Gose has Bready/Doughy Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHBrews

Reaction score
So just cracked open my first few bottles of My first attempt at a Gose (full recipe/souring method below.) I'm getting a bit of a Bready/Doughy aroma and to a lesser extent flavor in the beer. Sourness and salt/coriander are a bit subdued vs what I remember Westbrook tastin like, but are relatively well balanced and I'm happy for a first attempt. For my next attempt I would like to reduce/remove the bready/doughy aroma/flavor and was hoping some may have advice on what to change. I'm leaning towards using a different yeast, any suggestions?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham (1 packet, rehydrated)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.006
IBU: 6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3-4SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 Weeks @ 62F ambient

5lbs White Wheat Malt (50%)
4lbs Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner (40%)
1lbs Acidulated Malt (10%)

Mashed Wheat, Pilsner and 4oz of Acid Malt at 148F for 60 minutes, then added additional 12oz of Acid Malt to mash for additional 45min. Mashed in this method to allow Wheat and Pilsner to mash at ~5.2ph then lowered ph to 4.7-4.8 with additional acid malt to create wort conditions favorable to Lactobacillus growth and inhibit "bad bugs" (e.g. Clostridium botulinum)

Raised to 169 for "mash out" for ~10min. Used BIAB method, so no sparge.

Boiled wort for 15min to de-aerate as some bad bugs can survive at lower ph but are aerobic (e.g. Acetobacter). Unclear if this step was necessary, but seemed like a reasonable hypothesis, with little downside.

Quickly cooled wort to 110 with immersion chiller then pitched 1 cup uncrushed acid malt (in a sock), covered tightly with Saran Wrap, pushing all air bubbles out and put in a DIY insulated heating chamber set to 110F (had trouble keeping it there as the room it was in was in the 30s and heater was 100W, but stayed above 100F.). Ph of wort did not drop meaningfully over first 36hrs, but then dropped to 3.8 and stabilized there by the 72hr mark. Smell was bready/clean the entire time, no vomit/stinky diaper. Saved a bit of the sediment and have since stepped up several times with 1.035 dme wort to 1L starter so I can re-pitch same bugs in next batch rather than relying on grains for bugs.

Then did the boil as follows

Boil Time: 60min

0.50 oz - Hallertauer Mittelfruh (2.9 AA) for 60min ~5 IBUs
17g Himalayan Pink Salt for 10min
0.5oz crushed coriander for 10min

Cooled to 62F, pitched 1 packet rehydrated Nottingham. Slow bubbling of airlock within 8hrs and vigorous activity by 16hrs. Airlock activity slowed dramatically by day five, at 1 week hit 1.007 and stabilized at 1.006 by 2 weeks. Bottle conditioned targeting 2.9vols.

I noticed something similar with my first (and only) sour mashed Berliner Weisse. I used WY1007, and I've never used nottingham, so I can't attest to that part of it, but I got a sharp, bready, almost pungent nose. It was very unpleasant but, after about 3-4 months in the bottle, it cleaned up and was/is delicious. A lot of people use sour mash/wort techniques for the speed, but I didn't find it to be any faster than using a pure strain of lactobacillus in the fermenter. Give it some time, and I'll bet it comes around.

I noticed something similar with my first (and only) sour mashed Berliner Weisse. I used WY1007, and I've never used nottingham, so I can't attest to that part of it, but I got a sharp, bready, almost pungent nose. It was very unpleasant but, after about 3-4 months in the bottle, it cleaned up and was/is delicious. A lot of people use sour mash/wort techniques for the speed, but I didn't find it to be any faster than using a pure strain of lactobacillus in the fermenter. Give it some time, and I'll bet it comes around.

Good to know nothing went "wrong" with it, will put some away for a couple months and see if the doughyness fades at all.

I get that from most of the Gose (and to a greater extent Berliner Weisse) I've had in Germany. I like it. The fruitiness and salt/sour were very complementary to it.

Mine has a sweet doughyness rather than pungent so not bad tasting and does go well with the other flavors as you noted, but was hoping for a clean, crisp tartness that I remember Westbrook having (really need to get my hands on a can for a side by side). Good to know the German versions have a similar nose, never had one, thanks

Mine has a sweet doughyness rather than pungent so not bad tasting and does go well with the other flavors as you noted, but was hoping for a clean, crisp tartness that I remember Westbrook having (really need to get my hands on a can for a side by side). Good to know the German versions have a similar nose, never had one, thanks

I would describe it as a softer Grape Nuts aroma that I get. I get something similar in Westbrook when it's fresh. But if you put any age on that beer it gets very acidic and tart. I mean a lot. Anderson Valley is a decent example of what it should be. If you are shooting for authentic and can't get a somewhat fresh Leipziger Gose. And for under $20. I used to get them fresh and cheap in Germany. Some age on those and they get more bready with some Fruity Pebble notes.

Back