Decrease in Hop Sack Utilization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I started using hop sacks about 4 brews ago -- I'm just now tasting the results.

I've noticed that the bittering is still very present -- however the hop flavor and aroma just doesn't seem to come through the way I would like. Is this something that others are experiencing as well?

I use pellet hops.

I'm also seeing this a bit with mine but i use a pretty large sack...

I think for hop aroma though I might consider building a hop back... Anyone here do this?

I've been sacking the bittering addition and free floating the aroma/flavor but I also have a screen on my pickup and use whole leaf when possible.

I have a bazooka screen on my pickup too -- that thing gets clogged super easy though. I may try going naked again soon. I dunno, hard to tell what to do -- it's been really nice being able to not worry about that garbage getting into my fermenter.

I definitely noticed an increase in bitterness when I stopped 'sacking' my hops.

I made the same recipe twice, changing only the sack, and it actually made it undrinkable. It was a dry stout.

Back