Stinky Sulfur Smell in Lagers how to get rid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
I have been fermenting my lagers at around 154 degrees or so. I have been told to slowly bring the lagers up to room temp before keggin to get some of the sulfur smell (I dontknow if its sulfur, smells like it though) out of the brew. Well I did that on my vienna lager, and its still there. Whats next? I got a czech pils waiting to come out of the primary. I was going to secondary it in the keg.

You mean while its fermenting? there is a filter you can make so the room does not smell like rhino farts. As far as the beer itself that is part of what lagering does. that is why after 2-4 weeks of fermentation you should lager for 2-6 weeks at 33-40 degrees helps to clarify the beer and removes some(in most cases all) of the remaining sulfer odor

I have been fermenting my lagers at around 154 degrees or so. I have been told to slowly bring the lagers up to room temp before keggin to get some of the sulfur smell (I dontknow if its sulfur, smells like it though) out of the brew.

You were told wrong. SO4 production is a normal part of lager yeast fermentation. Some produce more than others. The way to eliminate it is to give the beer enough time in fermentation and lagering. I would bet you are not letting the beer ferment, lager and condition long enough.

Well I did that on my vienna lager, and its still there. Whats next? I got a czech pils waiting to come out of the primary. I was going to secondary it in the keg.

I would suggest you secondary and lager in a separate vessel then keg the beer when it is ready.

You get rid of the sulphur in lagers by lagering it. In the cold, for weeks to months. The whole point of the lagering process is to remove it.

You know how we say that "the yeast like to go back and clean up after itself?" That's exactly what is happening during the lagering phase.

Here's what palmer has to say..It's kind of over simplified, if you want more info look for stuff written by Noonan, including his book on lager brewing.

Palmer said:
Lager yeast produce less fruity esters than ale yeasts but can produce more sulfur compounds during primary fermentation. Many first time lager brewers are astonished by the rotten egg smell coming from their fermentors, sometimes letting it convince them that the batch is infected and causing them to dump it. Don't do it! Fortunately, these compounds continue to vent during the conditioning (lagering) phase and the chemical precursors of other odious compounds are gradually eaten up by the yeast. A previously rank smelling beer that is properly lagered will be sulfur-free and delicious at bottling time. Speaking of Time...

...Lager comes from the German word "lagern" which means to store. A lager beer is in cold storage while it ages in the conditioning phase. Temperature influences lagers in two ways. During primary fermentation, the cooler temperature (45-55 °F) prevents the formation of fruity esters by the yeast. In addition to producing fewer byproducts during the primary phase, the yeast uses the long conditioning phase to finish off residual sugars and metabolize other compounds that may give rise to off-flavors and aromas.

Basically lager yeasts, even more than ales produce a lot of sulphuric and other compounds during fermentation, and then slowly during the lagering phase, clean it up.

I too am confused by the 154 degrees. I cannot think of a temperature scale where this is a proper temperature for fermentation or lagering.

Do you mean 54 degrees?

Yes, 54 degrees.

Revy, thanks for the info. The vienna lager is almost 8 weeks old. Guess more time was needed, I wont make that same choice with my pils.

Any thoughts on what to do with the Vienna now that its in a keg? Age it longer?

Back