Brew Day - IPA vs Hefeweizen - UGGG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Well, today I went out of my comfort zone and brewed a Bavarian Hefeweizen..

This one...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

I've brewed around 10 All Grain batches now, all IPA's and II IPA's and just trying to venture out a bit haha

First off, i guess I should have did a little research on the grain absorption of the grains for wheat beers vs IPA's. I ended up with a 1/2 gallon less than expected from my 1st runnings!

I'm also having issues with my Hydrometer OR my Refractometer..

I mostly have been using my refractometer on brew days and just use the hydrometer for checking FG's.

Today my numbers were all screwed up! haha

Originally in Beer Smith I had it set for a 5.25 gallon batch and a 7 gallon boil.

I just changed everything to reflect my brew day and here's the deal...

Ended up with a 6.5 gallon boil and boiled down to 5.

Beer Smith says 1.048 preboil gravity, I got 1.039
Beer Smith says 1.063 OG, I got 1.046

Both those readings were with the refractometer calibrated with distilled water.

Sooo, i decided to get out the hydrometer and calibrated it with distilled water and it reads 1.002

Using the hydrometer I get an OG reading of 1.054 so taking off the .002 I get 1.052

I have no idea what's going on and why the different in the 2 readings from the calibrated hydrometer and the calibrated refractometer.

So now I'm thinking the refractometer reading for the preboil was off and it could have been around 1.045

I have my efficiency set at 75% and have been hitting that with my IPA brews with 7 gallon boils and 5.25 gallons into the fermenter.

Btw, I used 3.5 gallons of strike water for 11 lbs of grain and got 2 out, and just stuck with my batch sparge numbers and went with 4.5 gallons on the single batch sparge.

90 mash at 153 and did loose a few degrees by the end.

186 degree batch sparge for 168 @ 10 minutes

I reckon if I had ended up with 7 gallons like I normally get, my efficiency would be even worse..

THOUGHTS??

Back