Finally found a use for the funnel that clogs so easily...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
The funnel with the filter that is basically useless for transfering from the kettle to the primary...this what I use it for:

Meet "The Vorlaufinator" (why not...everything else here has an "inator" name) :)

IMG_1629.jpg

I wish I would have done this with my last batch which had a LOT more crap make it into the primary. Since then, I shortened my braid and this batch came out exceptionally clear.

I am also experimenting with the 5 gal paint strainer bags. I put one of those in my bottling bucket and transfer the cooled wort (post boil) to it. I then pull the bag and transfer the strained wort to the primary. I probably ended up with 1/3 pound of sediment in the bag. I know some say that sediment is a good thing and should not be avoided...just wanted to try this as an experiment.

IMG_1620.jpg

John

I use the paint bags and a similar funnel to get into my carboys post boil...Usually catch some globs of hop residue that make it through the CFC... Every little bit helps when the clearing stages start...

Cool technique. I don't know a ton about the fine details of brew biochemistry but IIRC the sediment provides a lot a nitrogenous material that acts as yeast nutrient. So lack of sediment may increase fermentation lag time, but I also may be blowing smoke out of my a**... either way it'll make great beer. And as Duckfoot said, it will probably clear faster.

If you are filtering the vorlauf I don't see the point. The point of vorlaufing is to return the actual vorlauf to the grain bed so that the grain bed can act as a filter. Essentially any grain you filter out would have been added right back into the mash anyway.

The paint strainer idea seems like a good one.

If you are filtering the vorlauf I don't see the point. The point of vorlaufing is to return the actual vorlauf to the grain bed so that the grain bed can act as a filter. Essentially any grain you filter out would have been added right back into the mash anyway.

+1, an unnecessary step imo.

I do ues the paint strainer in the bucket trick on occasion, it works well.

Latest posts

Back