pale (Sierra Nevada)
IPA (Bell's Two Hearted)
Brown (Big Sky Moose Drool)
Porter (Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald)
Stout (Guinness Foreign Extra ???)
???

Here are the rules:
-Should be "craft" beer but something I have around here.
-I'd like to have each style made by a different brewery.
-Each beer should be a good example of the style and not have something like blueberries or ginger in it.
-I have to like it. :D
-It has to come in a 12 oz bottle or can.

I'm having a tough time with the last category. For the last category, I was thinking Red but all I could come up with is Founders Red's Rye (which is awesome but half the brews would be pretty hoppy). Any ideas for a maltier red beer or a different category all together?

As for the stout, it seems like a cop-out to use Guinness (but the FES is really good). I love Sierra Nevada Stout and Great Lakes Black Out Stout, but I've used both of those breweries. Hmmm...

What would your list look like?

Thanks!

Sorry,you're def wrong. Read the label,it says "ale". Seems to me I read about that on the germenbeerinstitute.com as well. I've drunk a lot of it. Most doppel bocks are lagers now,except for the original,the Salvator.
**PS-well,this weird. I know I've seen the word "ale" on the label. But the story at germanbeerinstitute.com refers to it being "lagered" in their cellars after a commercial guy bought it outright after Napolean shut the monks down. Darn it,now I have to go out & buy some. I never saved any of the labels from all those bottles of Salvator we drank. Idk,maybe they just made it ahead of time & put it in cold storage so it wouldn't degrade as fast till Lent???

From the Paulaner website.

"Salvator This is the original Paulaner, the founding beer of Paulaner. The Salvator double bock is a bottom-fermented beer and has been brewed in almost exactly the same way since the end of the 18th century. It combines the most delicate of hops and dark barley malt to give a strong, characteristically malty taste and an inviting, gleaming copper colour."
Paulaner International

Dang,I was sure I always saw ale on the label somewhere. I'll have to wait till I can get aride to the store & look again. Or maybe I'm just a littlr dislectic?...

unionrdr said:
Dang,I was sure I always saw ale on the label somewhere. I'll have to wait till I can get aride to the store & look again. Or maybe I'm just a littlr dislectic?...

I can't see your location since I'm on the HBT app but are you in Texas? Because they're kinda 'tards when it comes to alcohol law. "Ale" and "beer" have to do with ABV% there

No,I'm in Ohio. I haven't had a salvator in a while,& was positive I remembered that right. Wanna get some more if I can get a ride. Damn body shop keeps makin excuse,so no car yet. It's got nothing to do with stupidity,I just haven't had it in a while,didn't save any of the labels,& can't get around much. I need my car back...

There was an interesting thread started yesterday that some guy for a school project did a paper on the history and convoluted nature of Texas alcohol laws. I'd love to read the paper.

If you're going for a good stout, Founders Breakfast stout is phenomenal, but I also like Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

You really shouldn't count out a wheat beer, unless you already know they don't like them. There's a lot of good choices out there (Oberon is one of my favorites, but they're out of season).

I've actually found that non-craft drinkers do tend to like Tripels, because they are a bit sweeter... I'm actually surprised you want to go with Two Hearted... I tend to find that IPAs are less appealing to the BMC drinkers due to the hops.

Besides Steam, Anchor's Porter is an excellent beer with restrained flavor that is present but not too up front like Guiness.

Bell's Pale Ale, more of a blond ale, is a great beer.

No,I'm in Ohio. I haven't had a salvator in a while,& was positive I remembered that right. It's got nothing to do with stupidity,I just haven't had it in a while,didn't save any of the labels,& can't get around much. I need my car back...
Dang,I was sure I always saw ale on the label somewhere.

Go to post # 55

I picked up a couple Grolsch flip top bottles at the liquor store the other day and it had ALE in Texas written on it. Probably just a way to label them for the entire market to comply with some states ridiculous labeling laws.

Back