Do you Poo near your Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the shower stall in my spare bathroom to store bubbling carboys, and as luck would have it the master bath was in use and it was TIME TO GO..... I charge in there with my carboy inspection flashlight in hand and do my business in the dark. As I sat I was pondering whether it was uncouth to do so. Nonetheless, it was a necessary action but I wondered if I have committed a cardinal sin. So now I ask, do you poo near your brew? :drunk:

I'm fortunate enough to have a thermally stable basement to ferment and condition in. :ban:

There is a toilet down here though....

I guess as long as you haven't had to much chili it should be OK ;)

Ha! Actually cooking deer chili now.... I usually let the initial fermentation finish in the shower stall in case it decides to explode. They later move to a spare bedroom.

I set my carboys on upside down buckets in the guest bath next to the tub.. Which is where I do my business every morning.. I set another bucket in the tub, with star san in it, and the blow off tubes terminate there..

So, not only do I poo near my brew, I also sit there and read about brew.. Currently working my way through "designing great beer"....

Just don't poo 'in' your brew!
That would be wrong...
:mug:

And yes, I take the flashlight in there with me too to watch the action...

The only temp stable place I've got is my basement bathroom... Its a small sink n throne with a large empty space to the side of the crapper, so I keep at least 2 buckets and a carboy going there pretty much all the time. no to mention all of my back issues of brewing mags and books. Good thing it's attached to the man cave, if SWMBO saw what was going on down there she would $#@! herself :)

I have a small NYC apartment....my ghetto stir plate is located directly next to my pooper. I sometimes wonder if it gets hit with a little spritz now and then. They say when you flush the toilet that doo doo particles go flying through the air. Haha!!

as the hipsters would text on their overpriced fancy phones...

tmi ("to much information" for us normal folks...)
Maybe hipsters in buffalo.

Down in the real NY (and elsewhere where there aren't buffalo betties), TMI is old hat and left for people who haven't figured out SMH.

My equipment is stored in the tub in my deuce room downstairs. In the summer, I ferment in there, but in the winter, I have better locations in the basement. Either way, that's where I clean and sanitize equipment.

The only time anything beer related occurs in my bathroom is when: a.) I am cleaning kegs or buckets, b.) I am sanitizing stuff (ironic, I know) or c.) I drink too much

I'm lucky enough to have a full-fledged beer closet in my apartment devoted to the fermenters and kegerator.

I saw an episode of mythbusters where they measured the amount of feces on toothbrushes. They had a control bathroom with 2 toothbrushes, and a bathroom where they did their "business" also with 2 toothbrushes. The bathroom they used definitely had feces particles on the toothbrushes, but also the unused bathroom had some not as many feces particles on the toothbrushes!! Just an FYI for you #2 fermentors.

I'm curious, do you guys keep any other food(s) in the bathroom? Canned goods? Flour and other baking supplies? Cookies? Soda?

No but if I did any other cooking in my basement, I likely would. It's the only room down there with running water and a large basin.

I saw an episode of mythbusters where they measured the amount of feces on toothbrushes. They had a control bathroom with 2 toothbrushes, and a bathroom where they did their "business" also with 2 toothbrushes. The bathroom they used definitely had feces particles on the toothbrushes, but also the unused bathroom had some not as many feces particles on the toothbrushes!! Just an FYI for you #2 fermentors.

Time for a new toothbrush.:ban:

Nope. I'm fortunate enough to have a second full kitchen in my basement, which is now dedicated to brewing.

As an aside, you probably don't need a flashlight. Turning the light on for 15 minutes isn't going to hurt the beer.

This should say it all....

IMAG0041.jpg

Funny you should mention it. I put my swamp cooler for my first couple brews in the master bath as it is the coolest room in the house and held low temps pretty well all day. I take that back, my wife's closet was the most temp stable, coolest place, but that was a nonstarter :p My wife has since decided that even though I think there is plenty of room for it in the bathroom, that there isn't, so it's been moved to the guest bedroom. It requires more ice and TLC now, so I wish I could move it back!

Back in college with little experience brewing but lots of knowledge from "The Complete Joy" we were on our third batch. It was 1995 and had drawn quite a crowd to the dorm room because the first couple batches had come off quite well and we were freshman and were sick of begging upper-classmen to buy for us. So, as the night went on and batch one and two were consumed the boil was coming to a close. My roomate suddenly remembered the snippet from the book where papa Charlie mentioned baby poo being used to ferment. Well........baby poo ain't college freshman poo but it worked!! I never saw another attendee to that party back again but damn was that a unique brew. I've never been able to bring myself to try to replicate it but it CAN be done.

I too use the bathroom in my master to ferment the beer because it is the coolest and darkest spot in the house. Works like a charm. However, I only pee in that bathroom, poo is done in the guest bathroom down the hall. Glad I'm not the only one who wonders about this.

So, not only do I poo near my brew, I also sit there and read about brew.. Currently working my way through "designing great beer"...

thats exactly where I worked through that book... great read. Watch out for rhoids though.. its pretty interesting and you might find yourself in there a bit longer than you originally needed. ("honey, what are you doing in there?":eek:)

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer throws a dinner party. Guests start raving about how good the meal is. . .Kramer launches into explaining his new thing is prepping the whole meal while he's bathing/showering. . .mmmmmm.

Possibly best thread jack every. +9000 points.

I don't know if anybody has posted this, but in mythbusters they proved that even if you keep your toothbrush as far away as possible, (inside your own house that is), poo particles will still make their way onto your toothbrush. So I say poo away next to your brew, because if its in your house you brush your teeth with it.

Back