My $100 craigslist fermentation setup: 10 gallon batches under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup... I used to ferment in glass carboys, but that was short lived. I sold them all and started fermenting in kegs. Now I ferment in 10 gallon ball lock corny kegs using a spunding valve.

I own 7 of them as well as the 13 gallon keg:

View attachment 220066

The problem is my old fermentation chamber made from a wine fridge would only fit a 6.5 gal carboy. It wouldn't handle the 10 gal kegs, and I've since then upgraded to a 25 gallon system, but mainly brew 10 gallon batches.

I'd normally ferment in a closet during the cold seasons, so I only had to deal with a temp controller connected to a heater to maintain temp.

I'm planning on building a temp controlled room in my basement eventually. It will be good for ales and will house all my fermenters. But this fridge is awesome for 10 gal batches and lagering.

What a trip. I guess we learn something everyday. Never even heard of a Spunding valve. Thanks dude!

Back