BMC Sales Dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that article is positing that the drinkers are shifting from those "heavier" (lol) ones in favor of those beers under 140 calories....They don't say anything about the leap to craft beers....which if the article's 'logic" were true, than there wouldn't be any leap to the craft beer industry....

Historically it's been about a 10% loss to the craft beer industry. So if it's a 30% loss in that article, 20% of Bud drinkers are going to Bud Light or one of those 64 calorie beers.

"Some of America’s most famous beers have lost a tremendous amount of their national sales over the last five years.

Mostly, they are full-calorie beers, and they have lost sales to lower-calorie products, as well as imports and craft beers."

At least they made mention to craft beers.

Hahahahahahahaha. The title of the article is "The Eight Beers Americans No Longer Drink" and the first one listed is Budweiser, which sold 18,000,000 barrels in 2010. Apparently, someone is drinking Bud ;)

Hahahahahahahaha. The title of the article is "The Eight Beers Americans No Longer Drink" and the first one listed is Budweiser, which sold 18,000,000 barrels in 2010. Apparently, someone is drinking Bud ;)

I think they are buying it and dumping in protest. ;)

I asked Mr. Google, who told me Budweiser is the second best selling beer in America. It may have lost drinkers, but more Americans drink Bud than any other beer except for Bud Light. That headline is just ridiculous.

I don't really care either way. I kinda like that craft beers are a niche market, but they're still popular enough that I can go to my favorite watering hole and order from a good 12 craft beers on tap, I can go to my monthly homebrew club that has over 100 members, I have at least two LHBS within a 30 minute drive, I can go on the internet and listen to a good deal of homebrew podcasts and I can converse with the 70+ regular people on here.

The time we are living in right now is a craft beer renaissance. No finer beers have ever been made in the history of mankind as they are being made today, and they just keep getting better. Cheers!

I don't really care either way. I kinda like that craft beers are a niche market, but they're still popular enough that I can go to my favorite watering hole and order from a good 12 craft beers on tap...

The time we are living in right now is a craft beer renaissance. No finer beers have ever been made in the history of mankind as they are being made today, and they just keep getting better. Cheers!

I agree 110%. Now even Kroger's and Meijer's has typically MORE craft beers than BMCs on the shelves...And even chains now have at least 1 beer that isn't BMC on tap, it may be a Sam Adam's seasonal, but more often than not these days it's a local craft beer (in my case it seems to be a Bell's product.)

There's plenty of beer for everyone.

yup... the beer aisle at every local market here is dominated by non BMC.

Same here. I just wish Tennessee would revamp their archaic liquor laws so I could get Dale's Pale Ale at the grocery store...

I agree 110%. Now even Kroger's and Meijer's has typically MORE craft beers than BMCs on the shelves...And even chains now have at least 1 beer that isn't BMC on tap, it may be a Sam Adam's seasonal, but more often than not these days it's a local craft beer (in my case it seems to be a Bell's product.)

There's plenty of beer for everyone.

Around here, local restaurants usually have some kind of Sam Adams, some kind of Boulevard (probably wheat), and usually Blue Moon.

Fat Tire shows up on tap a lot, too. More adventurous places will have FT and 1554.

Since the BMC breweries are producing the low calorie beers, it's not like people aren't drinking their beers. They are selling cheaper beer for the same price. That's just more profit to them.

I definitely notice more beer variety showing up in grocery stores, bars, etc. I think what is even more telling is how many college-age people I see drinking craft beer, at least some times. That's the target demographic for the big breweries.

I just wish there would be more craft beer at sporting events. Caps games have 1 craft beer cart per level, compared with BMC every two steps and being hawked by wandering vendors. Even Hershey Bears games, with tons of awesome local brews in a 10 mile radius seem to be 95% BMC.

Latest posts

Back