Flanders red commercial examples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I am trying to get more in to sour ales. I plan on going to a beer/wine store that has a very wide selection tomorrow. The plan is to bring my friend from California some local favorites when I go to visit him next week, but who's to say I can't pick up something for myself?

Anyways, I was wondering if there were any good/recommended commercial versions of the style that I could try to get my hands on. Let me know by tomorrow morning and I will look out for them.

This is a few of them, top list is in order I would personally buy them, others may disagree, bottom list I have yet to try

Oh and BFM Grand Cru, while not technically a red would be a great one to try as well, the trousseau aged one is my favorite

Rodenbach Grand Cru
Monks Cafe
Vichtenaar
Verhaege
Bacchus
New Belgium La Folie
Zoetzuur
Duchess

Lost Abby Red Poppy
Panil Barique

What style is Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja considered to be?

Good catch forgot that one, I would put that one somewhere mid-list

As to everyone loving duchess, I just dont get it, it has some really weird phenols/esters and the fact that its sweetened bothers me a bit

Thanks for the help, everyone.

The store has Duchesse de Bourgogne, Rodenbach and Vichtenaar. I'll check all those out.

I have some of the same issues with the duchesse sweetness too, but it's not a bad starter sour. The Oud Bruin from Petrus is pretty common and not to shabby. Highly recommend anything in the Jolly Pumpkin line. If you're wanting to get into sours don't limit yourself the reds, there are some pretty phenomenal wilds out there that don't fit a real style. Also, you should be able to get beers from the Bruery in IN, I drive over the rive to pick those up from time to time. While not really a sour, the Saison Rue is very good. Oh, and if you're visiting a friend in California, be sure to stock up on Russian River.

If you 're going to mention Bruery you might also check out Oude Tart from them if you can find it. Although, good luck getting a bottle and I'm not selling you mine.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I ended up getting Verhaeghe Vichtenaar and Duchesse de Bourgogne.

I am drinking the Duchesse now, and I am a fan. You can taste the oak and a strong sour cherry flavor. Lots of umami. It's both soda-like and vinegar-like (but both in a good way). It's a little on the sweet side, but I'm a fan.

I'll update you on my thoughts on Verhaeghe Vichtenaar as soon as I try it.

Back