Brewmasters warehouse can't ship within Georgia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Ed! I have now told my wife that she can get orders to Georgia if need be... Until then, I'll still remain an online shopper - and thanks for the talk through on how to add PBW (and Star San it turns out) to my order today!

I happen to be enjoying a pint of Arrogant Bastard at the moment, so

<cheers>
99e753a7.jpg

here's to Ed and BMW!

Thank you everyone. I am excited like you can not imagine. I am very excited for all of the people that call and email me everyday asking about buying stuff from the store.

Congratulations, that is good for everyone! Now on to some business...it had to my signature yesterday that put you over the top. I should probably get 10lbs of 2-row per month free for life:drunk:

Congratulations Ed. If I didn't work part time at my LHBS and get to buy everything I want at cost (employee perk) I'd order something from you right now. Next time I need something that my wholesales don't have I'll think of you first.

This stuff exists; some people just have to deal with it. Is it "fair?" Well, obviously, not, certainly not in the sense of free markets. But this stuff has been around for a long time. Trust me, here in IL we know all about distributors, beer distribution being one of the most notorious. Bells' pulled out of IL for a couple of years because they refused to agree to their distributor's dictates. They're back now, so I dunno what happened.

To show just how convoluted, inefficient & contrary to good sense this can get, we have a local bar that is very highly rated (http://www.blindpigco.com/), our favorite place 26 taps, about 150 bottles. So the owner decides to open a brewpub one short block West on the next street. (As a matter of fact, they're having their rollout next Tuesday, after a long dry spell for local beer). The only way he can get his brewpub beer the one block to his original bar (which would take 5 minutes on a dolly) is to turn it over to a local distributor, who, after picking it up at the brewpub, must then deliver it to the bar. This is how things that seem reasonable and have good intentions become crazy.

Another example is our car dealer, which was thriving several years ago as a Chevy - Olds - SAAB dealer. GM then 86'ed Oldsmobile.....but dealer couldn't add another GM line, because they're close enough to Peoria that so many dealer's territories overlap. So- no Pontiac, no Buick, no Cadillac. Pontiac is gone, of course, but now that GM has sold SAAB, it appears that they will have to move that line to another location, making the dealership Chevy-only. While I admit that there are probably a number of dealers who do business selling only Chevrolet, that doesn't alter the fact that the owner is seriously limited in his business decisions by these kinds of agreements. Add another manufacturer's line? Maybe, but if he tried to do that, in the current economic climate, GM might drop him like a hot potato. As it is, the dealership is still going, GM has included them in their current roster, but this is an example of the "dark side" of protected distribution.

sweet!!! now i don't have to buy online all the time!!! more spur of the moment brewing soon to come!!!

Way to go Ed, see you soon in teh store i'm sure

I just read this on the BW website this morning and had to come over to HBT to confirm that I hadn't missed this. Congrats Ed! And congrats to all you GA brewers that can now experience the gret service BrewmastersWarehouse.com has to offer!!! Cheers!

Free market.

The new store is going to ensure fair prices are set.
If two businesses want to open up next to each other selling one wholesalers goods then so be it.
If the wholesaler was to restricting the sale of goods to one of the businesses or increased the cost of the goods to disadvantage them then that is anti competitive.

If something like that is happening then I'd say there's room to start up as an wholesaler.

There are franchise laws in the UK that allow that to happen but that is not the same as above.
The above situation disadvantages the customer because a monopoly is set up and competition not allowed.

If there are not enough customers then it's probably not a good Idea to set up unless you intend to shut the other store down or take the majority of the customers. If there are the customer base then both stores can survive and the competition keeps up the support levels ad the prices down.

Orfy, UK distributors do the exact same thing. Young's Brewing for example deals with its retailers in the same way; in fact its part of the reason for the dearth of good access to hombrewing supplies here in Ireland. We have one good online shop and then a few others whose supply lines are so restricted by noncompete agreements that they're not worth shopping with and it doesn't force the good guy to get better. Also, there's nothing in the law that says a distributor can't just stop selling to a retailer to protect another one, its simply a business decision and is the same principle as signing an exclusive agreement. Supply chains are protected everywhere in practice, although its true that in the US they seem to be more protected from a legal standpoint. The EU allows you to circumvent supply agreements by going through a different member state, but in practice the shipping costs make it prohibitive.

That's fantastic!! Wishing you the best with the business! I'm sure you're going to have a great weekend!!!

Back