Whole Hop Absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source or can say from experience about how much beer you'll lose to each 1oz. of hops added to the secondary for dry hopping? I can't seem to find anything in a search.

4 oz whole hops absorbed 48 oz wort when I measured this a few months ago.

I weighed the kettle after racking to fermenter on the kitchen scales (accurate to within two ounces), I then cleaned the kettle, and drained some water with the kettle tilted to the same angle as it was when I racked, and re-weighed.
The clean kettle weighed 52 ounces less, but I had added 4 ounces of hops during the boil.

-a.

P.S. That was originally posted in November 06. That was the figure that I got, but your equipment and techniques are probably probably different. You may get a different result (as does David_42)

I just bottled an IPA and used 1 oz. whole Cascade in the 2ndary... it seems they absorbed about 12 - 16 oz. I guess each experience will be a little different.

Toot said:
You people actually worry about this kind of stuff??!!!! :drunk:

Yeah, I know it may seem silly, but here's why.

In a batch of Irish-American Red I dry hopped the **** out of it and also lost a little more than I had planned while racking. I added the amount of corn sugar for 5.0 gallons, but between the hop absorption and racking losses, I had~4.0 gallons for bottling. Ended up with a batch of overcarbed bottles, not to the point of being undrinkable, but too much to the point the foam up when opened and way to fizzy, I have to let the sit before drinking.

Now I could just cut priming sugar in the future, but I'd rather plan to make the batch volume larger so I still bottle 5.0 gallons and get my 2 cases in stead of 1 1/2 cases or something close to that!

Worry? No. But it sure helps to know at what point to stop the boil, and still end up with the full 5.25g in the primary. If I end up with too much in the primary, then I have to throw some away when I rack to secondary. That would worry me. :(
If I end up with too little in the primary, I can't drink as many pints. That would also worry me. :(
Besides, this question comes up once every few months, and having made the measurement once, I can answer truthfully, and possibly help out somebody else. :rockin:

-a.

Back