Advice for water profile additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrhamm

Reaction score
I recently got the results back from my Ward Labs Brewer's test kit. I plugged the numbers into Bru'n Water and have been playing around with the Water Additions section with little success. It seems there are no additions I can make without putting some ion into a non-ideal state. It seems I have a troublesome level of Chloride?

I know there is a ton of information on water profiles out there, but I'm still trying to catch up on learning about the other areas of brewing. Can somebody take a look at my numbers and recommend an "all purpose" water addition? My goal would be to dial in on an addition I can use in all my brews (at least for a while) so I can eliminate this as a variable from my brew day. I suppose I'd lean toward something that accentuates hoppiness.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 10.56.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 11.10.57 AM.png

Dilute with 4 or perhaps even 5 parts RO water and follow the Primer. That's about as 'all purpose' as it gets and that's what it is intended to be. Yes, your chloride is quite high as are your sodium and potassium. Not sure I've ever seen potassium that high and have no idea what that might do to beer. How does the water taste? RO may be your only option here if the high levels of those ions are a problem. This is the only practical way to 'remove' ions.

If I needed to dilute with 4 to 5 parts RO or distilled, I think I'd just start with all RO and build up from there. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice, I did a 12 gallon batch of Jamil's ESB and I diluted my water with half RO from wal-mart and added very small additions of Epsom Salt and Gypsum (following Bru'n Water calcs).

Back