ECY Bugcountry 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
Just scored a vial at love2brew.

What are you going to make with yours?

I scored one and will probably make a base lambic and then decide later what I want to age on and add...be it some oak or fruit.

I do have one question: Does anyone have a good way to save some of this for another batch? I worry that if i make a starter with half of it the ratios will be all off. Any ideas on how to save\create more of this awesome blend?

I've reused Bugfarm and Bugcounty slurry, I really dont know how you could keep the blend proportions the same. I just pitched the slurry along side ECY08 Saison Brasserie so there was plenty of sacch to go along whatever was going on in the blend after harvesting.

Not exactly re pitching Al's blend but it gets you close. Some people pitch only half the vial and save the other half for the next beer, I've done that to.

I ordered some, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Does anyone have a sense of what I can expect from it as a primary pitch vs. a secondary? It sounds like there is no primary sach. strain in the blend:

There will be a total of 20 organisms in the culture: Brettanomyces yeast make up the bulk of the blend (15 strains/species) including bruxellensis, lambicus, clausenii, anomala, custersianus, nanus, naardenensis. Bretts from the old ECY blends #1 and # 9 are back including not one but two stains from Drie Font. Also the brett from ECY03 was included of course.

A wild yeast isolated from gueuze was added called Pichia membranefacians. Although very little impact is expected from this oxidative yeast (no acetic acid was detected), it is likely to assist in pellicle formation.

Two Saccharomyces yeast are included. One a sherry yeast, the second a close relative of S. cerevisae called S. paradoxus. Paradoxus has been linked to wine additions for its aromatic properties, pectinase activity, and the ability to partially convert malic to lactic acid.

Finally, two lactobacilli are added with a healthy dose of slime-producing Pediococcus. Slime produced will dissapear and be consumed by Bretts adding more complexitiy.

BugCounty is intended for all kinds of wild beers - especially lambic-style ales, Oud Brune/Flemish red ales. BugCounty will infect any beer.

I'm not sure what I am doing with mine yet either. Thinking an flanders red or oud bruin base with some fruit at a later date.

I started my Lambic Solera with 2 vials, Bugfarm 6 which was actually Bugcounty this year. I took a whiff the other day, only 3 months old but its smelling nice. I did add some other Sacch though, slow starter.

A lot of dregs were added as well though.

http://riverwards.blogspot.com/2013/08/philambic-solera-brew-day.html

Why freak out after a day or two and pitch more sacc with this blend? It's not just you, I've seen many people post the same thing. Lambic can take days, weeks, or even months to show visible signs of fermentation, why worry when lamebic does the same?

When I make sours to emulate limbic, I underpitch the living not out of the wort. I am talking like 1/4 an ECY vial for 10-13gal. Ooh yeah and the vial is old as when bug county was first released. Makes great beer, lambic naturally has low cell counts due to the spontaneous process. The American coolship ales paper shows a cell density approaching conventional wisdom pitching rates at the peak of primary fermentation many days into the fermentation. Now if you're going for a Flanders then I'd certainly add more yeast, but to do your best at a lambic, pitch very little and the culture do its thing.

Why freak out after a day or two and pitch more sacc with this blend? It's not just you, I've seen many people post the same thing. Lambic can take days, weeks, or even months to show visible signs of fermentation, why worry when lamebic does the same?

Yea it was a little bit of a panic move on my part, but my experience with that blend is it doesnt seem to get going unless you can warm it up to 70f plus. I really had no good way of heating a 15 gallon stainless keg up 4-5 degrees, 24 hours after I pitched (I pitched at 69f) the wort temp was 66f.

I also waited 48 hours for the wort to cool down prior to pitching, so it had been over 4 days since brewday without activity. I dont think its going to hurt me much in the long run. But I guess we will see, I'm learning as I go.

My friend and I are doing a 10 gallon batch with the cantillion turbid mash schedule. Half is getting bug county, and half is getting the flanders blend.

When I make sours to emulate limbic, I underpitch the living not out of the wort. I am talking like 1/4 an ECY vial for 10-13gal. Ooh yeah and the vial is old as when bug county was first released. Makes great beer, lambic naturally has low cell counts due to the spontaneous process. The American coolship ales paper shows a cell density approaching conventional wisdom pitching rates at the peak of primary fermentation many days into the fermentation. Now if you're going for a Flanders then I'd certainly add more yeast, but to do your best at a lambic, pitch very little and the culture do its thing.

I've never heard of this and it would certainly be awesome to make several batches with one package. Do you have any additional resources on this technique?

No additional sources other than academic papers discussing cell densities of lambic and the American coolship ale paper. Other than that I have practical experience utilizing the technique. I have fermented a couple batches of wort brewed as a saison with just minute amounts of straight lambic/gueuze bottle sediment and pitched nothing else. I had a ripping fermentation in 3 days from my saved up lambic/gueuze bottle yeast/bacteria. It is a unique looking krausen too very milky and smells a bit off. It then developed a musty pineapple like aroma

Back