Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sauerkraut gose before and after adding yeast. The pellicle formed 2 days after brewing, but fermentation never kicked off. This is one week in primary with a pitch of active brine.

So you made some kraut and used the brine to get things going? I guess that is one way of getting the salt in there. Interesting.

It's really hard to tell from the pic if the dark spots are wort or something growing on top. If it's a growth, I'd be more iffy on it. If not, it's probably fine. I've made some really good sauerkraut that had some gnarly mold on top. Scouped it off and the rest was great! If you're not comfortable drinking it, don't let me talk you into it.

If you can get something to keep the cabbage down, you really shouldn't see any mold. I have also read to just skim it should any appear.

If you can get something to keep the cabbage down, you really shouldn't see any mold. I have also read to just skim it should any appear.

I've since acquired a nice kimchi fermenter that has a baffle in it with a little purge hole so you can press all the air out and get no mold. It works really well.

So you made some kraut and used the brine to get things going? I guess that is one way of getting the salt in there. Interesting.

Exactly. I let it go a few days to let the bugs do their thing and then pitched yeast.

Here's a saison I started at the beginning of March. It won't age as long as I would like since I need to have it ready around mid June. But it's got a nice funky smell coming from it so I have hope. I used 3711 and then Brett L about 4 days in.

View attachment 1461199067251.jpg

I've been collection dregs from bottles of various sour beers from a local brewery here in London Ontario (forked river brewery). I'm going to pitch these while moving a sour blonde into secondary this week. The second picture is a zoom in. Very cool looking!!

View attachment 1461708765697.jpg

View attachment 1461708795264.jpg

I've been collection dregs from bottles of various sour beers from a local brewery here in London Ontario (forked river brewery). I'm going to pitch these while moving a sour blonde into secondary this week. The second picture is a zoom in. Very cool looking!!
Dude that is sofa king cool looking. It almost looks like ramen noodles!

Crazy. I've seen a lot of similar pictures, but nothing where the lines looked so defined. How thick it is overall?

Good to hear! It's my first shot at a sour...I wasn't really sure what to expect - or if this was even "good" or not!

Thanks for the reassurance!

Yep it's normal. I don't remember which, but one of my ECY blends looked exactly like that. I feel like it was one batch done with dirty dozen. I also had it happen in the ECY vial after reharvesting some of the yeast, and a starter did that once when I was stepping up dregs.

ok so this doesn't match the ones above... but it is my first! yay. a proper start of pellicle :)
this is on a single demijohn of an extract saison I did using the belle saison yeast in primary. this had the yeast bay lochristi pitched to it, and some bottle dregs.

IMG_20160524_221332202_zpsyq6oaiki.jpg

Here's a rather funky one for you all!!

Anyone seen something similar before?
I've currently got this yellowish, crystalline surface on a batch.
It is not intentional, but the beer was a trial including funky jam (jelly to Americans).

Do you think ithe infection is bacteria based or maybe some sort of mould?

The beer tastes good and smells ok, so I'm going to use it to try a few things , but keen to hear of anyone's experience!!

infection1.jpg

infection2.jpg

infection3.jpg

Anyone seen something similar before?
I've currently got this yellowish, crystalline surface on a batch.

infection1.jpg

infection2.jpg

infection3.jpg

Crystalline structure is strange. IMO def not "wild" or brett related. Is this a no chill? Whats your water chemistry? Any brewing or belgian sugars added that could attribute to crystals?!

Preserves too

Don't forget preserves

& we invented everything... internal combustion engine, soft serve ice cream, rock & roll, crack cocaine

Everything

No Belgian sugars used.

The jam was added to end of boil.

Anyone else seen this sort of thing?
What about the top film pelicle? Looks pretty normal eh?

I wondered about the pectin too.
I added pectic enzyme to try and counter, but was guessing with quantities so probably not enough.

What do you reckon to the central surface pellicle? Normal enough for typical infection?

I was super excited like a kid on Christmas morning when it popped up. "Sweet now I have a pellicle I can be proud of". Yours was stepped up bottle dregs as well? I wonder what makes the weird raisin skin looking stuff (as opposed to the other types of pellicles).

Yes - it was stepped up dregs. This was my first sour, but spent s lot of time perusing this thread. Was surprised when I saw something so similar! Not sure what's causing it....but it's awesome! 😃

I was super excited like a kid on Christmas morning when it popped up. "Sweet now I have a pellicle I can be proud of". Yours was stepped up bottle dregs as well? I wonder what makes the weird raisin skin looking stuff (as opposed to the other types of pellicles).

Yes - it was stepped up dregs. This was my first sour, but spent s lot of time perusing this thread. Was surprised when I saw something so similar! Not sure what's causing it....but it's awesome! 😃

Preserves too

Don't forget preserves

& we invented everything... internal combustion engine, soft serve ice cream, rock & roll, crack cocaine

Everything

:rockin: you could get in your car and drive to get soft serve while smoking crack and listening to rock n roll. God bless America.

Back