Gose wont stop attenuating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So way back on March 2nd I brewed a Gose. A few days before, I made a lacto started with 2-row and 100 degree water. I pitched only that lacto starter (grains and all) and kept temps around 90 for the first two days, then dropped temps to 70 and pitched 1056. I continue to take gravity readings ever couple weeks, and every time I do it has dropped a few points. Its now been 2 and a half months and its down to 1.000 as of today.

My question is, has anybody experienced this using a homemade lacto starter? IS the fact that I pitched the grains in the fermentor the reason its still dropping? I have been thinking about bottling soon as I cant see it dropping much more. Would I be ok to barely prime it, in hopes that it does continue to ferment a little and helps carb? Any recommendations on this would be very helpful as I really want to bottle this ASAP.

Lacto like other bacteria will consume everything in the beer which is why you are seeing the attenuation that you are. You may drop a few points still, but I imagine there isn't much left there for the lacto to consume. To avoid this in the future you can sour mash until you reach your desired level of sourness, do a short boil to add your hops and kill off the lacto, then pitch your normal yeast to get a "normal" sacc fermentation. Hope this helps!

Lacto like other bacteria will consume everything in the beer which is why you are seeing the attenuation that you are. You may drop a few points still, but I imagine there isn't much left there for the lacto to consume. To avoid this in the future you can sour mash until you reach your desired level of sourness, do a short boil to add your hops and kill off the lacto, then pitch your normal yeast to get a "normal" sacc fermentation. Hope this helps!

It certainly does! I guess I will just wait it out.

Keep in mind that your ABV will be off if you do a boil, as the alcohol produced by the lacto will boil off.

Back