Looking for a homebrewer with a dream...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayp

Reaction score
To the homebrewer who's always had the dream of one day of brewing their own world class beer for commercial consumption but never acted on it, well today is the day that you change that.

I am currently working for a beer company (name witheld for legal purposes) with extensive beverage operation/sales/marketing experience and have been developing a business plan for a brewpub. I have previously worked in a brewpub as a brewer's asst yet lack the experience of a vetted (home) brewer in regards to brewing advanced recipes and their techniques.

My three requirements are :
1.) Have an extensive understanding of brewing (thats a given) along with multiple brewing recipes (both ales and lagers)
2.) Have the ability and understanding of using a 10 bbl brewing system
3.) Live in the North NJ/NYC area

This is a plus:
4.) Have taken advanced brewing classes or, better, have a degree in brewing

If interested, please reply to this thread or to the below address to discuss more in detail:

Cheers!

Jay

Sounds like great opportunity for someone. Though I don't quite meet all the criteria, If I lived closer, I'd give it a whack.

Sounds like a great opportunity! What homebrewer hasn't dreamed of this at least once?

I'd do it in a second, if I could keep my income the same, stay in Montana, have enough time off to ski, have someone else do the cleaning, never have to deal with the books or marketing, always have free beer for friends, name the beers after my own private jokes, brew from home....;)

Bobby ?

I learned a lot from his youtube vids.

Mods: please delete if inappropriate to "call out" an experienced brewer in the area.

I actually posted my email for those interested to get in touch with me but it seems that it was edited out.

Enjoyed the Nigeria comment but this isn't a piece of spam... Also, who is Bobby?

Cheers,
Jay

I actually posted my email for those interested to get in touch with me but it seems that it was edited out.

For those interested, my email is ....................

Enjoyed the Nigeria comment but this isn't a piece of spam... Also, who is Bobby?

Cheers,
Jay

If you look at the bottom of your first post, you'll see who and why your e-mail is removed. They are doing it to protect you as well.

I posted it here.

Last edited by YooperBrew : Yesterday at 02:01 PM. Reason: Twice I've removed the email- PM through the site to discuss, or on the thread. Please don't ignore my edit again.

As much as I would love for someone here to get an opportunity, I have to ask. Why not get a professional brewer? I gotta figure someone would like a fresh start somewhere.

As much as I would love for someone here to get an opportunity, I have to ask. Why not get a professional brewer? I gotta figure someone would like a fresh start somewhere.

Thanks, dude. Thanks for crushing my tender young hopes and dreams. I will think of you as I watch my ship of opportunity sail off towards the horizon.

Just out of curiosity, Jayp... What town are you looking at? If you don't mind me asking.

To answer the question "why this site", b/c there are brewers that homebrew and use this site but I was trying to gauge how receptive some homebrewers were to the idea as alot of craft/micros started out with a homebrewer leading the way.

Answer to the second question of "where" is I rather not tell just b/c 1.) its confidential and 2.) its not a done deal yet. I'll let you know when it opens and gladly toast a beer with you!

Cheers,
Jay

If the email was removed twice then don't you get the hint. The mods don't want it there. If you cant follow simple instructions how is this business going to get off the ground.

"I applied for a license, twice they said no, So Ill just sell it anyway."

The email was removed to protect everyone- first of all our members, who could email and end up on a mega spam list. I'm not pointing a finger at you- but this is common and so we ask that you take it via PM. You can certainly exchange email addresses then, if you'd like.

I'm not sure people are super eager to give out their personal email addresses to a recruiter who won't even tell them what state/country the potential job would be in, but they may want to respond via private messages.

Feel free to keep discussing- we're not here to stop that at all!

Well... allrighty then. Good luck with your stealth brewpub.

Maybe it's a ninja brewpub...:D

KiwiNinjaBeer.JPG

Sorry OP, (jay or whatever your name is) but every now and then we get someone in here with some pie in the sky idea, or looking for something FROM us, like a recipe or something right off the bat, in their very first post...Without first giving anything to the community.

We even had some guy on here a few weeks back who wanted us to give him a recipe so his wife could win an award....someone else asking us what kind of brewing tool we "need" so he could patent it and invent it...not knowing a damn thing about brewing...another one wanted to design brewing software, and wanted us to help him...not even being aware of all the brewing software already out there, some of it created by our very own members.

It really has sort of an "I don't really care about you and what you have going on here, I just want to take advantage of you," feeling

Especially with all the secrecy around your "double secret" brewpub....If you had come on here saying you had a brew pub, here's the website, yadda yadda yadda and we'd like to have a contest or would like to help a home brewer live his dream, that would be different.

Especially if you spent some time around here participating and being a part of the culture BEFORE HAND (like some of the vendors on here, they don't just try to sell to us, they actually give back to the group with help, wisdom, insight, and advice...not just trying to take our money.)

But coming in on your very first post with this secret "we'll fulfill your dreams" crap...That's bad forum behavior all around.

So excuse us if we're a little suspicious...most of us weren't born yesterday.

Got it... Thank you for the explanation... Also, this is the first time I've been on some kind internet forum so I lack a little couth in those terms and apologies for sounding stand-offish. Also, the reason I maybe a little defensive, as with any business in development, is the intellectual property/thought. Would you give out specific details of a special homebrew on an internet forum to someone you've never met face to face? Likewise w/ a business plan and its strategy.

In regards to the location I have no problem disclosing the area, just not the exact town/city, as it is named in the initial post (North NJ/NYC area) and will be about an hour from Bridgewater...

Also, the reason I maybe a little defensive, as with any business in development, is the intellectual property/thought. Would you give out specific details of a special homebrew on an internet forum to someone you've never met face to face? Likewise w/ a business plan and its strategy.

In regards to the location I have no problem disclosing the area, just not the exact town/city, as it is named in the initial post (North NJ/NYC area) and will be about an hour from Bridgewater...

The idea of a brewpub is not intellectual property, nor is an intended site or location. I'm sure there are a "few" brew pubs in that "area". What you are essentially looking for is someone to give you THEIR intellectual property. On top of that, there are other forums that are much more appropriate for what you are looking for. Also, if this brew pub is for a brewery that is already in business, why would you come to a homebrew site to try and get people that could possibly be out of their league. I'm not trying to say anything against anyone here. Most of you guys are light years ahead of me.

If you spent more than 5 minutes here, you'd have already realized that the whole point of this website is sharing your recipes, ideas, gadgets, and life outside of brewing. Thats why people actually PAY to support a place such as homebrewtalk.com.

Not sure where you derived your business plan from, but good luck with that... :mad:

EDIT: Actually, I was born yesterday...

Double Edit: First rule of JayP's Brewpub: Don't talk about JayP's brewpub...

To the homebrewer who's always had the dream of one day of brewing their own world class beer for commercial consumption but never acted on it, well today is the day that you change that.

I am currently working for a beer company (name witheld for legal purposes) with extensive beverage operation/sales/marketing experience and have been developing a business plan for a brewpub. I have previously worked in a brewpub as a brewer's asst yet lack the experience of a vetted (home) brewer in regards to brewing advanced recipes and their techniques.

My three requirements are :
1.) Have an extensive understanding of brewing (thats a given) along with multiple brewing recipes (both ales and lagers)
2.) Have the ability and understanding of using a 10 bbl brewing system
3.) Live in the North NJ/NYC area

This is a plus:
4.) Have taken advanced brewing classes or, better, have a degree in brewing

If interested, please reply to this thread or to the below address to discuss more in detail:

Cheers!

Jay

I like to drink beer does that count...?

Jayp...you are acting like a sketchy teenage kid whose about to by weed. Whey can't you tell us the location? I don't see the problem. Go to the american brewers guild website and post a job offering there...you will get professional brewers who have been to brew school and have taken internships. You come across as a guy who wants our member's award winning recipes and work just to use us and take something that is ours and make money off of it.

Jayp...you are acting like a sketchy teenage kid whose about to by weed. Whey can't you tell us the location? I don't see the problem. Go to the american brewers guild website and post a job offering there...you will get professional brewers who have been to brew school and have taken internships. You come across as a guy who wants our member's award winning recipes and work just to use us and take something that is ours and make money off of it.

Minus a few grammatical errors, I couldn't agree more...

Jay P "You got the stuff"
HBT Member "Ya its right here"
Jay P "Okay how do you want to give me your recipes"
HBT Member "Should I email them?"
Jay P "What does 2 row mean? I thought this was a beer recipe"
HBT Member "Rly??"
Jay P " Ya Rly when do I add the Bud Light to the boil?"

Well first of all jay I understand your want to keep your business plan a bit hush. But non of us here are gonna steal you idea. I dont think many potential entrepreneurs comb forums looking for people who have an idea like this and try to beat them to it. That being said I do understand your desire to keep detail like exact location, target market, and what will make your place stand out secret. Thats just being smart. But as great of a place that this site is...this probably isnt the best place to look for a brewer for your pub. Now many here have no desire at all to go pro ever because brewing is strictly a hobby, there are also many of us that think going pro would be a dream come true. I am aware of the extend of my brewing knowledge. I know alot... but there is sooooo much I dont know. There are factors that come into play with large scale operations that are not issues for homebrewers on a small scale. If given the equipment and some time and planning do I think I could manage a good batch on a large scale? Yes I do. But consistency is very important when going commercial. Your first batch might be awesome and you might get alot of fans, but if you cant repeat that brew so it tastes the same every time it means nothing. If your not a brewer and your looking for a head brewer you need a pro with experience in the industy. Its like going to a woodworking forum and saying, "Im thinking about starting a home building business. Any takers?" Yes your asking people who have the knowledge in that industry. Many of them probably could build a beautiful and solid home time after time But you dont know this and wouldnt know until it was too late. If you were a brewer and you felt pretty confident but you were looking for a knowledgeable helping hand...that makes more sense for this forum. Obviously your asking someone to leave their job, life, etc and thats a big thing to ask and this was probably a known long shot. But if your not a brewer an amateur is not he man for the job.
EDIT:probably my longest post.:tank:(and thats where I stand on that:D)

Bobby ?

I learned a lot from his youtube vids.

Mods: please delete if inappropriate to "call out" an experienced brewer in the area.

Two problems:
I'm barely pulling a 50% success rate on beers I'd consider great.
My salary requirement is 3x whatever this guy is planning on paying.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

Gotta love that respect, Bobby...

i think the big problem is that most of us have jobs that would compare salary wise to being a brewer, and many of us probably make more. If you can afford to do something like homebrewing and love every session, then why trade that in to make less money?

Granted, I'm trying to get my mech. program to accept an 11 week course at Seibel...

hate to say it .. but you couldn't afford me.
Yeah I brew.
I also cook, manage, staff and promote a restaurant full time.
that's what I do now.
If you can show me the $$$.. I'll be on a plane.

I can also manage your advertising, buy your local and national media and produce commercials at CLIO award level. Okay maybe just Emmy, as that is all I have been nominated for... and won. You get the picture.

You want a killer Voice and programming guy to program your in-house robo-jukebox.. I can do that.

If you wanted, I could set up a certified Apple notebook, desktop and Help desk facility on site. You would also have a certified Sony and Grass valley Tech on staff as well.

One phone call and the director of High-Definition Technology at Comcast Cable would be there tending your bar. He cost more than me tho, as he has kids and a shrew of a wife to keep in Oprah endorsed books and almost fashionable clothing.

Here's the thing.
It's easy to wave big dreams in front of people.
If you are serious, then I wish you luck.
If you are not....

hate to say it .. but you couldn't afford me.
Yeah I brew.
I also cook, manage, staff and promote a restaurant full time.
that's what I do now.
If you can show me the $$$.. I'll be on a plane.

I can also manage your advertising, buy your local and national media and produce commercials at CLIO award level. Okay maybe just Emmy, as that is all I have been nominated for... and won. You get the picture.

You want a killer Voice and programming guy to program your in-house robo-jukebox.. I can do that.

If you wanted, I could set up a certified Apple notebook, desktop and Help desk facility on site. You would also have a certified Sony and Grass valley Tech on staff as well.

One phone call and the director of High-Definition Technology at Comcast Cable would be there tending your bar. He cost more than me tho, as he has kids and a shrew of a wife to keep in Oprah endorsed books and almost fashionable clothing.

Here's the thing.
It's easy to wave big dreams in front of people.
If you are serious, then I wish you luck.
If you are not....

LOL... Okay, you win...

LOL. It's not about winning my NoClueBrotha.
If I had a dollar for every person that said 'You should open a brewpub'.. I'd have like 30 dollars and change.

now, if one of them threw money at me and said have at it... well...
that's another story.

Well, that's with the obligatory cut in pay for doing something I'd enjoy more. If the job sucked as bad as mine, I'd ask for much more due to the lessened job security. I've been at this company for 13 years. Wow, that is really weird to see in print.

LOL. It's not about winning my NoClueBrotha.
If I had a dollar for every person that said 'You should open a brewpub'.. I'd have like 30 dollars and change.

now, if one of them threw money at me and said have at it... well...
that's another story.

I agree with ya man. I love doing this for the enjoyment of being around good friends and having a wonderful hobby that we all enjoy.

Ive always said outside my daily job in the ER there are 3 things I love...
1)Beer
2)Fishing
3)Baseball

I will never work in a field of any of those 3 things because I dont want any of them to be my job one day.

Back