I ruined the best beer I made - WITH PICS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
First - I made the HOPNOG from Brewer's Best. On top of the recipe in the link, I added even more citra hops.

It was a thing of beauty through fermentation and two rounds of dry hopping.

Then, for less than $0.30, I ruined it.

I racked this to a second secondary, after the last hopping, and added geletine, line I have done all previous beers, and one I also brewed and bottled on the same schedule. But when I heated the water for this ones gelatin, I got it too hot - and when I added the gelatin it " clumped". i should have tossed it then and there, and made another. I simply stirred the piss out of it, and thought I had "fixed" the gelatin. I have to have been wrong - EVERY bottle formed a "glob" of yeast flavored jelly.

I feel like such a dumb ass. I publicly post these to hopefully prevent someone else from making the same mistake. And f by chance you think this is an infection, and I'm beating myself up too much, I'd love to hear your opinion.

( Oh, and yes, I did carefully pour off some of the jelly and drink one - hands down the best beer I have made yet. Damm. )

Anyway, here's the photos...

IMG00322-20101118-2130.jpg

IMG00323-20101118-2131.jpg

Can you at least pull out the blob and drink the rest of the beer? I sure hope the whole batch isn't ruined.

Just don't drink the glob. I wouldn't serve it to guests, but I would drink the crap out of it behind closed doors if the taste was right.

It might be a hassle but, you could just strain the bottles through paper coffee filters into your glass... :)

Either that or play around with trying to 'cold crash' individual bottles with your freezer.

I definitely wouldn't dump it...

can you just put it through a strainer as you poor into another bottle with sugar in it? i have no idea just throwing that out there.

A weird looking beer that tastes good beats a fine looking beer that doesn't. Maybe the gelatin glob could be removed with turkey baster before pouring?

Tough lesson learned but I also would drink around it. This batch...don't give out or share with non homebrewing friends, no need to scare off anyone ;).

:mug:

wont those get skunked pretty quickly in clear bottles?

I bottle 4 clears with each set to monitor for clarity and to watch the yest cake formation in the bottom. They get kept in a closed box, in an unlit closet. Then I save 1 , and the other 3 are the first ones I open to check for carb / taste..

I bottle 4 clears with each set to monitor for clarity and to watch the yest cake formation in the bottom. They get kept in a closed box, in an unlit closet. Then I save 1 , and the other 3 are the first ones I open to check for carb / taste..

i have though about doing this but i never did i might haft to give it a try. now i just have to find sombody willing to drink the cronas for me

Screw straning it out. Just drink it down and pretend it's a raw oyster. Or you just swallowed some serious phlegm. It's not ruined you just made a lame boo boo. Don't worry drink it down, hell now you have vit b rich hoppy jello. Just gave me an idea to make jello with unfermented wort....maybe I'll try it on my next batch.

I do this too, but I usually only bottle 1 or 2. It is the best way to monitor clarity. and if you keep them in a box/fridge, no skunking.

Maybe it will sink with time? Either way I'd pour it through a tea strainer or something when serving and enjoy :mug:

Am I the only one who finds clarifying agent totally unnecessary? If you are fermenting for a month, your beer should be plenty clear. KISS

Stick a few in the fridge for 3 or 4 days then in the freezer for 20 minutes before you pour. That might settle it on the bottom, but you'll have to be more careful than usual when pouring obviously.

Am I the only one who finds clarifying agent totally unnecessary? If you are fermenting for a month, your beer should be plenty clear. KISS

It depends on the yeast and the amount of trub and a billion other factors, but yeah, the beer should be clear after 4 weeks in primary and careful racking. I use gelatin for those "other" times.

Back