Aerating/Filtering With March Pump & Splashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshwoodward

Reaction score
While brewing a batch this week, I had an idea. After boiling, I have a March pump that I was running while using my immersion chiller to circulate the wort around and speed up the process. While it was hot, I was being careful not to splash to avoid hot-side aeration. That got me to thinking about what temperature that stops being a problem, which in turn got me thinking that I should start splashing it on purpose once I got it cooled down. That seemed suspiciously similar to transferring into the fermenter, where I'd normally use a strainer to separate the hops, so I realized I could filter most of the gunk out during the kettle recirculation/splashing phase by holding a strainer in place. When I was done, I put the tube back into the kettle to whirlpool the rest.

After I was done, I had a kettle of wort with the gunk mostly filtered out and a very healthy head of bubbles on top.

My search-fu could be failing me, but I couldn't find any references to doing this. Is there something I'm missing that would make this a bad idea?

seems reasonable, i always just keep the hose only an inch or two into the mouth of the fermenter when pumping through the cfc so i get lots of splashing as the carboy fills. Ill probably go to an o2 and stone setup soon but that method has worked up to this point. The other thought would be rigging up something similar to the aerators on the end of the hose (http://morebeer.com/products/siphon-spray-wort-aerator.html) and get even more dissolved oxygen.

Latest posts

Back